Author Topic: CZ550 Varmint  (Read 13483 times)

redlegrifle

CZ550 Varmint
« on: February 01, 2012, 09:44:13 PM »
   So I have a CZ550 Varmint with a laminated wood stock in .308 ( great shooting rifle .5 to .7 inch groups at 100 yrds. like clockwork ).  My question is it came with a 4 round magazine will the 10 round magazine that comes with the 550 Urban Counter Sniper Rifle fit in my rifle?
   I'm thinking it should fit being they both use the same action.

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
Re: CZ550 Varmint
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:11:34 PM »
Haven't seen the 10-rd mag. Suggest you ask CZ-USA via phone or email.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:09:58 PM »
                   Makes 2 of us, I haven't ever seen a 10 round mag and I own a 550 UCS, guess I should go ask them also.
                   And Welcome to the Forum! Hope you have as much fun here as the rest of us. Amazing group here, good folks one and all.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

h1hummer

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 03:10:54 PM »
Hello all! I am a big fan of the CZ 550 and 527 line-up, but something is making me stop short on buying the varmint kevlar stock in .308. I think it is the action. I do love it, but will I love/ prefer it in sniping. I am looking at the Tikka Varmint in .308. I think the Tikka might win because of the cheek piece and smoother action, but the 550 Kevlar offers the bedding block. I would appreciate some pointers. And does anyone know if CZ will bring 25-06 to the 550 line-up. Thanks.

Trevi-

redlegrifle

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 06:54:05 PM »
I have a friend that has the Tika Varmint in .308, It has a real nice smooth action but, I don't like the Tupperware stock.
I have the 550 Varmint with the Laminate stock, it does weigh about a pound more than the Kevlar stock but has a nice 'cheek piece'  That's just right for me, even with high scope rings.

Now this is a HEAVY rig haven't put it on the scale but its got to be 13 Lbs. or real close ( Rifle, Scope, Rings and sling).
I use it as mostly a target rifle but, I have taken 2 coyotes with it ( yes I know .308 is a bit big for yotes but they don't run when hit).

I have noticed the action has smoothed out some with use, and the single set trigger is outstanding, no creep no slop, just a bit op pressure and BANG.

To tell the truth I don't think you can go wrong with the Tika or the CZ, I think both rifles will out shoot 90% of the guys pulling the triggers.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 03:56:12 PM »
            Anyone want to pop down to Orlando and teach me how to shot my 550 UCS using a honking big NightForce scope? I have never been even vaguely good with nor fond of longguns, but in the last few years I figured I had best step up my game so I went with the best I could find and afford that could be used as an all purpose long gun if the need arose.

My problem is despite "knowing" a goodly number of the tricks, picked up here and there from operators on the same op, I just can't seem to put them into practice. Not even with a bi pod holding up the front of the rifle! I have no clue what I am doing wrong, It's not the breathing part, got that part down, but it has to be something. Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about learning to use my weapon on my own? I even read some of the books I have the theory, almost understand the ballistics and how they are different from pistols, but I sure as heck don't have the skill set? manual dexterity? Mechanics of it down and it's driving me crazy. Am I simply to frackng old (61) to learn something as drasticly different as a longgun is to my small arms?

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 01:14:14 AM »
GW
Please write down your cleaning, preparation and shooting routines; put the paper aside and then read it to make sure that you have it approximately right.

After you have done that, I suggest that you go to the range and attempt to use your writings as a manual. Also record what you do and dont; where the bullets go, and your best assessment as to why.

It may take several goes but you will then be able to provide us with solid data, from which we can assess your particular challenges and hopefully make some useful suggestions. As you will recall, inconsistent positions and simultaneous changes are the usual problems.

A simple reference may be all that you need. Back in my smallbore days I purchased a locally published shooting manual and it included a clock diagram which showed the reasons for various errors with particular reference to prone shooting (much of which applies to sitting shots). You should be able to obtain something from a local club or get one via the NRA. NB Ask them for a basic rifle shooting manual that includes a clock diagram of shooting errors. It should be available for not much more than a McDonalds meal.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 09:04:49 AM »
           Oh wow thanks for that. Sounds like great ideas and I will certainly try to do so. Getting down and up is ot easy but I will deal with that if I can finanly come to terms with longguns that both they and I can live with. And I'll call the NRA today.

redlegrifle

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 08:01:17 PM »
I think ZG is on the money here.  Inconsistent positions will play hell with your shooting.

With new shooters that have had this problem I find marking their body position (on the bench or prone ) with chalk lets you see if they are moving around very clearly, also make sure eye relief is consistent, a small piece of tape on your stock you can feel with your cheek helps make sure your head is always in the same position.  ( hows that for a run-on sentence )

Are you using one kind of ammo?  My rifle likes Federal GMM And Black Hills match both 168 gr. but, don't  seem to like Hornady at all.

If you have a friend that can watch you shoot and see if you are moving around a bunch it helps a lot, if not set up a camera and video yourself.

Good Luck

R. 

redlegrifle

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 08:14:41 PM »
Oh,  I found out about the 10 round mag for the 550 in .308,  its the mag from the 750 Sniper will work in the 550.

But, At $119  it's kind of steep. Time to start saving my lunch money.  ( yes, I know you don't start a sentence with a conjunction thank you Sister Ann. )   

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 09:57:27 PM »
      Wow! I can't you folks enough for the advice! I'll definitely put it to use asap. and thanks for looking up that 10 round mag. and YA 119.00 is a bit steep. I think I'll stick with my 3 and 5 mags until I have a better idea about what I am doing. Thanks again for all the help. Looking forward to taking it out again.

Offline epsanto2

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 06:12:37 PM »
Ghost Warrior, I have the 550 in the 6.5 Swede and was shooting half inch groups.  My son told me it was had a European trigger meant to be touched at the bottom of the trigger not the middle like the American triggers.  The European triggers are not as curved as the American triggers, giving a little more leverage on the squeeze and less pulling the shot when squeezing.  He also told me to hold the stock lower where it drops from the receiver. I did find that touching the bottom of the trigger was a little awkward at first, but moving my hand down on the stock as he suggested was more comfortable with my finger on the bottom of the trigger.  After a few shots, it started to become more routine.  The results:  six shots, three touching on the left of the target, adjusted the scope 1/4 inch to the right and three more shots, two touching, the third with in an 1/8 inch.  This is at 100 yards.  It helped me, maybe it will help you.     

http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/x423/epsanto2/CZ%20Swede/?action=view&current=img006.jpg
".... keep your finger off the trigger and the pointy end down range"

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 01:03:12 PM »
           Wow, that is  a very good group! Once you get it tuned in correctly I do Not want to be down range with you shooting at me. Thank you very much for the advice, I'll add it the rest and see how everything goes.