Author Topic: Accurizing the CZ P-09  (Read 1788 times)

Offline patnemes

Accurizing the CZ P-09
« on: January 17, 2019, 08:48:02 AM »
I have been using my 09 to shoot the National Match centerfire course and to do this I have modified the 09 with lightened trigger, hammer and firing pin springs along with reshaping the hammer and sear to bring the single action pull down to 3 lbs. With this sear mod I had to remove the DA potion due to timing issues when firing single action. This has worked out fine so far for the intended purpose of shooting the Bullseye centerfire course.
After firing at 50 yds off of the sandbags I'm getting 4-5" groups (10 shots) which are not good enough. I need to get 10 shot groups under 3.4" in order to have the potential of a clean target at the 50 yd line.
The load I'm using is all cases matched headstamps, 3.9 gr of Red Dot, a 115 gr plated bullet with CCI 500 primers and a crimp set to apply a .377" taper crimp measured at the case mouth. This shoots consistent groups with no flyers.
So my question comes down to what can be done to the P-09 to reduce the groups to get to the 3.4" needed. Is it a barrel replacement (does anyone sell a match grade barrel for this?) Can something be done with the barrel lockup in the slide and can anything be done to the frame slide interface to tighten up the groups? Or is there something else I haven't considered.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Online chfields

• Administrator
Re: Accurizing the CZ P-09
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 12:52:12 PM »
You should contact either Czcustom or Cajun gun Works, they would probably be able to give you the best advice....
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline gaijin

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 08:27:27 PM »
Your lack of accuracy may start with your load. Plated bullets are not known for stellar accuracy/precision.

Try loading a true, jacketed hollow point.
A number of top Bullseye competitors use Zero JHPs.

I load 124 Zero’s with Titegroup or n320.
Sort brass by case head; Winchester, Starline, etc.
2 1/2” to 3” groups are possible (benched) with a P10c.

I’d do this before looking for a mechanical answer.

Offline patnemes

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 10:22:51 AM »
Thanks gaijin. This sounds like a good approach. I have some Winchester 115 gr JHP on hand that I'll load up and try.