Author Topic: CZ P-01 Back from Cajun Gun Works  (Read 18312 times)

JPrice

CZ P-01 Back from Cajun Gun Works
« on: April 26, 2013, 10:20:18 PM »
Cajun Gun Works (Mr. Milam) deserves another “Thumbs-Up” for the work they just completed on my CZ P-01.    :cheesy:

Being lucky enough to find a new CZ P-01 at my local Gun Shop, I did not hesitate to take it home.  :grin:    I put a few hundred rounds thru it and was please with the stock performance.  However, I wanted the same sight picture as my CZ75B and CZ Kadet, which have a LPA-TPU (3 Dot) rear adjustable sight that I really like.  I also wanted to smooth and lighten the trigger pull.

So I sent my new CZ P-01 off to Canjun Gun Works for the following work;

• Complete tear down, action smooth & tune
  • Install Competition Race Hammer
  • Install LPA-TPU Adj Rear Sight (3 Dot)
  • Install new CGW Made in the USA springs and pins

Before performing any work, Mr. Milam called me and confirmed my use of the pistol (Carry & Home Defense), and the improvements I was seeking.  My pistol was return in about 3 weeks.    Here are a few pics of the pistol with its new Rear Sight and Competition Hammer;

After my first trip to the range, I am extremely pleased with the improved trigger feel and pull.  Mr. Milam placed a card in with the pistol that stated the trigger pull force: D/A = 9 lbs 9 ozs,  S/A = 3 lbs 13 ozs. 

I shot ~80 rounds, and the pistol functioned perfectly, and my target scores improved  -  making the upgrade worth every dollar!  Here is one of my targets:  10 rounds at 30+ feet, 2 Hand Standing, Both eyes open;

I highly recommend their work and parts to all.  Thanks Canjun Gun Works for a job well done!

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Re: CZ P-01 Back from Cajun Gun Works
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 05:40:40 PM »
Why does your pistol have an NSN # on it? Thats an item number for US military items....

As we all know, the US military isn't smart enough to switch to CZs.

JPrice

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 06:15:30 PM »
Why does your pistol have an NSN # on it? Thats an item number for US military items....

As we all know, the US military isn't smart enough to switch to CZs.

My understanding is that the NSN # is not US Military, but a NATO Stock Number.  The CZ P-01 is NATO certified and thus earned the NSN #.  Check it out on the CZ-USA website.  :grin:

Take care and have fun shooting.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:18:30 PM by JPrice »

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 08:36:40 PM »
Even still... if its a commercially available pistol, it wouldn't have an nsn # unless it'd been used by the military. I've never seen an nsn # on any cz before, and ive seen a lot.

JPrice

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 09:40:40 PM »
Even still... if its a commercially available pistol, it wouldn't have an nsn # unless it'd been used by the military. I've never seen an nsn # on any cz before, and ive seen a lot.

The following is taken off the CZ-USA website:

The P-01 was the first CZ model to benefit from updated manufacturing technology at CZ's Uhersky Brod factory. The components of the P-01/P-06 are completely interchangable with every other P-01/P-06, with no individual fitting required. This required some very careful re-design so that the reliability and accuracy were not impaired. Since the time of its introduction (designed in 2001, NATO-approved in 2003) the production upgrades have been rolled out to most of the CZ 75 family and several new rifle models as well. The 1913 accessory rail easily accepts any of the industry-standard lights and lasers to assist low-light use. After 3 years of some of the most aggressive small arms testing ever, the CZ P-01 won the honor of replacing the CZ 75s previously used by the Czech National Police.

For many years, the P-01 carried an NSN engraved on its frame, making it the first NATO-spec pistol ever available to the public. Recently, the factory decided to upgrade the slide stop spring which in turn means the current models may not carry the NSN.

Take care and have fun shooting

Offline GM4469

• Authorized Vendor
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 10:32:49 AM »
Most of the P01s will come with the NSN on it. Only recently did a few did not due to a slidestop spring change.
czcustom.com
stuart@czcustom.com

WayneJessie

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 01:28:42 PM »
I like my new PO1 but it has the worst trigger of any CZ I have. DA pull feels like 10 miles of bad road.

JPrice

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 06:30:02 PM »
I like my new PO1 but it has the worst trigger of any CZ I have. DA pull feels like 10 miles of bad road.

Check out Cajun Gun Works website, then give them a call!  http://www.cajungunworks.com/index.html

David Milam @ CGW did a wonderful job on my P-01 & 75B triggers.  I highly recommend them.

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 09:46:15 PM »
Very nice. I like how you extended your sight radius.

JPrice

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 10:52:37 AM »
Very nice. I like how you extended your sight radius.

Thanks!  Going with the LPA-TPU (3-Dot) Rear Sight gives me the same sight picture as my CZ75B, which I use for target shooting.  This way I am always "seeing" the same sights and do not have to make any changes in my thinking between the two pistols.

:wink:

river rat

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 08:51:48 PM »
Very nice !!!

cusco19

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 01:31:38 AM »
that's beautiful...

is the hammer and trigger job something you can DIY by buying the parts from them?

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 09:04:23 AM »
That is kind of a tricky question......You can certainly buy the parts and upgrade the pistol, but, the tough part is the full tear down of the sear cage and the polishing of those parts. Unless you know what your doing, that can be a very daunting challenge. There are one or 2 videos that show the process, but I don't have the skill or courage to attempt it myself......
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

JPrice

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 11:31:09 AM »
that's beautiful...

is the hammer and trigger job something you can DIY by buying the parts from them?

It all depends on how comfortable you are with a full disassembly of your pistol and filing/polishing a few components to get the perfect trigger that is SAFE with very little creep.  I figured that Cajun Gun Works had the experience that I did not, so I let them do my P-01 and 75B 9mm pistols.  They did a great job.

I bought the parts for my Kadet 22LR pistol and did it myself.  Disassembly of the Sear Cage was not an issue once you do it the first time.  Everything fits together pretty easily, so I did not have any issues.  There are some good tutorials on the internet for disassembly / reassembly of the CZ-75B pistols, so look at them first to get an idea of what you are getting into.

Stay safe and have fun shooting.  :wink: 

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 01:51:11 PM »
I did mine. IF I CAN DO IT, ANYONE CAN! LOL!