Author Topic: CZ-50 Waiting for me  (Read 8661 times)

CZ04FT

CZ-50 Waiting for me
« on: July 06, 2012, 09:40:45 AM »
I just purchased a CZ-50 from a gentleman on GunsAmerica.com. It has little holster wear. Its condition was the best that I've seen. It came with a holster and two magazines. I have two more magazines on order. It is at the FFL dealer's right now, until the CA 10 day waiting period expires. I'll get it about the middle of this month.

The CZ-70 is nearly identical, but it is not legal in CA. The CZ-50 is on the BATFE C&R list. That's another reason for getting a type 03 FFL, you can buy/own guns that the general public can't. I'm hoping someone steps up to the plate and fights the battle with the BATFE to put the CZ-70 on the C&R list. Afterall, the CZ-70 is nearly 50 years old and has seen public service with the Czech Police and Military. It should qualify for C&R status just as the CZ-82 has, plus the fact that it is older.

Also, I like the fact that the CZ-50 has only 43 parts. I might get to the point where I can work on this gun myself. Taking it apart and putting it back together again in a working condition. I'm hoping this forum can help me if (when) I get in to trouble.

I'll have to buy some 32 ACP ammo. I've heard that it is best to use S&B, or some other European 32 ACP ammo. Otherwise there may be some feeding issues due to slightly different dimensions of American 32 ACP ammo. What has been forum member experiences with Federal or WWB 32 ACP? Have you have any problems? What about Hallow point ammo? Has that caused any problems? Thanks for any responses!

lklawson

Re: CZ-50 Waiting for me
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 09:54:47 AM »
I'll have to buy some 32 ACP ammo. I've heard that it is best to use S&B, or some other European 32 ACP ammo. Otherwise there may be some feeding issues due to slightly different dimensions of American 32 ACP ammo.
Extraction issues are more common.  Still due to the same issue: slightly different dimensions, this time at the semi-rim.

What has been forum member experiences with Federal or WWB 32 ACP? Have you have any problems? What about Hallow point ammo? Has that caused any problems? Thanks for any responses!
Hollow points are typically under Minimum OAL for the round and are generally seen to create the risk of rim-lock (where the round on top gets "behind" the round beneath it and the semi-rims "gear" together and won't let the top round slide off the top of the stack).  Many people also feel that .32ACP lacks the energy to expand and still penetrate sufficiently.  The commonly accepted desired penetration is the highly respected FBI protocol minimum penetration depth of 12".

Some people (such as myself), in order to address these perceived issues, prefer to keep only the round in the chamber and the first round on top of the magazine as JHP with the rest being FMJ when expanding ammunition is carried in this cal.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

CZ04FT

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 09:46:20 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks a lot for the information. I saw that Walmart carried .32 ACP today for $20 per box of 50. Since I plan only range time with this C&R, I'll stay with the FMJ.

Again, thanks.

Frank

lklawson

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 09:51:23 PM »
Still be wary of extraction problems with U.S. made ammo.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

cameramon

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »
The CZ-70 is nearly identical, but it is not legal in CA.

That is absolutely UN-believable.  It's just a little .32 caliber pistol. Just one more reason I'm glad I live in a state with reasonable gun laws.

By the way, the vz70 is a great little gun. You won't find any pistol in the CZ pantheon that is more fun to shoot.

CZ04FT

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 09:04:09 AM »
I bought 2 boxes of Fiocchi 32 ACP ammo from Turner's Outdoors store for just under $17 a box. I'm hoping this ammo will feed and extract as expected. I noticed Turner's had some 9x18 Makarov on hand. I didn't notice the manufacturer. I'm hoping, too, that the Fiocchi is imported and not domestic. An Italian company ammo might work better in the CZ-50. It is FMJ.

cameramon

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 06:59:55 PM »
I bought 2 boxes of Fiocchi 32 ACP ammo from Turner's Outdoors store for just under $17 a box. I'm hoping this ammo will feed and extract as expected. I noticed Turner's had some 9x18 Makarov on hand. I didn't notice the manufacturer. I'm hoping, too, that the Fiocchi is imported and not domestic. An Italian company ammo might work better in the CZ-50. It is FMJ.

I only use Fiocchi Leadless FMJ in my vz70. It's the most powerful round available for in 32ACP and will facilitate proper cycling. The other brands I have tried did not seem to work well. Remington failed to cycle or load properly altogether. AIM Surplus usually has Fiocchi 32ACP for $10 - $11 per box.  Here's a link:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AF32FMJ73&name=Fiocchi+.32acp+73grn+FMJ+50rd+Box&groupid=28

CZ04FT

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 08:25:41 AM »
Thanks for the link! They have better prices than I was paying on some of the other calibers I also use.

cameramon

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 09:08:41 AM »
I have always had good luck with AIM Surplus. Their ammo is always fresh and never looks shopworn. They have really helpful customer service people, too. If you're looking for Mak rounds for your CZ-82, their Novosibirsk rounds are very reliable and only cost around $10 a box. Can't beat that anywhere! Here's a link for that:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AR918FMJ92&name=Russian+9x18+MAK+92grn+FMJ+50rd+box&groupid=45

*In case you don't have a CZ-82 yet, AIM's 82's look almost new. I got one a few months ago that appears never to have been fired. Literally.

CZ04FT

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »
I have been considering another 82 to add to my collection. Forum members recommendations for Aim Surplus has me leaning their way. But... I'm also considering getting a CZ 97B for my next handgun.

So many CZ's, so little money, so little time.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:16:57 AM by CZ04FT »

cameramon

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 05:09:37 PM »
But... I'm also considering getting a CZ 97B for my next handguns.

Sweeeeet!

Powerpuff boy

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 05:46:35 PM »
I can't wait for your range report.  It is not my gun, but I am so excited!   :grin:

BTW, if you are interested in the 97B, Smokyed2 posted  about the availability of the 97B.   Seems like 97Bs are arriving again.   I can tell you they would go fast.

http://www.czforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=256.15

lilmule

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 07:09:58 AM »
As for fiocchi being the most powerfull 32 round not quite so it is a good round-160 fpe.
Seller and bellot-179fpe 3.3 in barrel ppk 3.5 be even more.
European guns need european ammo as it has a wider rim spacing and the guns have extractors to match,other wise jams ff etc.American 32 acp is rather weak in comparison,and no you cant shoot this stuff in your 6 oz keltec,lightweight alloy pistol.I prefer the 70 with its improvements over the 50.
Yes im a mouse gun addict,own a 45 even and love it just lighter to carry a 32 and be able to place shots anywhere wanted.That seller and bellot load is fmj with 13 in penetration in ballistic gel.Wont make a large hole just one where wanted and pretty much all the way thru on an average person.And above the touted fbi 12 in requirement.

lklawson

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 09:11:46 AM »
and no you cant shoot this stuff in your 6 oz keltec,lightweight alloy pistol.
To be fair, a lot of P32 owners do just that.  I CC mine with Euro hardball (currently Geco) in the stack.

Of course, it's kinda like using +P so the user should be fully informed that it could wear his P32 faster if he fed it a steady diet of the stuff.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lilmule

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 10:18:38 AM »
Yes some do another reason so many have frame crack issues on alloy pistols,not just keltec,merly name came off top of my head.Beretta tomcat has a 130 fpe restriction.Others have cup pressure restrictions.
While you may have an unusual strong alloy pistol,its not the norm and not only wear but actual breakage may occur.
Most likly a contributing cause of tomcat frame issues and thus the innox.
Besides a 5 in sight radius is better at point shooting than a 3 1/2.
But my own thoughts
Seller and bellot out of a 3.3 ppk produces 174 fpe,was off a hair but about what the normal alloy short barrel 380
would produce. :cool: