Author Topic: IDPA Interest  (Read 26835 times)

Floyd D. Barber

Re: IDPA Interest
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 10:17:42 AM »
The smallest caliber for semi-auto is 9mm Luger/Para. Max rounds in gun is 10 in magazine plus one in the chamber, and 10 in each subsequent magazine. Except for certain limited stages which are six rounds per magazine.

IDPA is a lot of fun. You get to shoot from "cover", shoot while walking, shoot at moving targets, and occasionally shoot with your weak hand.

Plus there is a big emphasis on safety.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 10:48:38 AM »
     I realy need to go to the range. Not to mention read the rules on IDPA shooting. I think it's the only shooting I can do anymore other than target shooting. I belong to IPSC and other organizations also, but the whole duck, drop and roll thing isn't gone happen much anymore, But then again when someone is shooting at you, that sort of thing comes back real quick but you pay for it big time after if you live. But living in pain beats heck out of  taking a dirt nap.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Floyd D. Barber

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 01:08:40 PM »
     I realy need to go to the range. Not to mention read the rules on IDPA shooting. I think it's the only shooting I can do anymore other than target shooting. I belong to IPSC and other organizations also, but the whole duck, drop and roll thing isn't gone happen much anymore, But then again when someone is shooting at you, that sort of thing comes back real quick but you pay for it big time after if you live. But living in pain beats heck out of  taking a dirt nap.

I tried IPSC once, most of the guys there were too gung ho for me. As far as competing, I only shoot monthly club matches, other than the yearly toys for tots match with actual prizes. The monthly prizes consist of an "atta boy". I figure if I can make it thorugh without a failure to nuetralize and no non threats hit. I did OK.

Although I do get a warm feeling if I can beat one of the better shooters every once in a while on one stage.

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 08:09:19 PM »
We were never limited on mag capacity where I shoot IDPA. We're allowed to use any standard capacity mag for our guns. My model just happens to have a standard capacity of 18. :D Unless you shoot unlimited class, then anything goes. I could use my 32 rounder.

Floyd D. Barber

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 04:55:10 AM »
IDPA doesn't have an unlimited class. Maybe you're thinking of IPSC.

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 07:57:37 AM »
Where I shoot it most definately IDPA.

http://www.mctsclub.com/

Now, the shoots not classified as IDPA may be different, but everything I've shot in there had an unlimited class, where you can use red dots and huge mags. I've also never shot in a "limited" class, which is one of the classifications, and could possibly use the parameters you're talking about. They've never said anything to me about mag capacity, or as far as I know, to anyone else that I know who shoots there. Not being a dick, just stating my experiences there.

Offline CW3

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 10:14:36 AM »
Most months I shoot 4 to 6 IDPA matches and occasionally an USPSA match or Steel Challenge. This month is really a bummer. I'm now on a Canadian trip for 3 whole weeks, with no toys available to me. But my work  is affording me my new CZ, so I really do need to work once in a while!
Anyway, I've been shooting IDPA for a couple of years now and comparing it to others competitions, and though it is a game, I find it a more realistic combination of shooting situations, compared to others. I enjoy the others, but some are to athletically inclined and the stand and shoot target events don't work for me.
If you're thinking about trying IDPA for the first time or going back for seconds, Go Do It!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 10:19:11 AM by CW3 »
IDPA and USPSA
CZ 75 Shadow Custom
4 S&W M&P9s (3 Pro Series and a Core)
Canik TP9SF
Walther PPQ M2
Spike Tactical AR15