Author Topic: Rear sight adjusted  (Read 4841 times)

CZ04FT

Rear sight adjusted
« on: March 22, 2012, 11:43:03 AM »
On my way to my local indoor shooting range yesterday, I stopped at a gunsmith shop I hadn't visited before. It was just a visit to get to know the personnel and where the shop was located. The owner happened to be out, but someone working in the shop was very helpful. My rear sight was not centered in the dovetail. It came to me that way. I don't know if the sight shifted in transit, or came from the factory that way. The plastic box was cracked, and piece of it were missing. I was so excited when it arrived at my FFL, I didn't notice this. The target that came with the pistol showed that the hit spot was left and low of the aim spot. Looking at the rear sight, you could see that it was off set to the left, looking from the top down on the hammer, muzzle pointing away from you. One of the smith's there tapped the sight more to the center of the dovetail. Before you could feel the edge of the sight sticking over the left side of the dovetail.

This smith told me about a website that has targets you can print out to help you correct aiming problems you might have. These are free targets you can print out and take to your local range. (There are several such websites, but this one is easy to use.)

http://www.persecusa.com/html/free/freestuff-targets.htm#DIAG

Scroll down about halfway and you'll find the targets for diagnosing common shooting errors for right and left  hand shooters. I wish I had some of the targets to take with me to the range. I noticed when I got home that I have multiple problems. The major one is the lack of consistency. It just means I need more range time. And patience to get repeatability in my shooting. I hope these will be useful to you at the range.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Rear sight adjusted
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 06:09:38 PM »
             I just printed out everything they offered, can't wait to get to the range tomorrow and use all of them. Thanks a bunch for postings that link. I actually have a couple copy on 8.5 by 11 paper of the aiming ajustment target, but the pocket sized ones are even better casue now I can give them away, and the rest of the targets I will be using a lot.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

CZ04FT

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 06:50:50 PM »
GhostWarrior,

I hope you find them useful, and that other users of this forum get some benefit from them as well.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 07:33:18 AM »
I'd guess that it might have come that way from the factory. Maybe the reason the test target was printed to the left. Remember, you would move the rear sight in the direction you want to move the bullet. So by moving it to the right would help you get centered. The vertical string would vary with 1) sight picture, 2) bullet weight, 3) bullet velocity, 4) grip pressure.
I've had some pistols that I had to drift the rear sight considerably left or right to get on the bull. That's the reason it can be adjusted. What's more important, shooting accurate or having the rear sight all centered and pretty?
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

CZ04FT

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:58:18 AM »
I would definitely vote for shooting accurate. I was thinking that the sight being off center to the left was causing the shots to go in that direction. I used the supplied target as evidence that it came from the factory that way, and it wasn't just my poor shooting. The adjustment appears to have brought the hit spot closer to the aim spot.

Now I have to work on getting the elevation right, and to be able to repeat it over and over. I'll keep in mind what you said. "The vertical string would vary with 1) sight picture, 2) bullet weight, 3) bullet velocity, 4) grip pressure."

Thanks.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 04:17:57 AM »
      Sweet! I just learned 2 new things. Cause I have a psitol that the rear site is way left on. But I don't think it came from the factory that way. Thanks guys!

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

bre346

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »
Yeah, DeeDubya has the right question.

The gun is to shoot and hit the target. The sights should point to that target.
So,adjust whichever, however, by whatever means. I remember wracking a gun against an iron angle to move the rear sight over another smidgen. Not smart but it worked.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 01:13:51 PM »
         I think that's covered under the rules regarding "Field Expediency" Methods in the Survival hand book.  :cool: Chapter 7 I think.