Author Topic: P-07 vs Taurus 24/7  (Read 5085 times)

bre346

P-07 vs Taurus 24/7
« on: October 04, 2011, 05:47:46 PM »
I took the wrong gun to the range today. It was the full size Taurus 24/7. I like it and it shoots very well for me. The P-07 is a recent purchase and I'm still getting used to the light trigger.

In a shootout for accuracy today they came out dead even.

I prefer the Taurus but the CZ has my full respect.

I keep fooling with these two I might change my mind and prefer the CZ.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
Re: P-07 vs Taurus 24/7
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:31:38 AM »
What caliber?
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 04:08:23 PM »

Ya know Bre I can't remember when you said you got into Small arms (Yes, being in the Military like you were, especially in those 2 Realms of Hell) I suspect you have more than the average person's knowledge of weapons in general, Long guns or SMG's in particular) but I have found that in a surprising large amount of ex-military folks really have no working knowledge of small arms and or the appreciation of same.

That being said, and I meant no disrespect, but like you I am old enough to remember when the Taurus first came on the scene back in the day. Then it was more than the quintessential "Saturday Night Special" and it was worth serious injury to use if you had to or wanted to. No one I worked with have used it for anything other than a fishing weight or paper weight. Wasn't even worth the price as a thrown down for those that did that sort of dishonorable thing. (I have no tolerance for LEO's that break the law to enforce the law, and less for those that hide behind their badges to break the law on purpose.) Anyway, neither that is here nor there, but over the years Taurus has come from Third world ghetto status to become a really good weapon of choice. I still have my old prejudices that I know I should get past about them as I have for the Glock (another pistol that came from a poor neighborhood into the upper class). Besides I have my wonderful and beautiful CZ's and I'm happy, Still a Hugh fan of Rugers BTW (The singular BEST Wheel gun ever invented by man or woman.!) and Dan Wesson is right there also.

My point is that there is no reason for you to have to choose between one or the other anymore since they both have equally good stats, and part of the year it might behoove you to carry one over the other.  Personally I have 2 wheel guns that I carried back in the dark ages, ad why I still have them I have NO clue (neither is a Ruger btw, they didn't make snub nose guns in those days), but I haven't used either of them since I discovered CZ's and the fact that pretty much any CZ you pick up will shoot as well as any other CZ despite the difference in size and caliber. So I am biased as hell and I freely admit it. But there is no way I will say a Taurus is a bad choice, I may not think it's the right choice or even a good choice when given an option. Just  it's the pistol you are most familiar with and a trusted side arms is not given up lightly. And they deserve to see the light of day at least from time to time. Swap them out one moth is the carry weapon and the next it's the Home Defense Weapon. Frankly I think it's foolish to have one weapon do both chores.

If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

bre346

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 07:08:24 PM »
Hey, I like what you said. Good thinking! I've always been curious about handguns. My only training was in the Navy boot camp and one afternoon with a Marine instructor. I carried a 1911 to get the mail when my ship was in San Diego during the Korea conflict. I bought a Remington Targetmaster 22 rifle in '52 and that was all the guns I ever had 'til recently.

I got to thinking about self defense when the gummint began making noises about gun control, the Texas border turned into a war zone and the local scene filled with gang-related violence. Shots fired in my neighborhood. Stuff like that made me decide to get a permit and become trained shooter. I took the plunge just 15 months ago so all this is relatively new.

I trained my hand with a hard-pulling BB gun. I practiced with a borrowed Taurus 945 and took that and a borrowed 1911 to school and the qualifying range. I failed the test with either gun and had to go practice more. I was a nervous wreck thinking about assuming all the liability associated with a bullet going somewhere. I passed using the Taurus when the 1911 turned inop.

By then I was on the internet seeking advice. My first gun was a Sigma, a good learning piece that had problems. While it was gone I bought a Taurus Millennium Pro, again in 9mm. Different problems, but after a trip to Miami it has become my carry. There were and are several other handguns, notably the S&W 642 in aluminum, (a sweet BUG), the wonderful S&W 60-4 38 spl revolver, the strong Springfield XD-9 Service and now the exciting CZ P-07. (Didn't I say I was curious about guns?) I'm not afraid to dig into them and clean, shine and lube everything that moves. Except the CZ. It's still a puzzle.

I have a bad valve in my heart. With that and a bad artery I was having more and more difficulty at gun practice. They stuffed a stent in the artery and I feel much better.  I went yesterday and discovered that I shoot better and feel better so that was a good move.They'll do the valve job in December. Until then I'll go practice as often as I can afford. Some of these guns are fun.

Thanks for your interest.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 07:36:34 AM »
         I am glad to see that your stent worked and you are feeling better. Lets us know when you go in for the Valve job so I can post it and we can look forward to hearing from you again.

Taking a weapon apart is not unlike taking your computer apart the first time, or your car's engine, well anything for that matter. Just take you time, make sure you have at least an exploded view of the thing to go by and at least for small things with springs, some sort of large box flipped on it's side with a hole cut into the top (ex-side, now the top) for a really good light source to shine through, and the inside totall painted with and All the joins taped over so nothing can slide under them. Or through them either.

Taking them apart and putting them back together is fun and frustrating when those little springs and parts start flying every where but actually modifying something I am betting my life on, I leave to the professionals. I chicken that way, not to mention with my luck I will do it incorrectly and Murphy will see to it that it fails at the worst possible time.  :grin:
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

bre346

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 09:23:37 AM »
Yes, I'm with you on the mods, especially for the 1911 or hammer fired guns. I wanted to add a trigger kit to my XD while I had it. If it didn't work out, I still would have had all the original pieces.
There are a number of things about a revolver that I'll leave to the gunsmith, but I will take it apart and shine and lube the innards.

What puzzles me about the CZ is roll pins and the proper sequence of disassembly. It may be just me but I'm afraid that driving out roll pins will allow them to either open up or flare to the point of unusability. Then I'm stuck with a pile of parts that were once a working gun. I have good drawings but they don't show which goes where enough for my liking. I keep hoping someone with a camera will post a how-to on the subject.

With a little encouragement I will tackle the gun and risk losing a spring just to clean, shine and lube the parts.

Part of the fun, isn't it?