Author Topic: My Saiga  (Read 13834 times)

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
My Saiga
« on: February 07, 2011, 11:11:39 PM »
This is the Saiga I bought along with the case it came in.

If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

cx

Re: My Saiga
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 12:53:20 PM »
@ GW Ultra sharp and COOOOOLLL I want one.......also the case. ;D

AH-1

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 04:05:21 PM »
good looking AK.the russians build the best stuff.love the patches!!!

pete

Viking

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 08:49:47 PM »
What caliber is your Saiga? I know along with the 7.62x39 they also make them in 223 and 308. I'd like to get one or three  ;D  of these rifles.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 04:17:09 PM »
.308 And it's a hoot to shoot. I was prepared for serious shoulder thumping but barely noticed the recoil.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Viking

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »
That's what I call a "fun gun". I already have a semi that shoots the 7.62x39 so I'm debating over the 223 and 308. I have other guns that shoot the 223 so it would be more cost efficient with ammo. But I can have a lot of fun with the 308 and some soft point bullets.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 09:19:59 PM »
I already own a CZ 550 Urban Counter Sniper in .308 so I got the Saiga because I didn't want to have different rounds any more than I could help it. And I already own a VZ BRNO 24 .338 in Winchester Mag. They all shot great. When the weather gets better I may try to take a pick of all 3 of them together and post it. I already have a pic of each one posted but it just acquired to me that a pic of them together somehow would look shiny.
Ya I know the feeling, I live for instant gratification and it's a good thing I'm not a Doctor, because I am not good with patience.

cx

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 02:40:53 PM »
The Saiga does it come in 12ga also?

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
Well paint me Red and call me a Commie! When you asked that question I started to chuckle like the idiot I am. Then I decided to look it up and dang if you didn't ask a really good question! and sure enough they not only make Long guns they make what they claim is the fastest shot gun in the world. Here’s the link. http://www.saiga-shotguns.com/

If I needed another shot gun to be totally honest about it I would buy a CZ simply because I like the look and feel of them and the quality. I do so love my Saiga .308 but my CZ 550 UCS .308 is every bit as accurate and well made.

Still that was a heck of a question and I am glad you asked, 'cause now I know something I never even would have guessed before now. Seriously!? Who would have thought about an AK Shot Gun??

Viking

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 07:06:41 AM »
I've been looking around. On the internet I see people claiming they paid as little as $280.00 for a Saiga .223. The prices seem to run between $280.00 and $450.00. Everywhere I look the cheapest I can find the .223 is $500.00 and the 308 at $569.00. Are these internet people telling the truth? or is it more exspensive because I live in a tax and spend anti gun state? ( CT )

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 11:45:16 AM »
I can't honestly say since I bought mine for $900 from a member of the other forum but I also got some accessories and the case, So I still may have over paid but I do like the weapon and the case gets a lot of double takes so I doubt it was cheap nor easy to find/get.

Viking

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 08:53:54 PM »
I came to the conclusion these guys on youtube are full of it. After more research I've concluded that $500 for the 223 is a pretty good price. the price goes up with the size of the caliber and which options you get with the rifle. wood or plastic stocks, cheek plate etc.

Court07

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 11:07:07 AM »
GhostWarrior,

In your opinion would it be relatively easy to turn this into a firearm that would reach out 300-400 yards with a sight conversion and/or addition of a decent scope?

I've been mulling getting into some sport shooting and am going over my options for such. I know I would probably be best served with a bolt action...but I like my shoulder. Out of the three platforms I would pick from, I am most familiar with the AK platform, though I am far from being an "expert". The AR platform was explained to me well by my brother (issued to him while in theater in Afghanistan). I like to give my firearms a good strip and scrub after use, and he explained to me that they were only allowed to break them down so far in the military. Many small parts to keep track of with the AR. The bolt action would be ideal....but as I mentioned I like my shoulder. The bones don't take shock like they used to after 3.5 years working in a freezer and throwing heavy crap around. The .308 holds it's line of travel against wind better than the .223/5.56 

Also, it would cover the job of an "all hell broke loose" rifle. Of course, "tactical retreat" (otherwise known as running like hell) would be priority #1. I'm sure I'll catch some flack for running, but wife and kid are the priority...and this is real life, not the movies.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 04:10:17 PM »
           The single last thing I'm going to be worried about is flak for trying to protect my family. All that macho stuff is just that stuff! You are correct, family first. Stand your ground if you don't have a choice so they can get away, but if the opportunity is there then go with them.

As for the .308 the answer is a definite Yes to both you questions. I have some issues with the entire 16 line and any other weapon that has to have an assist built in to seat a round. If you have to build in an assist then you designed a bugger of a weapon and should either redesign it so the bolt works like it's supposed to or make the correct ammo for the thing. Taking the time to try ramming a round into the breech is in my opinion a good way to give the enemy a better chance to kill you. I'm not really happy that I have been shot at by folks with AK's, and even less happy about the folks that were using them. But it was designed to be used by anyone that had an IQ above room temp, and in any circumstance. 

Of course those aren't the only two long guns that shoot .308. but that what we are talking about so ........ I have a CZ 550 UCS .308 and it's got a Night Force scope on it. It reaches out a lot further than 400yards.  The Saiga does also, but it's a much better quality AK platform than the stamped out ones. I don't see any reason not to put a scope on the Saiga, I just haven't gotten around to it. Oh and I'm 61 now and I'm not a huge fan of pain, never have been, and neither of those two longguns even cause a twinge in my shoulder during or after using them.

Hope this helps.

Court07

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 10:55:30 PM »
           The single last thing I'm going to be worried about is flak for trying to protect my family. All that macho stuff is just that stuff! You are correct, family first. Stand your ground if you don't have a choice so they can get away, but if the opportunity is there then go with them.

As for the .308 the answer is a definite Yes to both you questions. I have some issues with the entire 16 line and any other weapon that has to have an assist built in to seat a round. If you have to build in an assist then you designed a bugger of a weapon and should either redesign it so the bolt works like it's supposed to or make the correct ammo for the thing. Taking the time to try ramming a round into the breech is in my opinion a good way to give the enemy a better chance to kill you. I'm not really happy that I have been shot at by folks with AK's, and even less happy about the folks that were using them. But it was designed to be used by anyone that had an IQ above room temp, and in any circumstance. 

Of course those aren't the only two long guns that shoot .308. but that what we are talking about so ........ I have a CZ 550 UCS .308 and it's got a Night Force scope on it. It reaches out a lot further than 400yards.  The Saiga does also, but it's a much better quality AK platform than the stamped out ones. I don't see any reason not to put a scope on the Saiga, I just haven't gotten around to it. Oh and I'm 61 now and I'm not a huge fan of pain, never have been, and neither of those two longguns even cause a twinge in my shoulder during or after using them.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for the reply and the insight. I actually looked into the CZ 550 UCS, and though it is a bit out of my price range, I do have my eye on the CZ 550 American (found one on gunbroker for $815 to start) amongst other bolt actions.

On the semi automatic side, I am looking at the Saiga, a Springfield M1A, a Remington 750 (if I can find additional info on it). 

I note the fact that you mentioned being fired upon with an AK. I would wager that you are either a current or former law enforcement officer or soldier. Either which way, I thank you greatly for your service. I come from a family that has produced many soldiers and a few law enforcement officers also. I'm actually looking into a career change from business management to correctional officer.

Thanks again for your insight and help, GW.