Author Topic: Home rolled  (Read 26163 times)

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
Re: Home rolled
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2011, 04:24:03 PM »
"OK  DeeDubya,           I can't believe you just said that! Loads of fun, indeed. I thought I was supposed to be the one with the bad jokes and you and b5 and AVM were supposed to be the sober sided founts of wisdom? What am I paying you for if you are going to take over the stand up routines? Oh wait I forgot I'm not paying you, well then that's different then inan't Brain? *Narf!*"

Well somebody's been depositing money in my account. No wait, those are withdrawals.
Aw shucks, GW, just participating in the fun, soaking up the knowledge, basking in the radiant hospitality, exploding with knee-slapping humor (that should be enough) are better than getting paid anyway  :huh:  right? ... right? ... anybody?
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »
My son's got a Hornady and likes it. While his is not progressive it still has their "lock-n-load" die holders. Very convenient for changing dies. You know, it may sound a little strange but I enjoy reloading just about as much as shooting. So many variables to play with. Fun stuff.

Came back to say. I got my Rock Chucker around 1980. Still have and use it. But of course a Dillon 650 has it's place too, especially for the auto ammo.  :grin:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:57:53 PM by DeeDubya »
DW
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2011, 04:41:02 PM »
Gee DeeDubya
     You are a real pal to look that up for me.  :tongue: , I'm thinking the ammo is on it's own while I'm there cause, I'm going to be in as much shade as my overweight butt can find  :cool: :laugh: I sure hope that line about " Ya it's hot, but it's a Dry heat" is even vaguely true.  :shocked: . I'm thinking; have my daughter go out start the car, let it cool then pull around to the front of her Apt Bldg, I run for the car, hoping the wife is keeping up, I dive in slam the door and then reverse the process when we get where ever we are going. And it's a good thing Red's has an indoor range or my daughter wouldn't be getting any time in with her new toys, learning how they feel and work while I'm there to walk her through them. Not that she needs the help but I want to watch her do some shooting with them if I can.

As for you Mr duke Sir;

2 things,

First: I never use the term "expert" when talking about anything at all, since I learned in another life time far far away in a sweaty nasty wet jungle, that you are only an "expert" until either you screw up or someone better comes along, which also means you screwed up.  :cheesy: . and

Second: not only are you welcome here I think you and DeeDubya and the rest of the re-loaders here are going to get along just great. I'm not likely to ever get back into the reloading part of shooting since my wife would be less than happy about my spending money on a new habit. And possibly drilling holes in the furniture to mount the press.  :laugh:

Hope you have fun as much as we do.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

duke

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
haha, Ok, I'll call you folks 'Slightly more informed and up to date than me".  How's that?   :smiley:   I really enjoyed reloading as well.  As a poor enlisted man, that was the only way i could afford to shoot and go hunting, etc.  Now, I have money but no time.  Go figure.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 05:23:01 PM »
Yep ain't that the way?
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

duke

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2011, 08:37:10 AM »
Can you guys point me in right direction please.  I haven't got any reloading manuals yet (birthday is next month and wife wants to have something for kids to buy me).  Anyway, I'm looking to buy a case of Montana Gold 124g, FMJ's and will be using AA5 and CCI's.  Mostly Winchester cases to start. Can someone recommend a starting load? I can't find MG's on the online charts.  Is there another bullet that is similar where I can substitute the load data?

TKS!

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2011, 06:10:07 PM »
Lyman used to be the best (following the Ideal tradition established by John Barlow) but the last two manuals (48 & 49) have simply traded on the name, with cheapened production, fewer pages, important safety messages buried in main text and too much outdated data. Do not believe the grovelling reviews!

Speer has always been good but the latest manual, #14, is superb. Buy it and you will be very happy. It has all the highlighted safety points of the older Lyman manuals and more!

P.S. Sierra also has good data but the Table of Contents could do with a couple of extra pages. I politely informed them of this, giving the Textbook of Small Arms 1929 (rep. via Ian Skennerton) as an example of best practice (which it is) and received an offensively arrogant dismissal. They make good bullets and have some good writers but they seem to have completely forgotten how to deal with new shooters/reloaders. As someone who ran a range for 14 years, I consider their demonstrated attitude to be complacent, irresponsible and dangerous.

Ranting aside, buy the Speer to start and grab the Sierra if you need the extra data, but if you want to make serious use of it you will need to do what I intend: construct a proper table of contents for the how-to part. NB You can annotate the Speer table of contents.

Manuals such as Hornady and Nosler are also good value but are aimed more at the experienced reloader than the beginner. I have had to assist (and redirect) more than one new shooter who started out with the Hornady manual. It would be a much better book if Hornady allowed a professional manual designer to remove the colour and heavy black lines in the how-to section, i.e. set it out properly and if they did a comprehensive proof check of the entire book to remove new and persistent errors prior to each publication.

P.S. I would strongly advise that you get yourself a chronograph and a digital caliper; and read the first chapter in Ken Waters' Pet Loads:

'Developing Pet Loads: Ken Waters' methods of judging pressure'

before assembling your first loads. If I had done so, I would have learnt quicker and saved some time and money, not to mention frustration.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 07:12:32 PM by ZG47 »
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2011, 07:57:45 AM »
There are as many different reasons for reloading as there are recipes for BBQ sauce! While most would like to think they can save a lot of money by reloading, it's not always true. Unless you shoot a specific caliber a lot (like competition) then you won't be buying large bulk quantities of components. Add in the cost of the press, dies, measures, scales, case trimmer, micrometer, guages, loading blocks, storage boxes, primer tool, and on and on and you will begin to realize that unless you're having a lot of fun then it might not be worth it. Personally, I load alot because I like it, but I still buy factory ammo too.
Sometimes when starting a new load I will have 3 or 4 manuals open at the same time for comparison. You need manuals. However, you can also find many good loads on-line. I would search for the caliber first, then some of the powder/bullet manufacturers also have data available on-line.

You should always start with minimum pressure loads and work your way up. There are many things that can affect pressures other than the powder charge, like bullet diameter, barrel diameter, seating depth, burn rate, primer selection, even temperature. Be Safe.
DW
~ James D. Miles

duke

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2011, 12:48:41 PM »
I've only been able to find on generic load online for a 124 weight bullet using AA5 and it was a max load of 6.4g.  I'm figuring I should try a test round using 10% less.  Any thoughts?

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2011, 01:09:59 PM »
DW
~ James D. Miles

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2011, 01:17:53 PM »
This is always handy to have on the wall. It changes often but I'm sure this one is fairly current.

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html
DW
~ James D. Miles

duke

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2011, 07:35:26 PM »
haha, best9mm.com is where I got the only load I could find on the web or even in all the books.  I wrote Accurate and the balistician there emailed me back and gave me a good load range for the bullet I will be using.  Great customer service at Alliance. Gun will be here tomorrow so will be trying that load on the low end of the range soon.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2011, 07:35:39 AM »
Accurate's website shows 4 loads for 124gr/AA5 from 5.0-5.6gr. I would start at 5gr. There are many other really good powders for 9mm too. One of the oldest "Bullseye" is hard to beat for standard pistol loads. Another is WW231 which is a flattened ball powder and easy to measure. The only (I say this cautiously) real problem with fast powders is a double charge. You want to avoid this let me assure you! I formed a habit years ago and still stick to it. I always check the primed/charged cases with a flashlight when they're sitting in the loading block, just before I start seating bullets. You can easily spot a double charge or (more likely) a case with no powder. Both conditions can be dangerous.
DW
~ James D. Miles

duke

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2011, 03:08:24 PM »
Tks.  Accurate didn't have a FMJ load though.  I just wanted to make sure.  I'm going to use up the 2 cans off AA5 I have, then switch to Bullseye which has more options.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2011, 03:22:56 PM »
A specific powder charge will work for any 124gr jacketed bullet. Be it round nose, flat nose, hollow point, FMJ, you're pushing the same weight so pressures will be the same.
DW
~ James D. Miles