Author Topic: Preferred Shooting Stance Poll and Discussion  (Read 15897 times)

b5.5dan

Preferred Shooting Stance Poll and Discussion
« on: July 08, 2011, 08:04:15 PM »
Howdy!

Here's the official CZ Forum Which Stance Do You Use Poll!  :cheesy:
I made it so you can choose 2; primary and secondary. There are likely other stances if you count all of the little variations, but these are "The Biggies".

So, which do you use, and why? Personally, I use the Weaver, because it's the one I feel most comfortable with. I may try the modified Weaver. I'm still developing my style (if you could call it style at all).

Ok. Have at it, Gents!

Oh. Here are a couple of links with pictures and whatnot...
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&mode=article&objectID=32043

http://www.ehow.com/video_2359773_lean-types-pistol-shooting-stances.html

http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/forum/topic/defensive-shooting-positions

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Preferred Shooting Stance Poll and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 11:02:22 PM »
      Intresting poll, Thanks for putting it up. I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I checked both the Weaver stances, but I actually tend to use a more extreme Modified stance, which puts as little of me in the line of fire as I can get and still have a stable shooting platform, Knees bent. I really am intrested in seeing how this poll goes.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Logan

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 09:47:19 AM »
I was taught (and I think it is popular to do so these days) to use the isosceles. However, I find that when I practice for a sudden attack that I tend to naturally go into more of a modified Weaver, perhaps because I used to do fencing, where the idea was to present as small a target as possible.

So my question is, why the isosceles? I understand you can get better stability, which is great for practice or competition, but what if your target is shooting back at you?

The other thought is, though you are presenting a broader target, your vitals might be safer with an isosceles stance. Right-handed Weaver leaves my left side (and thus heart) as the place most likely to be hit. Puncturing one lung (with isosceles) might be better than puncturing both or even your heart.

So any thoughts on that?
Isosceles: greater chance of being hit, but a hit is probably less likely to kill.
Weaver: less chance of being hit, but a hit is probably more likely to kill.

Offline GM4469

• Authorized Vendor
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 12:02:43 PM »

So any thoughts on that?
Isosceles: greater chance of being hit, but a hit is probably less likely to kill.
Weaver: less chance of being hit, but a hit is probably more likely to kill.

whether true or not.
For those wearing body armor, it has been mentioned that shooting an iso typ stance brings your armor the front. when quartered off you expose a hole in your armor ( arm hole ) to the direction of the attack.

I have been taught in my more recent training, by more and more trainers about squaring up..both rifle and pistol.

As shooting goes. I find it easier and quicker to teach new shooters to shoot well with an iso stance than with the more complex muscle tension needed in a weaver stance.

czcustom.com
stuart@czcustom.com

b5.5dan

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 12:12:37 PM »
I decided that I would start off with the Weaver, but as time went on I came back to the Iso and I do much better. It's probably a good idea to practice all of them, just in case.

Offline GM4469

• Authorized Vendor
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 12:31:12 PM »
always thought knowing them all and spending time practicing unconventional positions was a good investment into the tool box.
hell even a practice a fair amount of shooting and drilling weakhand too.

I remember one training class with John Farnham, he is a proponent of the weaver stance, he was hammering on me to run the weaver ( I was shooting iso ). when it came to night/lowlight shooting, I was like about 90% hit ration on a 10"x6" rectangle plate at 10 yards with the weaver, I would go 100% with the isosceles stance.
He laughed and told me to stick with isosceles stance
czcustom.com
stuart@czcustom.com

jcash46835

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 04:07:49 PM »
I guess I'm the loan Bullesye shooter.  I shoot in an NRA Bulleye match every Thursday with both rim fire and center fire.  Strong foot forward, gun in one hand, no support, 50' indoors.

WHen I practice self defense shooting I don't know what stance it is, but I place the gun firmly in right hand and rest the bottom of the handle on my left hand which cups the gun and right hand...left foot forward, arms straight.

b5.5dan

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 04:39:25 PM »
WHen I practice self defense shooting I don't know what stance it is, but I place the gun firmly in right hand and rest the bottom of the handle on my left hand which cups the gun and right hand...left foot forward, arms straight.
Cup and Saucer.  :cheesy:

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 04:49:14 PM »
Honestly, I just shoot. From what I gather it is most like a modified weaver stance. This is for range shooting.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 05:47:32 PM »
            Frankly I try to find a place to hide and then start shooting  :laugh: If I can't find cover then I simply do the, Weaver dance. (I really am funny, even if I say so myself  :tongue: ).

All kidding aside, until it happens you really have no idea what you will do, you can practice a stance all you want, but when push comes to shove, What happens, and the way you shoot is in the hands of the gods and depends entire on the situation you are in. Also you have got to take in the fact you get old and just don't (I was going to say works anymore, But you folks are all mean spirited pervs and would make me regret that for the next week  :laugh: ), have a choice in what you do before you start shooting. Of course the walker helps as a barrier and a support for shooting............................. :rolleyes:

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 06:11:06 PM »
My Dad is old enough he just leaves the front door open and shoots from the recliner while watching Fox News.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 08:21:52 PM »
 :tongue: :laugh: :tongue: :laugh: :tongue: :laugh: Damn it I was taking a drink when I read that!!!!!!! On the other hand my monitors needed cleaning anyway.   :rolleyes: :cheesy: