Author Topic: Project CZ75 Open Sport  (Read 9364 times)

kneelingatlas

Project CZ75 Open Sport
« on: October 11, 2012, 12:34:06 PM »
This project is getting exciting now!

My 9mm SP01 slide arrived in the mail today and I test fit the barrel and the slide on the gun:

The .40 barrel from my TS slide drops right in and locks up just a tight as the TS, but the new 9mm barrel needs a little trim before it will lock up in either slide (I guess they leave the webstore a little big to be cut to fit).  Please excuse the cell phone pictures, my digital camera is at the office, but rest assured, this tread will be filled with updates.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:40:45 PM by kneelingatlas »

Offline chfields

• Administrator
Re: Project CZ75 Open Sport
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:28:12 PM »
Lookin good!!!!  :cool:
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

kneelingatlas

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »
So, I fit the barrel to the slide last night, but I ran into a problem:  the SP01 uses a skinny hammer like a 75B, not the fat hammer like the TS, so I decided to install the hammer from my 97B in my Tactical Sport (just temporarily to try things out).  I took both guns apart, pounded out the disconnector pin and installed the 97B hammer into the TS, everything was working well until I put on the slide; apparently the difference in the hooks on the hammer is significant enough that with the trigger bow riding on the underside of the slide it just barely misses the sear.  So just about the time I was giving up on that idea and putting the guns back together, I had an idea:  my local range has a 75B in the rental rack and as a member, I get free rentals!  So the range rented me this test mule:

I fired 100 flawless rounds through the gun and even with the stock DA trigger of the rental mule, I was able to post this ten shots at ten yards after I got it sighted in:

So now it's off to the machine shop to have the barrel threaded for the comp.

My idea is to use the test mule again to try out the upper with the comp before I do any irreversible mods to my TS or my SP01 slide.  When I'm happy with the upper (comp installed) I plan to mill out the notch in the back of the slide wide enough to accept the TS hammer and if I like shooting my new Open Sport I'll cut back the dust cover to match the face of the comp, machine the front of the slide, for a cleaner looking index with the comp, knock off the sights, install a slide racker, then mount a Quinn III and C-more, maybe a frame reduction before I refinish it in black.  Good times ahead!

kneelingatlas

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 01:37:22 PM »
I ended up buying an M14X0.75 die and threading the barrel myself:

So here's the Open Sport version 1.0:

The three port comp is too much for factory Minor loads, so I'm going to get my hands on some Major loads and see how she works.  I'm also going to try one and two port comps.

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 02:31:06 PM »
That actually looks pretty badass!

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »
So what's the update? Or am I that far behind that you already posted the update in a different thread? I love reading about the mods everyone makes especially the mods they do themselves. Makes me wish I had that sort of skill set, but I know better and will stink with the skill set I have working on computers.  :grin:
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

kneelingatlas

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 03:02:50 PM »
Ask and ye shall receive:

I've drilled and tapped the frame for a C-more mount/thumb rest and swapped the three port comp for a two port 9mm (the three port turned out to be a .40 comp with .4125" exit holes!)  A friendly Czechmate shooter sent me a sample of his 9Major loads which work pretty well with the three port comp, although I can tell I'm losing a lot of gas out of the big holes.  I'll be shooting with the dot for the first time tomorrow so I'll post my reactions, but for now here are the pics:

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 03:55:43 PM »
Very nice! can't wait for your reactions...
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 05:38:53 PM »
OK this is not to proper place to post this question and I will make a copy and post it where it should go, actually 2 places it could easily go, but in the mean time, this is as good, so here's the question. Does anyone know of anyone that has extended barrels for the CZ 97 .45? I would perfer a threaded one if possible, but so far I haven't found anyone making a barrel that long?, big?. I'm still thinking of having the slide reduced weight wise, but the barrel is top of the list just now.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

kneelingatlas

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »
Ghost Warrior, I wouldn't hold my breath for an extended barrel on the 97B, the linkage is different than the 75 line and I'm not sure of any other pistol it would interchange with.  An extended barrel on a Witness .45 on the other hand is a piece of cake.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 07:56:12 PM »
oh well  :cry: :cry: :cry: 

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 09:34:45 AM »
Could always have one custom machined. It'll cost $300-$400. Maybe more.

kneelingatlas

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 07:15:59 PM »
I was just catching up on the forum a bit and thought I would drop off and updated picture:

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 08:14:44 PM »
That is Really nice! I would never have thought to mount the red dot sideways. How did you come up with that idea? and how did you mount it?

kneelingatlas

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 09:34:59 PM »
The horizontal CMore is all the rage in USPSA Open; the dot indexes more like iron sights.