Author Topic: IDPA CZ 75b - SSP or ESP?  (Read 5819 times)

Wolfbyte2586

IDPA CZ 75b - SSP or ESP?
« on: June 12, 2012, 05:21:12 PM »
Hey all,

Waiting on my holster to arrive in the mail, but trying to get as much practice as i can in before starting IDPA next month. Any suggestions as to whether SSP or ESP would be a little more forgiving on a new competitive shooter? I have a CZ 75b (not the decocker model). Ive practiced mainly shooting DA/SA rather than cocked and locked, but i was curious what everyone's experiences with Cocked and Locked vs decocking was. I've heard some clubs dont like to let you run it SSP and manually decock it every string.

I'll be practicing both ways, but any insight or suggestions?

Floyd D. Barber

Re: IDPA CZ 75b - SSP or ESP?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 04:08:25 PM »
When I shoot  one of my CZ 75Bs in IDPA, I shoot ESP. Manual de-cocking can go wrong.  As the day goes by, sweaty fingers could cause problems. You don't want a discharge on the line causing you to get sent home.

You can consult with the SO's during the new shooters briefing and get their input. They may allow it, or they may want you to shoot ESP. Either way, you will have an enjoyable time.

As an SO, and a shooter of the CZ 75B, in my eyes ESP would be more forgiving. Sweeping the thumb safety becomes second nature after a while. And the risk of an unwanted discharge is reduced.

Wolfbyte2586

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »
Quick question: when shooting cocked and locked in the classifier, do you have to start the OH only string with the gun on safe? In which case how do you flip the safety given that the 75b only has the safety on the left side? I'm sure once i see it done in person it will be clear, but having no opportunity to go for at least 3 weeks i figured i could ask while i wait.

Thanks!

Floyd D. Barber

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 02:30:25 PM »
In the classifier weak hand only, safety is off.