Author Topic: bullet seating dies  (Read 4969 times)

pilgrim05

bullet seating dies
« on: December 26, 2014, 12:28:06 PM »
I have the Lee 4 die set, and have been reloading 115 fmj round nose successfully.  Now I have 2k Precision Delta 124 fmj round nose and notices the profile of the bullet is a bit more pointed. 

My question is: does the seating die need to be modified to accommodate different bullet profiles?  It seems this would also be true for hollow points.

Thanks

Offline chfields

• Administrator
Re: bullet seating dies
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 01:59:50 PM »
Generally you would need to look up the OAL for the different types of bullets you are using......
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 03:24:25 PM »
Like Chfields said look up the OAL for the BULLET you are using.  In other words if you use Precision Delta's bullet use their OAL.  If you are using Speer or anyone else look up their recommended OAL.  You want to keep the seating depth the same regardless of the bullet's shape. 
The seating die does not matter that much except that you may deform lead bullets if you use something radically different than the actual bullet shape. 

pilgrim05

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 12:47:34 PM »
"In other words if you use Precision Delta's bullet use their OAL.  If you are using Speer or anyone else look up their recommended OAL.  You want to keep the seating depth the same regardless of the bullet's shape. "

Excuse the stupid question from this newbie, but isn't the length dependent on the gun's barrel and not on the bullet manufacturer?  When you do that "push test" the length you get is when the ogive hits the lands or the rifling of the barrel and you determine the set back from that.  If the bullet has a sharper taper, the tip is going to go further into the rifling before the ogive hits the lands.  It seems to me like you would need to readjust the seating die for each bullet profile.

I have had a lot of success and enjoyment with loading the 115 fmj, and now that I have a supply of 124's these questions are causing me to hesitate until I feel sure of what I am doing.  I feel comfortable when I understand what is going on.

Thanks for your patience with me...

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 03:50:28 PM »
"In other words if you use Precision Delta's bullet use their OAL.  If you are using Speer or anyone else look up their recommended OAL.  You want to keep the seating depth the same regardless of the bullet's shape. "

Excuse the stupid question from this newbie, but isn't the length dependent on the gun's barrel and not on the bullet manufacturer?  When you do that "push test" the length you get is when the ogive hits the lands or the rifling of the barrel and you determine the set back from that.  If the bullet has a sharper taper, the tip is going to go further into the rifling before the ogive hits the lands.  It seems to me like you would need to readjust the seating die for each bullet profile.

I have had a lot of success and enjoyment with loading the 115 fmj, and now that I have a supply of 124's these questions are causing me to hesitate until I feel sure of what I am doing.  I feel comfortable when I understand what is going on.

Thanks for your patience with me...
The barrel will determine the final OAL, but different bullets affect the OAL differently, depending on the shape. You will need to adjust per bullet type.
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 01:28:09 PM »
You want to keep the seating depth the same regardless of the bullet's shape. 
This might sound confusing.  What I am trying to describe is keeping the space inside the case the same.  If the space that the powder burns in is the same the pressure will be the same.  Different loaded bullets may look different from the outside, but you want to keep the unseen space inside the case the same.   

rem1903a3

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 10:35:09 PM »
I understand what you are saying, but wouldn't different bullets have different bearing surfaces on the barrel which would/could also influence pressures immediately after ignition?