Author Topic: First Steel Challenge - Some Good Fun  (Read 1959 times)

Offline frgood

First Steel Challenge - Some Good Fun
« on: May 13, 2014, 06:08:27 AM »
What a day! Steel Challenge is now, officially, a challenge to me.
I cannot speak for you. But, for some sick reason I find fun in going for the challenge. It has now been 2 months of matches. A total of 4 and I now know what I need to develop. Everything.

Let's start with equipment. There have been a lot of gear recommendations and I am squarely of the mind that at my current skill level, there is no gear beyond the basics. I currently have a RIA 1911 GI, a basic holster, a leather belt, and 5 magazines. A Competition belt was recommended and I think that may be a tad more convenient only in that I can get my holster hung right on the 3 O'clock position (leftie). Currently the belt loop forces it a smidgen more forward than comfortable. But, that is only a convenience buy as it will not have an impact on time.....yet.

After holding a CZ, I have purchased a CZ 85B and do like the feel far better. But it will require 1000 rds. before I'm comfortable with it enough to use it at a match. I also just read the ruls and it would seem that I have to develop, and be comfortable with, dropping the hammer on a live round. Plus, the DA/SA is a new skill to learn.

So back to skills. This being the first months of ever trying. I can only focus on the draw and getting sights on target.  As I am more of a "one skill at a time" person, reloads will have to come later. At CFRPC,  there is a match at least every other weekend, I'm thinking of using the Zombie, Action Steel, and Steel challenge as prep for the USPSA match each month. Now it is time to start a budget for ammo.

This past weekend's Steel Challenge I had the joy, and luxury, of making some new friends. chfields, GhostWarrior and daughter, of CZForums.com fame, were in attendance and we got together to represent CZ's at the match. Despite my 1911 carry, I have no problem espousing the values of the CZ line. Particularly since my collection is starting to become a collection. My first .22 rifle (that I use for Appleseed) is a CZ 452 Ultra Lux. A fine, accurate and handsome rifle. In anticipation of an eventual 3-gun or Multi-gun, I recently acquired a CZ 712 shotgun.

Getting back to this past match. Not a stellar performance. After reviewing some video of the match, I can see where the work lays. It may sound funny, but it was in my attitude towards the stage. My posture and movement lacked a sense of engagement. Focus and getting into the task at hand is the task of the day.

Looking forward to USPSA this upcoming weekend.