Author Topic: CZ 512 Tactical Review  (Read 9848 times)

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
CZ 512 Tactical Review
« on: December 12, 2015, 10:21:51 AM »
A while back... well about 6 months ago we acquired a NIB CZ 512 Tactical from CZ USA. Due to my work schedule, I never got the time to go and shoot it.... until the other day.

First Impression: Looks awesome! Bet it would be fun to shoot!
First Impression on range day: OH... MY... GOODNESS... I LOVE THIS THING!!!

My personal thoughts on any gun is that it should perform FLAWLESSLY right out of the box. I have 10 of the 25 round magazines for this thing and on range day they were all loaded up, ready to go. Now, since in the past, with other guns, I know that a new semiauto has problems feeding hollow point 22lr. So for this I had a few boxes of Federal Premium Auto Match. This is the same ammo I use in my CZ 455 and shot a 10 shot group at 100 yards that I could cover with a dime, so it's good ammo. 250 rounds loaded up, and I didn't lube the gun or anything before first use. Just took it out and used it for a bullet hose. I topped it with a Burris FastFire III that I have, and didn't even bother to sight it in, just found the point of aim vs. point of impact and used some Kentucky windage. I ran all 10 magazines as fast as I could, and it never even so much as had a hiccup. It ran flawlessly for 250 rounds. Then there was a long, long reloading session and I ran all 10 magazines again. 500 rounds, and it never jammed, failed to feed, extract, eject, not a single malfunction. I felt like a kid again as I ran that little rifle as hard and as fast as I could. Now, let me tell you a little about the gun.

Technical Information:

Product Name: CZ 512 Tactical, .22 LR

Firearm Type: Rifle

MSRP: $493.00

Purpose: Fun or Hunting (also fun)

Chambering: .22 LR

Magazine Capacity: 5, 10, or 25

Magazine Type: Polymer Single Stack

Stock: 6-Position Adjustable, Adjustable Comb Height

Length Of Pull: 12-15.25 in

Sights: None

Barrel: Cold Hammer Forged

Barrel Length: 16.5 in, threaded 1/2x28

Overall Length: 33-36.25 in

Weight: 6.1 lbs

Safety: Crossbolt

It comes from CZ with the ATI Tactical stock system for the CZ 512. It has an aluminum forend with a 22 inch picatinny top rail, the stock is a six position adjustable stock with an adjustable cheek piece. This allows it to fit the length of pull for almost any user. The barrel is 16.5 inches and threaded in 1/2x28 for attaching muzzle devices such as brakes, flash hiders, or if you're lucky enough to have one, a suppressor. (I have one :) )

What I really liked about the gun:
The forearm and picatinny rail allow for a multitude of attachment options from lasers, grips, red dots, to scopes, and even aftermarket backup sights. The gun ran like a sewing machine and never had any problems, even after I switched to hollow points and kept going.

What I don't like:
It doesn't come with any kind of sights. Just a set of the aftermarket LPA sights that CZ-USA sells would have made this instantly usable for people who don't have any other form of iron sight or optic.

The magazine release is pretty small, and hard to access for really fast mag changes. Also, the mag well is a little small, and if it was flared and extended then you could mag change quickly and without having to take the time to really look at the mag well to seat your next mag. I'm sure that more time and practice with the gun will change this, but it's just something that stuck out to me in particular.

Overall, I really loved this rifle, and I will continue to shoot it with child like glee in my heart. One of my favorite little 22lr rifles to be sure, and I have shot and own quite a few.

A video review is coming soon!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 10:45:29 AM by Angryvikingman »

Offline Big Mak

Re: CZ 512 Tactical Review
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 07:59:24 AM »
Thanks for this review.
I've been eyeing the tactical 512 for some time now.
Brian

Offline frgood

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 10:54:18 AM »
Something to add to the list for consideration. Thanks!

Sounds like a nice Appleseed gun. Hmmm? No iron sights. Interesting.

Offline CZ_T

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 08:07:26 AM »
I bought the ATI stock to convert my beautiful, flawless CZ 512. Now it is a beautiful, flawless, bad ass, CZ 512... But, it took A LOT of work and an EXTREME amount of patience. Let me tell you about my experience.  1.  Buy stock.  2.  Stock arrives. 3.  Instructions are TERRIBLE.  Typos, wrong gun name (says CZ 712). A support phone number that is no longer in service.  4. SEVERAL parts missing.  5. I contact ATI and ask for the missing PARTS. After more than a week, I get ONE nut. ATI is all, what's the big deal. So the instructions are not done well and you did not get everything you paid for. So? I contact ATI again. No response so I email Alice at CZ-USA. 6. ATI finally gets back to me and still the attitude is poor.  7.  CZ-USA sends me more parts than I will EVER need.

My CZ 512 is now the most accurate, bad ass, wonderful .22 lr going because of YouTube (I needed help with assembly) and CZ-USA.
ATI Stocks has TERRIBLE customer service and even worse instructions and a VERY POOR attitude..

My 512 is something to behold. I may just buy another.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:05:13 AM by CZ_T »
Pravda vítězí

Offline CZ_T

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 08:14:41 AM »
frgood,
I bought back up iron sights from AT3 tactical.  Then I decide I wanted a scope.  So I returned the sights (AT3 paid for return shipping) and I bought the 45 degree offset sights from AT3. They are like $45. There are much cheaper ones on Amazon, but I am not known to be gentle on my equipment (just ask my husband who is always removing broken screws and straightening bent parts) so I went for the better sights. I looked at some sights that were $200 or more.
Pravda vítězí