Author Topic: Berry Bullets  (Read 6570 times)

Offline epsanto2

Berry Bullets
« on: October 11, 2011, 09:41:16 PM »
I came across this site the other day and was wondering if anyone has loaded Berry Bullets and what their experience was.  I am thinking about buying some for my .380 and noticed in the faqs they state not to load heavier than the middle load for a powder and bullet weight and configuration.... this leaves a small window for finding an accurate load.

I normally load 95 grain Remington bullets with 3.7 grains of W231 powder.  This proves to be a good mix for my particular pistol.  Any ideas as to what I might expect recoil wise with the 100 grain bullet compared to the 95 grain bullet?  I'm thinking of buying their 250 pack to try first depending on the recoil comments I receive here. 

http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c2-Bullets.aspx

Thanks....
".... keep your finger off the trigger and the pointy end down range"

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: Berry Bullets
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 04:49:14 AM »
You will find that the copper plated bullets do not work as well as FullMetalJacket's at higher velocities.  The plated bullets act more like lead.  You should use data for plated or lead bullets not data for FMJ.
  I load the 95gr Rainier copper plated bullets with 3.4gr of W231.  They come out of my 83 just under 900fpm, just like the Remington factory ammo.  This load is pretty clean burning.

Offline epsanto2

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 07:22:19 AM »
Thanks for the information, Rodolfo.  Their website did not mention using lead bullet loads, just the lighter loads which is probably characteristic of lead loads. 

I avoid lead bullets because of the fouling and cleaning issues, but since I'm using the bottom half of the loading table anyway, your load with plated bullets may work fine for me.

Thanks,

Epsanto2

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 01:21:21 PM »
I haven't tried the Berry Bullets either but do have a lot of experience with Rainier (one of the first with successful plating). I have always loaded plated bullets to lead bullet specs. Not necessarily because of the plating but because I was loading them for target and competition and didn't need or want high velocities and recoil. However, if I did choose to push up the pressures I would pay more attention to the bullet diameter. A .356 plated bullet would yield higher pressure than a .354 or .355 jacketed with the powder charge and other components being the same. Off hand I don't know what the Berry's mic at, but just making a comparison.

Winchester 231 is an old powder and like Bullseye and Unique was a favorite of many for low pressure target loads. It does leave some black, greasy soot though. Some of the newer powders like WST and WSF seem to burn a little cleaner. I use a lot of Action Pistol in my 40 with very little fouling but without searching, guess that it may be a little slow for the 380.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline epsanto2

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »
DeeBubya, I have noticed W231 is a little dirty, both on the cases and the inside of the pistol.  But it seems to make a good load for me. 

Berry claims their .380s are .356 in diameter.  The price was right.... $77 for a 1000.  Still mulling it over.  I ordered another pound of 231 the other day, arrives tomorrow.  Next time I will look into the WST and WSF powders.

Thanks for the info. 

edisonman

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 09:51:09 AM »
I have been using Berry for years, just keep the bullets below 1200 fps - this was told to me by Berry
Also they say use the lead  bullet chart or low end of the FMJ chart if no copper chart is available

The Lee reload book has loads for bullets Like Berry.

FYI

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 10:33:45 AM »
Plated bullets not only eliminate leading caused by the bullet scrubbing the barrel but also by melted lead from the base of the bullet. All plated bullets that I've seen are completely covered in copper. Unless the plating is so thin that it actually wears through when cut by the lands, I don't see a problem with pushing the velocities up to near those of jacketed bullets. Ranier's website suggests using lead bullet data.

Even cast lead bullets can be clean shooting if:  your barrel is smooth (a process called lapping can help), the lead alloy is at least #2 or harder and you use gas checks (only certain bullets have a base designed for gas checks). I pushed loads for my 45 win mag (12" Condender) up to 1500fps without leading. That was 260gr gas checked #2 alloy SWC lubed with Rooster's.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:58:15 AM by DeeDubya »
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline epsanto2

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 01:24:52 PM »
Thanks for the information guys.  the price is right for sure.... half the price of the remingtons.