Author Topic: Range Reports with Proof, er, Pictures  (Read 88413 times)

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Range Reports with Proof, er, Pictures
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2012, 10:35:52 PM »
His Rifle Rocks!. Took out most of the red spot on the target, all his shots could be covered by a quarter
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline sirgilligan

CZ 85B
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2012, 08:55:53 AM »
My Dad is in town and had never seen a CZ. Well, not seeing a CZ before is not unusual. My Dad has shot the Browning High Power and the Beretta 92 (not sure the specific model).
I wanted to show him the capability of the pistol, so I changed my shooting slightly. Instead of reflexive fire, where I pull the trigger when I get back on target (about a second a shot), I shot slow and deliberately. I was free standing as always, no support, or leaning. I use a modified weaver stance, two hand grip, this time with thumbs forward.

I don't think I shamed the CZ too badly. This is five rounds of UMC 115 FMJ at 7 yards.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:12:08 AM by sirgilligan »

kneelingatlas

« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »
This one's from my second trip out with my new TS (10 shots at ten yards):
I'm buying a sight pusher today (mashed the crap out of an aluminum dowel and didn't budget the sight).  And I know this is the CZ forum, but CZ owns Dan Wesson now right?

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »
                        yep. and I am looking forward to reading how everything turns out.

I would however suggest instead of an aluminum rod you use a brass one or Maybe a bronze one, The brass one won't mar your weapon it is slips, and I Think the bronze one won't damage it either. But they will take the pounding an aluminium rod can't and won't. Actually you should even have to put that much effort into moving the site. I'm not sure but the sights may go in the same way some of the pins do, and that's from one side only because they are tapered. You may have been trying to move it from the wrong side?

AH NVRMD if it has to go in that direction then pushing from the other side is pointless. Just ignore this post. But the Brass rods and punches are a good idea to have on hand. I have as big a set as I can find of them.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

kneelingatlas

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2012, 09:29:11 AM »
That's a no go on the sight pusher :embarrassed:

The low profile CZ slide we all love is too low for the sight pusher tool; this is compounded on my TS by the deep cut of the slide which sinks the dovetail even lower in the slide:

The instructions provided say to use shims under the slide to get it up high enough for the pusher to make contact, but with the TS slide I had to use .38" of washers to get the sight into place; with the sight this high in the vise jaws, the moving block tipped out of square causing the slide to slip out the top:

The vise blocks are .75" tall, with .38" of shims, that leaves .37" of slide in the vise, however, because of the shape of the TS slide:

The bottom .21" is narrower and does not make contact with the vise jaws, leaving only the top .16" of the vise jaws to grip the slide.  I thought of ways to make new sight jaws with the correct geometry for CZ slides, but alas, the center lines of the two threaded bolts are too far apart in the frame to make it work.  It could work if the pusher blade was .38" longer and corresponding grooves were cut in the vise blocks, but I fear the torsional forces would be to great on the aluminum block and it would bind up rather than push the sight.

Oh well, I guess it's time to find a brass punch and beat the sight over...

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2012, 08:18:53 PM »
                OK this part is going to be a royal pain. But what say you got someone to help, and that person take x number of washers and tape them in a stack, then holding that stack between the top of the block (Once it was far enough to make initial contact or even a tad short of contact) And then as you tighten the screwgear, they slip washers in behind the taped up ones? That way Possibly you could keep the block as square as possible and move the sight over.

kneelingatlas

« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »
I thought about cutting a piece of aluminum stock just a hair narrower than the slide to keep the jaws square, but the real problem is that there is so little of the slide in the jaws and what is gripped is the serrations, so only half the surface area is metal.

So, I returned the sight pusher, picked up a brass punch and... nothing.  The sight wouldn't budge so I filled the set screw hole multiple times with Aerokroil penetrating oil and let it soak into the dove tail, then sprayed the length of the sight on both sides of the slide.  I beat the hell out of it with the brass punch and it finally let loose.

I'll be checking the zero at the range on Monday.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2012, 03:55:37 PM »

WOW!!!  :shocked:  way to go. And the delicate way you handled the precision work is impressive. BTW was the 2 Lb. Sledge or the 5 Lb. one? :rolleyes:

Seriously,  glad that finally worked it. I was beginning to wonder if somehow it welded itself (Rust? Dirt?) to the slide, and it wasn’t going to come loose.

kneelingatlas

« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2012, 05:59:13 PM »
Actually it was a 16oz ball pein hammer with a 14" handle, but you get the idea...

Rust, not on this baby, it just rolled off the assembly line in April.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:03:31 PM by kneelingatlas »

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2012, 02:45:52 PM »
My brother is out visiting, have to go to a funeral, and we went to the range. First time he ever saw a CZ and thus the first time he ever shot it.
First 5 rounds, free standing, at 7 yards:

He said "What's not to like." He did comment that the double action pull was very smooth and reminded him of some of his S&W revolvers. Truth is I have never fired it double action.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »
Gotta love them CZ's.... :cheesy:
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

b5.5dan

« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2012, 09:48:40 PM »
I LOVE seeing the functionality of GunLog! Sweet program!

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2012, 09:57:55 PM »
Thanks. A good tool for shooters.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2012, 10:03:27 PM »
Do they have an app for Android?
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2012, 10:04:59 PM »
No Andriod app. Maybe someday. Most users use the iPad anyway.