Author Topic: CZ Woodcock 20 Gage O/U double shot  (Read 8491 times)

Offline Joe

CZ Woodcock 20 Gage O/U double shot
« on: May 16, 2017, 12:35:55 AM »
OK, this is my first post and quite sad I feel the need to share the misfortune I experienced when I purchased an in-the-box CZ Woodcock 20 Gage O/U shotgun last week and the very next day experienced 3 double barrel fires the first 3 times I shot the gun. If the barrel selector was set to the left - both barrels would fire,  If set to the right the lower barrel would fire and the upper barrel would fire with the second pull of the trigger.  The gun has been returned to the service center for repairs but still I was very disappointing that it had to be returned the day after I bought it.  I tried to do a gun swap at the store where I purchased it as they had another identical shotgun in a box in the back room but they refused stating mine would have to be returned for service and that usually takes 4 to 5 weeks to get it back.  I certainly wasn't happy to hear that.  I know that CZ ,and that particular model, is not the most expensive out there but at the same time it's not the least costly by a long shot either.  From what I have read, the service department does a good job of going over the returns and providing suitable repairs, but that seems like a long turn around time to me.  My question to this forum is - is this a systemic problem with the CZ shotguns?  I have a new CZ Scorpion 9 mm carbine that is solid as a rock and a ton of fun to shoot.  At least a 1000 rounds through it with not a single hiccup.  Am I just the unfortunate one who got the only temperamental 20 Gage Woodcock in the country? Any feedback on any of the other Gage CZ shotguns?   :huh:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 12:51:36 AM by Joe »

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: CZ Woodcock 20 Gage O/U double shot
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 03:31:59 PM »
Joe,  I don't have any CZ shotguns, just pistols.  So far I have had good luck with my purchases.  Even if a company has 99% good deliveries it sucks to be the 1% that had a problem.  Gun stores never want to trade guns, they want the serial number on the sale to stay the same it seems.  Hopefully the repair shop will give your gun a good looking over to make sure everything is good when you get it back.

Offline Joe

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 05:59:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply and yes it sucks to be the 1% with issues.  Especially when it fails the very first time you try to shoot it.  And then be told it may take up to 4 - 5 weeks to get it repaired is like adding salt to the wound.  Like you, my CZ Scorpion EVO  9 mm carbine is a sweet firearm that is very reliable and a blast to shoot.  I'm sure everything will work out in the end but sometimes you just need to vent.....
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 02:22:42 AM by Joe »

Offline Joe

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 02:11:48 AM »
More disheartening news - I gave CZ-USA a call to get a status of fixing my brand new Woodcock G2 shotgun doubling that they have had in their passion for two weeks now and the warranty person said it may be another 4 to 5 weeks before they can get to it.  I would have thought that a gun right out-of-the-box that failed first time you tried to shoot it would have some kind of priority to get it fixed and back to a new customer as quick as possible.  Well I guess I thought wrong.   Like I mentioned above, I've got a CZ Scorpion EVO 9 mm carbine that I simply love and with at  least 2000 rounds through it now and I've had not a single problem.  This warranty turnaround experience has left a really bad taste in my mouth to the point I'll probably never buy another CZ shotgun.  I know problems occasionally appear with any make of gun, but 2 month turnaround to fix a new gun that was in the customer's possession only 1 day is a deal killer for me. If they are that far behind in their repair department they either need to improve the quality of their product or hire more technicians.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 02:24:43 AM by Joe »

Offline Joe

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 11:48:35 PM »
Good news - I received the Woodcock back about a week ago and everything is now in good working order.  The turn-around was a bit long (they did indicate they hired 2 additional gunsmiths) but the quality of their work seems to be good.  I've had it out twice and went through around 300 shells with no doubling issues at all.  The only issue I'm having is I haven't figured out how to hit better than 50% of the clay targets I shoot at but I guess I can't blame that on the shotgun.  It's a good looking gun and I'm back in love now..... :grin:   

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 08:00:09 AM »
With over 20 years as an instructor, I think that I can help.  Have a friend watch you shoot.  Have him watch and see if you are "Following Thru" on your shots.  Do Not STOP your swing when you hit the trigger.  The other big mistake id flinching.  Have him watch if the barrel dips when you shoot.  If it does you are flinching.  Good luck with your new gun.