Author Topic: Memorial Day  (Read 10080 times)

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Memorial Day
« on: May 22, 2012, 09:20:12 PM »
           This coming Monday, we as a nation will take time to celebrate and honor the dedication and service they have all done to protect our great nation. It is not a simple thing to risk everything for a principle and it's harder on the families of those men and woman that take up the burden of protecting our Country, ourselves and our families. No one makes these people do what they do; they face the danger by their own choice.

The first known observance of Memorial Day was in Charleston, South Carolina in 1865; freedmen (freed enslaved Africans) celebrated at the Washington Race Course, today the location of Hampton Park, and each year thereafter. African Americans founded Decoration Day, now referred to as Memorial Day, at the graveyard of 257 Union soldiers and labeled the gravesite "Martyrs of the Race Course" on May 1, 1865. Black Charlestonians created this American tradition. [3](From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day.

Reading this you may think that I am speaking to the Military personal both in and out of uniform, and when this holiday was started back in 1865, it was for Military Persons killed in war. Now days it morphed into a celebration of remembrance for ALL Military Personal, in or out of uniform, living or deceased. However, In fact I am speaking to the belief that this day should morph again and include all the people that put their lives on the line every day that has nothing to do with Military Service (In point of fact a number of these folks are in Reserves or National Guard besides doing their day jobs).

I am speaking to our Law Enforcement, Fire personal, First Responders, EMT's and so forth. These folks also deserve to be recognized on Memorial Day as well, if for no other fact than they proved themselves above and beyond the call of duty day in and day out, and on that day back in September they proved to the world with their very lives that they too were up to the task of defending our country and its citizens. I have not heard of a single member of any of these agencies refusing to go to the aid on stricken citizens while our Military kept watch over head. In fact there are countless stories where these incredible people went into harm’s way with the certain knowledge they may certainly not survive. (I mean no disrespect to those civilians that also risked everything that day helping to save those they could, and all though civilians step up to the plate individually as the occasion arises, they do not make a living from it nor do they do so every single day, 24/7, day off or not.)

This brings me to this. We should all make an effort to include these selfless individuals in our Remembrances on Monday and celebrate their deeds right alongside the deeds of all our Heroes. And so at least from myself I want to say Thank you to ALL of them, and whoever served with them reading this now, sincerely from the bottom of my heart. May the Deity you believe in watch over you and comfort your families.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:23:00 PM by GhostWarrior »
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice