Author Topic: SP 01 tactical or new shadow t  (Read 13427 times)

jbwine13

SP 01 tactical or new shadow t
« on: November 09, 2012, 05:53:16 PM »
I have owned a SP-01 tactical 9mm for about two years. It is the very first handgun I have ever owned. Just love going to the club and shooting a good part of the day. Now that I have improved over the two years, I need some advise. Should I send my SP-01 tactical to the custom shop for new sights,trigger job, springs etc. (around $500) or would I be better ordering a SP-01 Shadow T? Thanks for any help.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
Re: SP 01 tactical or new shadow t
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 06:21:58 PM »
Welcome to our forum from FL!! That is a great choice of weapons!!
As far as what you should do, I would say buy the Shadow. I guess the real question is, do you think the Tactical needs new sights, trigger job and springs? Are you not happy with its performance? Are you looking to use it in competition? I'm sure other will chime in as well.....

Again, welcome to our forum!!
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

jbwine13

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 06:43:35 PM »
Thanks for the fast reply. I very much like my tactical. Talked to the custom shop, and they claim I can upgrade my tactical to a shadow t. My concern is, the tactical had cost $ 600, and now with the upgrades (yes I think I do need to do the work) at around $500, should I just get the shadow t as it already has what I would have to upgrade. Am new at shooting (just two years) and just retired, so have time to shoot lots, and want a gun that I can grow into more, and not sure, but the guys are trying to get me to join a very informal, what they call a IDPA club. More running around than serious shooting. Am not sure to invest more money into my tactical, or shoot for a shadow t that may serve me for many long fun years. I just don't want to through money into something am going to have to replace again.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 07:06:34 PM »
Are they talking about a straight across trade or how much do they want you to pay along with your gun, for the Shadow? If it is less than upgrading you should go for it.

I watched my first IDPA competition last weekend with the forum owner. I thought it was pretty cool. I would love to try it, but don;t know where to go to practice for that type of shooting.
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 12:07:40 PM »

Hello and welcome to our Forum! Glad to have you with us.

Here are a couple things you should get clarified or ask about:

1) just because CZCustom has the Shadow T in stock doesn’t mean they have done all the mods that make a great competition weapon or even the mods you want. So if you buy the Shadow T the question is have they smoothed out the trigger pull, swapped out the springs, replaced the hammer, replace the trigger (say the flat one for the curved one, and what have they done regarding the take up or travel length on the trigger? Is all that included in the price they are asking now or do you have to pay extra for any or all of that? Personally I have no idea, and this is something more or less that anyone thinking about upgrading or modding their firearms should think about before actually putting your/their money down. Ask every question you can think of, to make sure there are no added on costs after you think you have a price you can live with. And I am talking about ANY, brand or model.

2): Consider this also, you have had that Shadow T for 2 years and you know everything about it, you have built 2 years of muscle memory using it, you know how it feels and balances in your hand and it's little eccentricities. Buying an entirely new weapon though similar, is going to make you have to learn an entirely different sent of everything I mentioned. No two pistols are built the same way unless costumed from the bottom up and even then there may be small differences or quirks between one and another. Your model is at least 2 years old, which means anything including the metals and or alloys it was made with may/could have been altered as new techniques have come into play. It may weigh more or less, how much is anyone’s guess. And yes sending you present weapon in to be modded is going to do some or all of that but with much less impact on how you handle, and shoot your weapon.

So it more or less boils down to investing in making your well used and loved pistol even better, but still essentially the same pistol your body and mind have grown accustomed to. Or do you buy an entirely new weapon, and have to learn it's little foibles, and everything that goes with what I said above. Personally I'm 2 things, Lazy with a Capital L, which means having to learn how  an entire new weapon works and handles sounds like work. And I am Sentimental about some things. I still have the very first CZ I ever bought, and a couple years ago I passed it on to my daughter when she went to college and then even further away to Austin and Graduate school. I have way more than that one CZ, and have been collecting them over the years, but instead of trading in my old, well-worn and comfortable friends I have them worked on when and if they needed the help or it seemed like a good idea.

But I am one of those people that when we have something that has taken care of us for so long, rarely let us down even when we have forgotten do things to help it work (oil, cleaning, etc.) it's still there for us. I was once told (back when I had the same car for about 10 years, and it had been rode hard and put away wet, more times than not, and I refused to get rid of it. A drunk driver did that) that I had the same attitude towards some things that the Apache's had/have for their horses. They ride them, use them until they die then eat them. (sort of a Honoring them and their loyalty and service I think){and don’t wonder, most everyone I have ever said this to, doesn’t get it, so you aren’t alone if you don’t}. So all that/this last part is most likely meaningless, I do ramble some times, my point is that what you do depends on how you look at things and think that having something that has worked well for you, upgraded, and in result a smaller or less learning curve getting to know it. Or do you retire it, keep it for plinking now and again, and buy a totally different model (yes I know, same basic name/model, and so on, but totally new) and then have a longer learning curve getting to know it as well as you know your present pistol.

Your call, and I totally get the money thing. Things are tight and getting tighter, but no matter which way you go, whether taking a risk that another part will wear out and have to be replaced, or buying new and partly if not totally unknown. So there ya go my 2 cents in MHO.

If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

jbwine13

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 01:26:38 PM »
Glad I found this forum. You guys have been great. I do not like giving up anything in my life that has been good to me. I am planning on keeping the SP-01 not matter what. After two long phone conversations with CZ-custom and going over all and other questions that GhostWarrior and Chfield brought up and some they offered, they informed me my tactical would shoot par with the shadow t. The main difference would be my tactical has a decocker and the shadow t have a manual safety. The rest that I recall would be mostly cosmetic. My concern is, I spent $600 for my tactical two years ago. Is it in my best interest to the custom shop upgrade my tactical which would now bring this $ 600 CZ to over $1,000. Or would it be a better investment to get a custom pistol, that they told me would have answered all they question you both addressed. Sorry for going on, however only been pistol shooting for two years (have been trap and skeet shooting for over 28 yrs) and don't want to make the mistakes I did with my shot guns. Buying and buying till I finally met my level of marksmanship. I want to keep the tactical or shadow t for keeps, and that why I wanted to hear from other CZ owner.
      Just moved back home two days ago, as our street lost seven homes into the ocean, and 24 more are going to be torn down. This was the second time in two years we got hit. Just finish Aug. repairing from last year, and now have to start over again. Nice thing is, we came away unscratched. I only mention this, because when the national guard lets us down our street, we had to have a police officer with us in order to enter our home. He would only allow us 15 min. to get what we needed. My wife took all the kids photos and some documents from the safe. When it was my turn, I walked the officer over to my gun safe, were I took out three O/U shot guns, one 30.06, on Stag Arms 2T AR-15 and four handguns. He stood there for about 30 sec. and I thought he was going to, well you can guess what he was going to say. Never asked if I had a CCW, just stood there and said, I guess you won't be needing me anymore. We feel very lucky, that after two storms in two years, we did not lose our home like so many other. We live 45 yards from the ocean, and at 67 it may be time to leave. Anyways, thought you would like the story about the cop.
   Once again, thanks, and am very pleased I found and joined you on this forum. Have a great day and weekend.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 01:43:20 PM »
Glad I found this forum. You guys have been great. I do not like giving up anything in my life that has been good to me. I am planning on keeping the SP-01 not matter what. After two long phone conversations with CZ-custom and going over all and other questions that GhostWarrior and Chfield brought up and some they offered, they informed me my tactical would shoot par with the shadow t. The main difference would be my tactical has a decocker and the shadow t have a manual safety. The rest that I recall would be mostly cosmetic. My concern is, I spent $600 for my tactical two years ago. Is it in my best interest to the custom shop upgrade my tactical which would now bring this $ 600 CZ to over $1,000. Or would it be a better investment to get a custom pistol, that they told me would have answered all they question you both addressed. Sorry for going on, however only been pistol shooting for two years (have been trap and skeet shooting for over 28 yrs) and don't want to make the mistakes I did with my shot guns. Buying and buying till I finally met my level of marksmanship. I want to keep the tactical or shadow t for keeps, and that why I wanted to hear from other CZ owner.
      Just moved back home two days ago, as our street lost seven homes into the ocean, and 24 more are going to be torn down. This was the second time in two years we got hit. Just finish Aug. repairing from last year, and now have to start over again. Nice thing is, we came away unscratched. I only mention this, because when the national guard lets us down our street, we had to have a police officer with us in order to enter our home. He would only allow us 15 min. to get what we needed. My wife took all the kids photos and some documents from the safe. When it was my turn, I walked the officer over to my gun safe, were I took out three O/U shot guns, one 30.06, on Stag Arms 2T AR-15 and four handguns. He stood there for about 30 sec. and I thought he was going to, well you can guess what he was going to say. Never asked if I had a CCW, just stood there and said, I guess you won't be needing me anymore. We feel very lucky, that after two storms in two years, we did not lose our home like so many other. We live 45 yards from the ocean, and at 67 it may be time to leave. Anyways, thought you would like the story about the cop.
   Once again, thanks, and am very pleased I found and joined you on this forum. Have a great day and weekend.

Glad to hear and the family are safe and didn't get too much damage...Living in Florida we can appreciate how you feel about storms.....I to was very lucky when all the hurricanes came through here....

As far as the Shadow goes, I guess it would depend on the cost, if you can end up with 2 pistols for the price of customizing one or close, I would say buy the Shadow also. 2 guns are always better than one.... :cheesy:
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

jbwine13

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 11:53:08 PM »
Thanks guys,
      I have decided to keep my SP-01 tactical and will be  ordering a Shadow Target T 9mm. Thanks again for your comments.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 02:02:00 AM »
Excellent choice!!!
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Offline GM4469

• Authorized Vendor
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 09:49:52 AM »
75 Shadow T, comes with comp hammer installed. 15# hammer spring, 85c trigger, adjustable rear, fo front, rubber grips and 2 magazines.

Good value in a gun.
czcustom.com
stuart@czcustom.com

jbwine13

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 03:26:52 PM »
Thanks, am sure it will work, as I love my CZ-75 SP-01 tactical.