Author Topic: Basic Modification  (Read 14471 times)

Offline Squirrelly85

• I'm always left of the enemy
  • I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Basic Modification
« on: February 09, 2011, 09:49:53 PM »
In the spring of 09' I bought a 75 SP-01 under no advisement or research at all, and after taking it to the range once I instantly fell in love with it.  Since then I have become more knowledgable about my guns and future guns I wish to purchase.

About a year later I felt the need to purchase something in a .45 caliber semi-automatic, and given that I loved my SP-01 so much I decided to buy a 97B.  Completely worth it in my opinion.  It is just as accurate as my 9mm and just as user friendly and fluid in my hand.  In fact in a great trade, I was able to give my S&W M&P40 to a friend and get another 97B in return, he love the M&P (how I have no idea but he does) and I get to have two .45's that have suited me well so far.

However, recently the 97B began to jam after 3-4 magazines.  The basic issue that was occurring was around the second to third round that was being fed into the barrel, during the forth or fifth magazine, would not feed up the feed ramp completely when being extracted from the magazine thus getting caught between the slide and feed ramp.  I was able to contact the gunsmith and send both barrels out to have work done to them to eliminate the problem, but I was wondering if anyone else was having this issue.

I searched for about a month for an answer to this problem and I got all kinds of results but none of them seemed conclusive enough to go through with.  I figured that CZ themselves would be able to fix the issue or find some way to get my gun to work properly.

I'm very excited to get my barrels back in the next couple of days so that I may get back to the range and test these babies out.

Now I'm looking to have some basic modifications done.  I've heard that recoil springs, better magazines, guide rods, and a few other basic upgrades can really make my pistols into nail drivers.  If anyone has any websites or suggestions I am all ears.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and provide new Guards for their future security.

The Only Easy Day, Was Yesterday!

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Basic Modification
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 07:37:25 AM »
Hi, hello, hey, Gutten Tag, G'day, Top 'o the day to ya, Welcome to the Forum, I am looking forward to hearing how the weapon works after you get it back. If there is a chance that you took pictures of the problem(s) could you post them along with whatever CZ said the problem was and what they did to fix it? I'm hoping if when folks have problems we can get pics along with the fixes so everyone will maybe learn something new. And also considering the various ways to say and describe things in different parts of the country and world IE: what is called a do hicky in one place and a whatsit in another, IE Soda in the north, coke in the south, pop in another place, and in Ga. an RC Cola and a moon pie. Pictures would make sure everyone knew which thing you were talking about exactly. This is not mandatory just a request. The more folks that know what’s what, the more folks can help each other and the new members.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 10:20:06 AM »
Thanks for the greeting!  I did not take photos of the issue before, although to I tend to think to even the trained eye you wouldn't see an issue.  The feed ramps look fine, no blemishes, marks, gouges, no nothing.  I tend to think that CZ just made them a hair short and maybe not steep enough (like the 75 9mm have: a  longer steeper feed ramp).  I'm not a gunsmith; yet; but it seems like it was a simple design error that any company could have over looked.

I will post picks of what CZ did and notate what they did as well.  I heard that CZ makes a newer magazine for the 97B that has a slight redesign.  Do you think it would be wise for me to grab one or two of those as well?  I do plan on buying a full length metal guide rod for the 97B from http://guiderod.com/; if you know where to get guide rods for 75's (B's, SP-01's, compacts) I'd be happy to get them as well. A few other items would be a recoil spring set from Wolff Springs http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=16 just to see what the different poundages will do to the recoil, and performance of the gun.

I would like to make these small modifications to all my pistols along with some cool aesthetic/functional things as well in time; i.e. hogue grips, different hammers, maybe different sights.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and provide new Guards for their future security.

Viking

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 08:55:44 PM »
Hey Squirrely,
I heard this is a great shooting 45 but it's a really big gun. I've never seen one up close.
Is this a gun for people with large hands or can anyone handle it easily? -Viking-

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 09:17:55 PM »
Well it is a big gun, but not like Magnum Research Desert Eagle or even the H&K USP 23 big.  The closest I can relate it to is the 1911.

I mean its a single stack and if you have small hands it can be difficult to reach the trigger comfortably (the reason why my buddy and I traded initially was because it didn't fit his hands as well as mine).  I don't have big hands by any means, I'm only 5'11" but the grip fits me like I said before a 1911 would.

I would say that if you have small(er) hands then this may not be the gun for you in that it will just be a bit uncomfortable for the shooter given the amount of readjustment each time they go to shoot.  But if you have a decent size hand then HELL YEAH, pick one up!  It the most accurate .45 I have ever shot at distance, it feels just like my 75 sp-01 recoil wise (a bit more kick but same basic physics).  if you need a bit thinner of a grip then the stock wood ones they make super thin aluminum grips that I hear are just as great.  I personally like the rubber grips but have decided to buy a set of AL ones just to see how I like them.

Any more questions feel free to ask.  As soon as I get my barrels back from the shop I'll post picks for everyone to see.

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 01:28:17 PM »
Just got my barrels back today and they look great.  I did an at home feed test simply racking about 100 rounds without fire them of course.  And so far no problems.

As soon as I get to the range I'll be sure to write back with my full analysis of how they did after the gunsmithing.

From what I can tell the gunsmith at CZ simply "dremeled" the feed ramp a bit to accommodate for the arc of the tip of the bullet a little more and gave it a real high polish/buff hopefully taking away some of the friction.  He did write a note saying that rapid firing any weapon or simply putting so many rounds through the barrel at one time causing it to heat up enough will result in any weapon misfeeding from time to time.  So he suggested that I take it a bit slower and be sure to maintain my cleaning a lubricating standards.

I have taken pics of what he did, to tell you the truth there isn't much to see, you would almost need to look at them with your own eyes up close to tell the difference and even then you would need another barrel to compare it to.

I tried posting them but I think the file size is too big for me to post.  If there is another way I'll be glad to upload them all.  Or give me you email and I will send you them.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 04:13:14 PM »
Hey thanks for the update, Looking forward to hearing how it works in the field, No worry about the picsm You are no doubt correct about not really seing wha tthe guy did. Stay safe.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Viking

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:47:17 PM »
The size of a 1911 isn't bad. It's pretty comfortable in my hand, so the CZ should suit me fine. I own a Ruger P-90 which is a little big. I have to reach a little for the slide release which I'm not crazy about.
I prefer DA guns with decockers, so the 97 BD will fit the bill.
Are you aware that Guns & Ammo magazine has just published a special edition on CZ firearms?

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:59:55 PM »
Really? I am definately going to start checking the Magazine aisle at the grocery store for that. Heck I may even break down and hit a Barnes and Nobles. I really want to see what they have to say. And about which weapons. I don't tend to buy or subscribe to Weapons Magazines since I rather save the money for another CZ but in this case.............................Thanks for the heads up

Viking

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 09:21:32 PM »
The main article is about the P-07 but the magazine covers all the CZ models - handguns, rifles, shotguns  and Dan Wesson pistols. Does CZ own Dan Wesson or just distribute them?
It also has a CZ catalog in the back.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 10:41:12 AM »
I was just going to mention that. Thanks Viking. I forgot I had it.

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 04:51:03 PM »
I have trouble reaching the slide release and magazine release on most guns to begin with.  With the exception being a pistol with a trigger guard mag release.  Maybe it's my own personal grip style that it goofy or something who knows.  But as with all, or at the very least, the majority of CZ pistols the ergonomics allows a little sway in the repositioning of your hand real quick during the transition.  But if your hand fits a 1911 comfortably then definitely pick up a 97B or BD.
I did buy that special edition magazine volume on CZ.  It was pretty interesting, I think it was a bit premature though, because it came out right when CZ released the P-07 duty.  And I don't think the Guns & Ammo gave it it's due with its analysis of it.  If I recall right the writer didn't seem like he spent much time with the gun nor did he take to the range for any kind of extensive tests.  Granted the gun had only been out a short while but if I was the editor I would have put it off for a month and hyped it up a bit and gave the author some time to really test the gun.

Personally I have a short list of the next few guns I will be purchasing (HK USP 9mm[maybe in a compact], P-07 Duty, and the 2075 RAMI P in a 40).  I;m sure I'll stumble onto a revolver somewhere in there that I'll just have to have and then have to hear about it from my girlfriend but she'll never understand (HAHAHA).

Viking

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 06:56:42 AM »
In the article I'm talking about They ask is the P 07 Duty really fit for duty? They bury it in sand, mud, shoot it underwater and run it over with a truck. That's all well and good but I don't plan on going to war with it any time soon. I'm much more interested in what ammo shoots the best, group sizes, trigger pull etc.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 11:39:13 AM »
Good questions, I wonder what the start up cost would be to get assorted ammo say 2 boxes of the most popular and the see about a loner weapon to test the ammo with say 5 rounds of each at 5 meters? or should it be further away? No doubt benched would be best with a Chronigraph for accuracy sake? Hmmmm I'll look around at the cost of ammo and if anyone knows of a site cheaper than "Cheaper than Dirt" let me know please.

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 01:36:46 PM »
Went to the range this weekend and put through about 200-300 rounds through my 97's and although the ramps food so much smoother now, however, firing the gun at speeds faster then 1 round per 3-4 seconds will still pinch the round between the bottom of the feed ramp and the breach. I think that this may be just another issue that was not addressed when I contacted CZ. I think what I'm going to do is contact CZcustom and see what they suggest. I'm sure I'll have to buy new springs or new magazines given that it seems like the round is jumping forward and instead of being angled up it becomes parallel to the floor causing the jam. I'll let you know what I get in return.