Author Topic: Basic Modification  (Read 14441 times)

Offline Squirrelly85

• I'm always left of the enemy
  • I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Re: Basic Modification
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 11:33:05 AM »
So finally got emails back from both CZ-USA and CZCustom and both basically told me to buy new magazines from CZ or MEC-GAR.  Supposedly there have been a few redesigns done to the magazine to make them work a bit better for range and home defense rounds.  Although I am happy that CZ has corrected this problem, I'm not happy that I have to purchase all new magazines at $40-$60 a pop.  As of right now I have not been able to find magazine springs for either the CZ 97B Mags/EAA Witness .45 Mags.  Which is also disappointing seeing as how CZ and other suppliers have just about every other possible part for every other CZ on the market and off the market.  I will be buying a few new recoil springs to test to see whether that will make a difference in performance, but that wont happen for a while, I've moved on to building up my AR-10 a bit more for a long range competition my friends tactical officer wants to have with me (his M40A5 vs. My DPMS LR-308).  It should be a good match up considering I have a big ass 24" barrel on mine which extended both my range and accuracy by about 150 meters.  But moving on.......
I sent back an email asking if they did happen to know whether or not there was a supplier that does have even stock springs available.  I'm sure that response will take another two weeks to get back as well.
Oh well, guess I'll just have to make do for now.  Both 45's still out preform any other 45 I've ever shot and I wouldn't trade both for anything (yes I am looking to sell one...not both).  I actually shoot better with the 97 then I do with the 75 the majority of the time which is odd.
Just thought I'd give an update to everyone here and I will update you again when I get the springs and probably new magazines :-/.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and provide new Guards for their future security.

The Only Easy Day, Was Yesterday!

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 11:43:22 AM »
I find it suprising as well that there aren't after market springs, This is a straight up guess but since the mods to the mags apparently is recent it may be that no one has had a chance to design or make replacement springs yet. I can't remember if you mentioned them or not but try giving Wolf Springs a call or e-mail and see what they have to say on the subject, that is if you haven't done so allready.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 11:48:59 AM »
Yeah it could be that they are new, but the 97 has been around since 1998 I think so it would stand to reason that they would have something available like for the 75's.  All I wanted was a set of +10% and +5% springs to test, if they didn't work I would have just returned them and bought new mags, but i guess not.  I did email Wolff and they said they don't currently have anything for the 97/Witness 45 outside of recoil springs and referred me to CZ.  So like I said we'll see what will happen and like i said I'll let everyone know.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and provide new Guards for their future security.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 12:36:04 PM »
ok no worries just thought I would thrown that out there, But I am a tad confused since you were talking about them modifing the Mags I thouhgt you were looking for replacement springs for the Mags not the weapon. Or have I totally lost my mind and misunderstand completly?

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 01:56:33 PM »
Yeah  I'm just trying to get different springs for the magazines not modify the actual magazine itself.  Supposedly CZ has not radically redesigned the magazine but made enough of a change for the rounds to cycle more efficiently for range ammo and hollow points.  I figured with a stiffer spring in the magazines I have now I wouldn't have to buy all new magazines.  And the stiffness would alleviate the feed issues I'm having now.  I'm also going to try the CZ gunsmith in Kansas City again, maybe he'll have a bit more insight on what to do.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 02:41:03 PM »
Please keep updating, because I have tried hollow points in all of Pre-B's and they don't feed worth a damn, and as for as lead round nose don't even Think of going there. I haven't even considered trying hollow points in any of the other B pistols cause well once bitten twice shy etc. If I find out anything about stiffere springs I will let you and everyone else know, Cause paying 40 a whack for new mags is insane just to shoot hollow points.

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 05:15:23 PM »
Yeah, I was going to suggest new mag springs too, but if you can't find them, that sucks. For basic mods, I'd suggest the recoil and main/hammer springs. Just get lighter springs. As for your SP-01, well, you can drop in a competition hammer as long as its not the decocker model. If you feel like you can do it yourself, you can check my SP-01 mods topics ( http://www.czforum.com/forum/index.php?board=30.0 ) or watch this video for info
hope that helps. I also looked around for springs for your 97 and can't find diddly either. BTW, why don't they make the 97 with a rail? I mean, sheesh, thats a great addition to any gun. As for the redesigned mags, buy one and see if it will feed defense rounds, if so just run that one mag with HP and all others with FMJ. If you haven't killed what you're shooting at with the first mag, then the FMJs will penetrate any cover. :D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:19:51 PM by Angryvikingman »

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 07:01:43 PM »
Just a questions why would I get lighter springs as opposed to heavier springs, I would think I would want a bit stronger of a spring to force the round into the chamber more so?  Just a question, always up for learning something new.

I watched that video and it looks doable but not right now for me, I would need to watch the video a few times and get more familiar with the little parts of the gun before I attempted a mod like that.  I have all the tools but and always a bit cautions to modify my guns that aren't straight forward modifications or something I can easily take back to normal quickly.

I agree and have said that when I placed a post on CZ-USA under the CZ 97B.  I mentioned that maybe they should come out with a CZ 97 Tactical or BD Tactical with night sights, rail, and a few other customized things (extended/threaded barrel, match trigger and hammer, extended magazines)  you know cool basic stuff.

I use my 12ga Mossberg as my home defense and my new HK USP Compact .45 as my CCW.  I was simply hoping to have a 1911 replacement (as if that was really possible) in the 97 but I really do require that 99.9-100% reliability factor with my weapons.

Well if you do find anything for the 97 please let me know, and also let me know if you know of anyone who is looking to buy one (http://www.czforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=201.0) let me know also.

Thanks.

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 07:45:09 PM »
A lighter spring for the main/hammer spring reduces the amount of force necessary to actuate the trigger. (Lighter trigger pull in both single and double action) As for the recoil spring, especially on the SP-01 it is 18lbs and made to fire nato loads which are heavier and pack more punch. Thus the need for a heavier spring, but civilian loads are lighter and less powerful, so you can use a lighter spring. The lighter spring reduces the force with which the slide slams forward. The lighter spring keeps the "slide slap" from drawing you down off target and helps your follow up shots.

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 07:49:01 PM »
Oh wow ok.  That's good to know.  I will pick up a few different springs and give them a whirl, this should be fun.