Author Topic: Let's talk about competition guns  (Read 1806 times)

Offline frgood

Let's talk about competition guns
« on: March 26, 2015, 01:35:46 PM »
Recently, I listened to some salient points from MMC about gun consideration and I think it will make a good thread.

This is a personal question, in that, if I was to look for a CZ gun for USPSA and Steel, given my set of tastes and experience, what should I look for?

1. Let's start with experience and personal comfort.
  I started with a 1911 and do like the short straight draw of the trigger. The heavier weight of the all steel frame is preferable as it provides the resistance that my muscles prefer to push against.
 My CZ 85, as we all know, has probably the most comfortable grip shape known. It is what drew most of us here to begin with. I did have to reduce the reach on my trigger as I have very short fingers. Using the gun in DA/SA mode requires more up front exercise. There is not enough evidence on DA vs. Safety on the draw time to make an evaluation yet.  I think that should be added as a test in the future.

DW has a .40 S&W 2011. It would satisfy my affection for the 1911 and it would run Limited. I like limited as I just haven't bought enough magazines. The big issue is cost. It is too expensive for an experimental purchase. To find an affordable 2011 I would have to leave the CZ family.

The TS .40 S&W, show promise. It is more affordable than the DW. The single action remains the result of the test mentioned earlier. I would venture to guess that I would have to replace the right side safety, for the wider one, immediately out of the box. Possibly change the trigger to aluminum. So there is an initial upgrade cost. However, the trigger rolls which is in contrast to the straight draw of the 2011. And that straight draw does assist in maintaining accuracy when stressed.

What are your thoughts?

What factors do you consider to get that ultimate competition-only CZ handgun?