Author Topic: My favorite handgun  (Read 8902 times)

lklawson

My favorite handgun
« on: December 29, 2011, 11:31:34 AM »
This is my favorite handgun.  My tweaked CZ52.

Park gray duracoat over standard parkerizing.

The grips are a wood called "bocote" (I had to google it to find out what it was) by Bud Wilson of Dixie Grips. budbanker@comporium.net

There are some additional mods like the extended slide lock release. I did the +1 mod on the magazines and added the extended floor-plate.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
(reposted from the Introductions board)

b5.5dan

Re: My favorite handgun
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 03:11:42 AM »
As I said in another thread, that's a VERY fine pistol you have there! We're glad to have you!

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 11:04:10 AM »
         Yes we are indeed, and I am honored by his membership. His and the others I have said the same thing about, Some of the best of the best, and damn fine Gentlemen one and all. Not to say all our members aren't, because unless they prove other wise I consider them the same way. If it wasn't for all of you this forum would not exist. Again something I have said before and I do my best to remember to keep saying it.

It's just that, RAMI, DeeDubya, GM, DenStinet (and I'm hugely embarrassed because I have forgotten someone) all either founded, help found, and are/were members of the Original www.CZForum.com, started here in 2001 and I think of them as Family that have come home, to visit with us from time to time, or hang out here more or less regularly. And in the past they have taught me things I asked for help with understanding, been patient when I was being stupid, and in general have done me a kindness at one point or another.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 07:59:08 PM by GhostWarrior »
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

bob dobbs

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 03:25:31 PM »
Fine looking 52.  The cartridges catch my attention, are they SP or HP, I can't tell as they are rather nose down on account of the necked brass.  If they are HP do they feed well?  Have a favorite  hand load to share?

lklawson

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 03:47:15 PM »
Fine looking 52.  The cartridges catch my attention, are they SP or HP, I can't tell as they are rather nose down on account of the necked brass.
Thanks!  Those are .30 Mauser Jacket Soft Point (7.63x25) custom loaded by Graff & Sons under contract for Hornady.  Not sure if they're available any more because Graff messed them up and the necks are cracked on about 1/3 of them.

If they are HP do they feed well?  Have a favorite  hand load to share?
The Wolf Gold JHP feeds perfectly.  I don't handload but have thought about it from time to time.  :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 08:02:13 PM »
I need to get some of those. I carry my 52 sometimes but I allways worry about the loads I have in it. Those would ease my mind a great deal.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

lklawson

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 08:31:46 PM »
They perform really well:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Wolf%2085gr%20Copper%20JHP.html

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

b5.5dan

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 12:26:06 AM »
So, not sure if I asked before, and I'm on my phone and it's hard to check... How often to these CZ 52s come up for sale? I see plenty of 70s, but I don't have any use for a 32 ACP. Nothing wrong with .32 ACP, but I already have .380s and 9mms for CC...

lklawson

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 09:31:38 AM »
So, not sure if I asked before, and I'm on my phone and it's hard to check... How often to these CZ 52s come up for sale?
The import supply has almost completely dried up.  With few exceptions what is on the market now is typically from private owners cycling them out of their collections.

CZechpoint-USA does have some (including some in unissued condition).  But they're at twice the price that they were once going for.  Still $300 is a pretty good deal on a '52 these days.

I see plenty of 70s, but I don't have any use for a 32 ACP. Nothing wrong with .32 ACP, but I already have .380s and 9mms for CC...
I felt similarly as well.  I was seeing these all over the place at gunshows for $100-$125 but I kept thinking that the were big for a .32 so why would I want one, even at that price?  I mean, I have a Kel Tec P32 and it's itty bitty and, for the same size as the CZ50/70 I've already got a Makarov, my P11 & PF9, and other firearms, so what would be the point?  Well, now they've appreciated in value 100% and I've decided that I like the lines and want one (maybe my wife will like the lower recoil better than she does the Makarov).  So I'm paying a 100% upcharge because I didn't get one while they were "cheap."  :(

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

b5.5dan

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 07:10:09 PM »
OK, Lawson. You are an evil man.  :laugh: Made a trade today and picked mine up...

I already love this thing. Trigger feels like 4 lbs max... Now to go repost this in POTD, Dan's collection, and anywhere else I can justify.  :rolleyes:

lklawson

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 07:27:32 PM »
Nice looking gun.  Looks to be in very good condition.

Evil?  Yeah, I get that a lot.  Mostly from my wife and kids.  ;)

The trigger on most of them are pretty nice but tend to have a fair amount of take-up.  Not that I ever notice take-up, mind you.  I'm not that skilled.  :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

b5.5dan

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 07:39:28 PM »
The take-up is there, but it feels good and the reset is nice. It has very minor holster wear, but the bluing is in fantastic shape. How can I tell when it was made?

lklawson

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 09:42:53 PM »
The take-up is there, but it feels good and the reset is nice. It has very minor holster wear, but the bluing is in fantastic shape.

How can I tell when it was made?
On the frame, just above and in front of the trigger guard, on the ejection port side.  X[xx].  Mine above is X53.  1953.  :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

b5.5dan

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 09:45:11 PM »

On the frame, just above and in front of the trigger guard, on the ejection port side.  X[xx].  Mine above is X53.  1953.  :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1953? Same as mine, so it would seem. Must have been a good year.  :grin:

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 09:13:41 PM »
              Oh man is that SHINY! Me likey! What are those grips made with? any idea? What did you trade for that? Your left um ya nvrmd. Well done. Fire power and looks, you have to go a long way to beat that combination. Well not that combination, but anything in it's class and it has class to spare. I am so jealous!!