Author Topic: 75/85 Interchangeability?  (Read 9073 times)

Offline Squirrelly85

• I'm always left of the enemy
  • I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
75/85 Interchangeability?
« on: February 14, 2011, 11:04:15 PM »
I recently have been offered a deal by a friend of a friend to purchase his 85 Combat dual tone.  I have been wanting to get a 75B for some time so that I can add a kadet kit to it (as I recently found out from a CZ rep at a factory shoot that it will not fit on a SP-01).  My questions are (if I buy the 85 Combat):  1.  Can I still use the kadet kit on it with no issues?  2.  Could I put a 75B upper on the lower frame of the 85B?  3.  Can I put a .40 75B upper on the lower of the 85 even though its built for a 9mm with no issue?

I know pistols are not as modular and interchangeable as the AR-15 platform but I just want to make sure that if I can essentially own one lower half that fits all the same magazines (85 Combat) would I be able to, in turn, swap out uppers?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 11:33:02 AM by GhostWarrior »
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and provide new Guards for their future security.

The Only Easy Day, Was Yesterday!

Viking

Re: 75/85 Interchangeability?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 09:21:50 PM »
I think the only major difference between the 75 and 85 is the 85 is ambidextrous.
The CZ catalog says the kadet kit "fits most CZ75 and CZ85 models including compacts, SP-01 and P-01. Does not fit 97, 83, 75TS or standard IPSC models."
As far as putting the 40 on a 9 frame, it may fit but will it take 40 magazines?
I would think it wouldn't work.

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 01:34:36 PM »

I was able to contact a rep from CZ in Kansas city and they told me that the 75 and 85 are the same exact gun; less the few minor modifications that CZ made to both.  The 85 can handle at .40 upper but will end up damaging the lower frame over time. Which is fine because I'm getting a Beretta Px4 in a .40 anyways so no big deal.  What the rep suggested to me is that I purchase a 75B or BD in the duo-tone and add the ambidextrous parts myself or have the gun sent out to them and they do it for me. Comparatively its much less expensive and I get my work guaranteed and warrantied.  I'm very much considering that route now because I can still add the kadet to the 75B and have CZ install all the goofy stuff that comes with the 85.
[/size]
[/size]On a side note, the kadet kit WILL NOT fit an SP-01 at all.  I was reassured of this several times by the rep, due to the SP-01 being just a few hundredths of an inch longer then the 75B.  The added length  of the SP-01 will not allow the slide to fully eject the spent round and in turn will not allow the next round to be chambered causeing jams on a consistent basis. if you or anyone else can prove them wrong and show me that it fits just fine, I would be more then willing to buy the kit and send the evidence to CZ.
[/size]
[/size]I like their company and their employees always seem to want to give you the best and they take suggestions and criticism very well, atlease in my experience.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and provide new Guards for their future security.

Viking

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 07:01:37 PM »
Another gun. That's cool.
If the rep. told you it don't fit, then it don't fit. I copied the the add word for word from thier catalog. I was thinking about the 75 and 85. It didn't even occur to me that you also mentioned the P-01 until after I sent the message.
If you talk to the rep. again, maybe you should tell him that there is a misprint on page 13 of the CZ catalog.

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »
Yeah another gun.  I'm 25 live alone and have more money then I know what to do with.  I save a lot but I also get bored easily.

I will mention that to him the next time I speak with him

Viking

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 07:26:02 PM »
Your living the good life! I'm 47 and it took years to build my collection. Just bought my first CZ. I have lots of guns to compare it with. I'm impressed. I'll be buying more CZ's in the future. I like historical guns and consider the surplus from the East Bloc countrys historical.
CZ has the 82 ( Makarov ). My 75B is like a modern East Bloc gun. It's really hard to believe a country that was communist not so long ago could put out a pistol of this quality.

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 07:38:04 PM »
I'd love to get into historical guns.  I actually have a M1 Garand but I never fire it.  I'd love to get a M1903 Springfield and a Mauser 98k.  I like the WW1-Vietnam ear guns that set the base for what we use today in modern combat.  And to tell you the truth, I'd take a Garand or Enfield into battle sometimes more so then an M4.  And as for long range targets my top three are the M1903, M14A1, & the Barrett MRAD.  I have an AR-15 (.308) that I use to hunt with that works well enough but looses its accuracy at around 800 yards.  But I my buddies M14 stays true all the way out to 1000 yards.

But I plan on acquiring as many CZ models, rifles and pistols, as I can.  Their simplicity, ergonomics, and accuracy are unmatched in my opinion.  Plus you can't beat the price tag for most of them.

I'd like to get my own reloading station set up in my garage.  I have a 2 car garage; leaving me half a whole other bay for a work bench and press.  Plus its got gas heaters in and an exhaust system I use in the summer time to pump out the hot air.  If I could set that up, I wonder how long it would take to make my money back on it.  I figure I could charge my friends too, what are friends for right.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 11:26:54 AM by GhostWarrior »

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:00:15 PM »
you are freaking killing me! I swear you are sooooooooooooooooooo close to going on my LIST! Either that or see if I can fudge up docs saying I am a long lost brother well uncle.. ...............................As it stands I have a CZ 550 Urban Counter Sniper in .308, a VZ 24 Brno in .338 Win Mag and a Saiga in .308, I'm working on learning how to shot all of them but I do believer all of them will easily out perform an AR Anything but then I hate anything that starts with AR. Or the ENTIRE M16 crap line, it's aunts, uncles brother sisters cousins etc. Not positive but I'm pretty sure anyone that got the Original M16's when they were first issued probably feel the same way. I have a Winchester Model 1200 12Ga pump 20" that I love and have had for Years and somewhere in the vicinity of 30 other CZ's of various makes an models, But the ones I love the most are the Pre-Ban 75, 52, 82. As old or older than I am (60) and are still tack drivers everyone.. (The pump is what I used for close quater combat/building clearing along with MP5's.) I have used/carried nothing but CZ's since the early 80's and never had a lick of problem.

Once the weather gets above 60 and stays that way I will be out at the range with everything but especially the two Shadow Custom Competitions I really would like to compete for fun at least a couple times before I start my dirt nap. Should be interesting to shoot at targets that aren't trying to kill me.

I wish you the very best and I think you are both on the right tract. Squirrely for your youth and enthusiasm and Viking for your branching out into the CZ Family. You will NOT regret it.

If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 11:30:57 AM »
I love shooting my rifle. It may sound funny but hitting a target at long range, accurately, is like getting an A on a test or something.  It give you a sense of gratification for being able to be so precise.  I had to learn on iron sights as most people do and I had to put in a lot of time and hard work to be able to hit targets consistently at 800 yds or more.  Its still hard for me to do, making sure my math is correct, judging distance, wind, humidity.  Who knew shooting was ever so involved. I actually have my own spread sheet I take with me to the rifle range for my AR's if I need to sight something in or sight in a friends rifle or show them how to.  I did at one point want to be a marine scout sniper, before I even got into shooting.

I wouldn't say i hate the AR platform, but like any weapon it has its limitations and weaknesses.  Thats why companies are still improving on it.  Integrating pistons systems like the AK has to reduce heat and add controllability when being fire at full auto.  Developing systems that can be fired after being submerged in mud and water and sand and wont blow up in your face or render the gun ineffective.  And all the different calibers to make the system truly modular in design.  I like my AR's for their purpose, just like I like my all my guns for their purpose.   I don't think theres one weapon system out there can do it all...just yet...but hopefully CZ makes it.

I wish there were competitions around me that people weren't absolute fanatics about.  Shooting is a sport, and sports are supposed to be fun.  I went to one just to spectate and I went to talk to a few guys to learn a thing or two and they acted like I wasn't even there and then got disgusted when I didn't want them to sign an autograph.  I dont know about people sometimes....hahahaha

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 11:50:45 AM »
Hey don't get me wrong I personally don't trust any weapon that has to have a built in push rod just to help seat the round. Scares me to death! And like I said I got to be one of the folks that got the ORGINAL M16 and the Wrong ammo it was not made for. SO I'm basing my dislike on first impressions and mine was BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDD!  ;D   As for the fanantics yea not so much either, if it ain't fun it ain't really worth the effort for little or no return. I like the way you describe the feelings about hitting a far off target. I just haven't the experence with long guns and to tell the truth I doubt I will ever be any even remotely good at keeping tract of all the things you mentioned when shooting a long gun for distance. But the feeling is the same when you can use a pistol to make a really hard shot everytime, either for distance (not often but sometimes) or for tactical tricks like skipping a round down the side of a wall or off the ground and up under a moving car, or through the eye of a bad guy with a hostage, knowing full well that you will turn out his lights so fast his nerves never even go in galvanic reflex and kills the hostage even though he is dead. There is dead and then there is Totally dead. few people understand the difference but it's there.

And I think we are getting off topic. opps  8)

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 11:59:07 AM »
My buddies dad got to "field test" the fire M16 models and every time he sees my AR he tells me that he has no idea why hes alive today and has no idea why the US gov still uses these.  I tell him that the idea; like all ideas...religion, communism, democracy, cars that run on propane; are good in principle but nobody's perfect.  This is a day of light weight, and modularity for adaptation on the battlefield and at home.  Lets face it the fight can always be brought to our door step at any time, its happened a few times in the past if I recall.

And yes I feel you on your point.  Blowing out the center of a target at 25+ yds or making those skilled but miraculous shoots gives any enthusiast a thrill that is unmistakable and indescribable.

Viking

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 09:29:57 AM »
Hey Squilley
There are Yugo Mausers out there right now. They run about $200. They aren't German but they're fun to shoot. For a good idea of what's out there as far as surplus and military stuff, check out J&Gsales.com. They sell surplus ammo too.
 Reloading is another fun hobby. I just finished my winter reloading. I reload most of my stuff in the long winter months when it's to cold or snowy to go to the range.
One thing always leads to another. In a few years you may find your self at the range with a muzzle loader ( if your not already ). In a way, your reloading on the spot and seeing your results right after you load. It's a lot of fun if your the quizical experimental type.

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 09:57:40 AM »
Me and a buddy are a big into WW2 are saving to buy a STG44.  We found a British soldier that actually got about 5-6 off of SS officers during a few skirmishes.  He's hanging onto one for us and is willing to give us a few magazines and the SS knife that was modified into a bayonet for the gun.  It still functions and is 100% original.  He wants a lot for it and from my research he's right to ask for so much. We are actually planning a trip this summer to go to his home to check it out and do a functionality test.  He sent me the service numbers on the gun and the barrel, stock, and magazines all match.  I'm pumped to get it around Christmas this year, it will be a great piece to have in our collection.  We are trying to get him to at least consider selling us his MG42.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 11:18:49 AM »
Gees Louise! I just did a off the cuff search and let me say one thing "DAMN!!!! :o  They start at 2 k per for the Bad ones! and go up from there and I do mean UP! Wow, I hope you guys score the waepon. Not in my realm of intrest but I can still root for the guys that really are into something other than I like.  :)

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 11:22:59 AM »
Oh We have Definately gotten off topic. Take any further discussion that is not 75/85 related to the general firearms board please. Even the Free Fire board is fine. I am going to move most if not all of these to the General Firearms boards but leave this msg. Even the Owner goes off topic and it's not fair to move all these with out taking the blame for letting it happen and not telling why this got moved. Consider it a lesson for us all.

Well ok I can't figure out how to move any of these so I guess they stay but I did make and Weapons collecting topic in the General Firearms discussion, so................
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 11:49:30 AM by GhostWarrior »