Author Topic: CZ 82 from J&G Sales  (Read 23255 times)

Powerpuff boy

CZ 82 from J&G Sales
« on: May 04, 2012, 12:09:38 AM »
Yesterday I received a CZ82 I ordered from J&G Sales.  I picked it up from "Very Good Condition" batch for $229.  It came with one magazine and a nice Czech military/police holster.   

I don't know if every gun in  the "Very Good Condition" batch is  like this.  But I think you can get a decent idea of what they are like in general:

http://s1067.photobucket.com/albums/u428/Saltriver42/CZ82/

It was dusty a bit.  But after some serious cleaning, It looks much better (and shiny).     

The SA is surprisingly crisp and light.  I probably would not need a trigger job on it.  I wonder if CZ83 has the same trigger feel.  That would be wonderful.

All in all, I am pretty happy with the transaction.  I wish they had included an extra magazine, though.   I am thinking about ordering two mags.

I have never shot a 9x18 Makarov gun before.  So I am excited.:-)

Offline chfields

• Administrator
Re: CZ 82 from J&G Sales
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 12:19:11 AM »
Looks very nice and shiny after clean up. Seems like you got a great deal....Congrats!!! Looking forward to range report.....
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Powerpuff boy

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 01:42:33 AM »
Thanks!   I have not shot it, but it looks like a good deal.   I will post a range report, for sure.   Now I have to special-order 9x18 Makarov ammo at the range.  They don't normally carry 9x18 Mak :-( 

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 11:09:30 AM »
          I know you can get it online at at a good enough price that even with shipping, I think you should come out ahead of what the range will nick you for it.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Powerpuff boy

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 01:13:32 PM »
Thanks for your advice, GW.    For outside-range use, I will definitely look around for a good deal on line.  Midway USA looks promising.  Any recommendation for 9x18 Mak ammo?  What brand do you use for the 82? 

Unfortunately the range I use requires to buy their ammos.    That's the only way they can keep the business open.  Oh, well, supporting a local business.   Now that I go to the range more often, I love .22LR.    So easy on my wallet....

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 01:15:38 PM »
Thanks for your advice, GW.    For outside-range use, I will definitely look around for a good deal on line.  Midway USA looks promising.  Any recommendation for 9x18 Mak ammo?  What brand do you use for the 82? 

Unfortunately the range I use requires to buy their ammos.    That's the only way they can keep the business open.  Oh, well, supporting a local business.   Now that I go to the range more often, I love .22LR.    So easy on my wallet....

I'm surprised any gun store is having problems as gun sales have been through the roof the last 3 1/2 yrs......
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Powerpuff boy

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 01:24:25 PM »
Yeah, they had a really rough time for a while, I hear.  Now that they are finally making some money that way,  perhaps they don't want to go back to the old business model.   It is all right.  They are pretty nice people.   I just wish they carried some 9x18 so that I would not need to special-order the ammo every time I want to shoot the 82.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »
That would be nice, but I'm sure they don't have many people shooting Mak....You may want to stock up if you can find a good price....
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Powerpuff boy

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »
I think you are right.   Just curious.  I have never shot 9x18 mak before.  But why do you think it did not catch on here?  Is that because people are perfectly happy with 9mm and .380? And they did not care for something in-between?   9x18 sounds like a respectable cartridge.    Any thought?

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »
           Possibly I'm not firing on all cylinders, but considering that I just paid $220.00 USD for a 1000 rnd of Independence, and These guys have it for less even throwing in the shipping, I think these guys are hard to beat. This link will take you straight to the 9 x 18 ammo page. but you can just click on another caliber and go to that page also: http://www.jgsales.com/ammo-for-handguns-c-25_30.html

First let me say that yes Silver Bear and TulAmmo are in steel cartridges but the 82 is made for that sort of ammo, and I have never had any trouble with the Silver Bear or the Brown Bear or even the TulAmmo, however I believe the Brown Bear is dirtier to use that the Silver Bear.

Second apparently TulAmmo and the Bear folks have parted company and are now competitors,and it doesn't look like it's going to be a friendly sort of competition from what I read on Tul's web page.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:02:02 PM by GhostWarrior »

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 02:22:52 PM »
        Well ok then I see that I'm a tad bit behind the curve here but they not only have great prices for some CZ's but their ammo prices look to me like they are hard to beat. BTW I left out S & B but they are good also, just a little more expensive I think.

As to the 9x18 round, you have to take into consideration that to a point the military is a driving force behind what weapons and ammo are made and used. And they are now and allways have been completely and totally eaten up by the "Not Invented Here" Syndrome, and not just about foreign items but when they put out bids they have the same attitude unless someone high up the food chain is insisting on something different and has the stroke to make the buyers (R&D and Procurement) do as they are told.

As far as I know the 9x18 round has allways been since at least WWII a staple of the German, Russian, and that area of the world since it's cheap than 9 to make and so are the pistols, but it's may more effective than a .380. It's sort of a cross between a .380 and a 9mm. Ad to that the fact they are FMJ as in metal jacket they then to go where you point them very well. Sort of like the 7.62 x 25's little brother, Maybe baby brother.

That's not to say we and others haven't come up with some of our own rounds that are not off the shelf as it were until they caught on. Also keep in mind the mindset back in those days, "It's a Commie Made Product and we don't used Commie stuff!!!" and there you go, More than likely the reason CZ's didn't start getting popular until late last century (I love saying that! So fraking weird!), They were made in what was then a "Communist Country" and other than the AK it's hard getting things introduced into this part of the world, at least when Firearms and ammunition are involved.

Anyway I think that's the reason in MHO but then I may be wrong, but having dealt with the Military NIH attitude first hand, I do not think I'm far off on my guess.

All in all I would not hesitate a second to shoot it out with someone that had a .380 if I had a Mak and I'm pretty sure with the exception of distance I would stop stop someone with a 9mm faster than they could stop me with my Mak, (It's smaller but it's blunter, NOT fatter just more bullet, and it's a Real FMJ and not a Tin or brass FMJ pointy 9mm) depending on skill levels and circumstance. I sure as hell would use it on a car and driver if I saw a drive by. Not that I ever want to actually test my theory :laugh:

Powerpuff boy

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 03:42:24 PM »
Thanks for the link. I am looking at the page now.  I may try the S&B (Czech!) and the Silver Bear.

What you said about the 9x18 makes sense.  It is a damn shame. "Commies" (it sounds sooo strange now to say it) could be good at gun designing/making.  (the AK, and of course, CZ!).   I think I can get into the 9x18. :-)

BTW, speaking of the FMJ, I think I read somewhere here that you carried only the FMJ in the CZs?  Is that right? (or am I mistaken?)  What are reasons for it?  You don't care for the JHP?  ( There is so much discussion about the JHP,  it makes my head hurt -  seriously)

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 06:33:40 PM »
        Well it's like this, When I first got my CZ75 Pre-B back in 84ish? I tried different types or ammunition and lead reloads, JHP, and some others. The first two Failed to Feed like clockwork, so I went to FMJ and it's worked perfectly ever since. As it turns out the same thing happens to everyone of my Pre-B's so I just got in the habit of carring FMJ. The 75 B's seem to be able to deal with most anything. And as far as I know apparently having the ramp polished fixes the FTF issues in Pre-B's but I can't afford to have 8 ramps polished or the others if it happens with any one them, so here I am using FMJ. Pretty much about it.

Another reason is very esoteric but here it is, I spent 10 years working in the Body Armor Industries with one company. I did  just about every job there was and ended up Senior V.P. of Operations. The point is that body armor works because the human body is very resilient and that helps it work, the other part no one thinks about is that the easier the projectile expands the easier it is to stop. There a formula but it's to much trouble to explain here, Suffice it to say that I allways expect to run into someone wearing armor so I use FMJ because they penetrate further and if they are wearing the wrong level of armor then they have a problem. If I used anything else I might not have that 1 in a thousand odds I'll punch the armor.

Powerpuff boy

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 08:20:49 PM »
Ah, I didn't know about pre-B's issue with the FHP.  And I didn't know you were (or still are? ) a senior VP of a body armor company ! :-)  I hope they paid you well (grin) It must have been a very interesting work.   You must tell us more when you have time.   I like listening to stories.

Anyway, I guess it is true that the human body is very resilient against the bullet. (or the bullet is not as strong as we normally think)  Do you know the tv program called "Myth Busters?"  They do lots of experiments about the guns/explosives.  One thing that surprised me was how fragile the bullet was.  (A .50 cal bullet completely disintegrated, when fired into a swimming pool filled with water in one experiment.)   But aren't you a bit worried about over-penetration?  Or is it an exaggerated concern, generally speaking?

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 10:17:29 PM »
          No it's not an exaggerated claim by any means. If you have Sonic or SuperSonic loads and they are heavy enough and you are close enough, you will put a round through and through a human and quite a lot of other things both animate and inanimate. Subsonic rounds are less likely to punch through. Especially if it's a head shot or you hit thick enough bones. I carry the super sonic loads and yes I have to consider my shots once or twice before I pulled the trigger. Which is why I used to shot nothing but groin, center mass and head shots, and I practiced every day. Until 15 years ago when we moved here to Orlando and things were a lot more peaceful and no one was shooting at me anymore. I stop going to the range completely and now I have to learn it all over again.

As for the Body Armour Company that was over 20 years ago and it went under because the owners (my friends/partners) decided they wanted to get into the Government Contracting and despite my telling them it was a huge bad idea they out voted me. Thinking that the Gov would be a good place since it would pay on time and they (the Government) was begging for Small Business's to bid on contracts. I told them but they didn't listen and they found out way to late that I was right. The government NEVER pays on time, nor does it do anything it says it will by the time they say they will do it. They went under and I left losing a lot of money I had invested. Not to mention 10 years and a LOT of time, effort, blood, and sweat. The Government is directly responsible for putting 9 out of 10 Small Business's (less than 500 employees) out of business within a year of getting a contract, (true, they even admit it if you can find the proper reports or in court) because they can not meet a single condition of their end of the contract. And it's legal, as my friends found out when we sued and we lost. About 3 million all toll.