Author Topic: Lookin for a ccw help  (Read 4787 times)

Offline Thumbs

Lookin for a ccw help
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:40:15 AM »
I know nothing about the CZ but am looking for a ccw with a little more punch than my LCP.   I'm not gonna lie to ya I was, and may still, buy the LC9 but not sure I like the mag disconnect.  I'm not a "no safety" kinda guy but I see some possible problems with the mag disconnect.   I also would like a double strike capability and like double and single action.  All that being said I still could go with the LC9 but am looking at my options.  Ok I think now you know pretty much where I am coming from.

The question is what is the size difference between the LC9 and the CZ 2075 Rami?  Size does matter.  I want as deep concealment as possible and still be at least a 9mm or .40. I prefer pocket carry.  I normally carry in my back  pocket where the LCP is basically forgotten.  How will the Rami ride there?  Is this really a belt holster kinda pistol and really doesn't belong in my pocket?

Any help or suggestions would be great.  I am open to ideas.

Thanks for the help
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:44:21 AM by Thumbs »

Roadking Rider

Re: Lookin for a ccw help
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 03:18:01 PM »
LCP a nd P3at ar ethe perfect pocket pistols. A pistol like the Rami I think is a gun to be worn on the hip with it's exposed hammer and beavertail. Pistols like the Kahr PM9 will work for pocket carry do to there ERGo's but IMO are a bit big. Only thing wrong with the LCP and the rest is there a .380. There not pistols I'd want to get in a gun fight with but they have there place as a deep conceal SD pistol. It's all give and take.

Offline Thumbs

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »
Yep I agree.  I've been carrying the LCP for a couple of years and it just melts in your pocket.  I really forget its there.  I also agree that the only problem with it is its a 380 however I wouldn't want to be on the business end of it anyway.  I was looking for a 9mm that would be as small as possible, within cost reason, and also be as reliable as my LCP has been.  Never never never had a problem with it and I have shot it a bit.  I mostly shoot my reloads in it. 

I was looking at the Kahr CM9 this afternoon.  A bit pricy even with the lower price but it is small for a 9mm.  I forgot to put it next to the LC9 but I think its just a bit smaller. 

james

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 11:41:57 PM »
I have a kahr cw9 that Ive had for a bit now and its a great little pistol, but it does have the double action trigger pull which is quite smooth and has a nice break.  However because it is DAO for me I feel like I have to take just a bit more time keeping my sight picture than with a SA pull like most semi-auto pistols.  I like it well enough, but it will be strictly a run to the store or a summer ccw weapon; because I like SA pulls better.  Then again I havent had it all that long and maybe the DAO pull wont bother me after a while.

As far as a pocket pistol the size of the kahr is right, but the squarish slide is glock like (at least on the cw9) and isnt as comfortable as the lcp looks to be.  It also might be more eay to deduce what it is in your pocket. I don't really know if CZ makes a true "pocket pistol", but whats wrong with a rami and an inside the pants holster?  Not as simple as a pocket, but the trade off is capacity and a full size 9x19 cartridge.

-edit-  Afterall it's only your life at stake  :wink:   -edit-
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:44:26 PM by james »

aussie57

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 07:10:48 AM »
They do make pocket holsters for the RAMI. Uncle Mike's pocket holster comes to mind. It will work with large cargo pants type pockets. Trying to get the RAMI out of your pocket (due to it's size) in a hurry is another matter. I carry mine in a belt holster and it conceals VERY well with a good holster. I am currently using a FIST holster which holds the gun very tight to the body anbd is well built. When I want a pocket pistol I take my Seecamp. The RAMI is not a pocket pistol. Bob

Roadking Rider

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 07:28:55 AM »
I was seriously looking at the Rami at one time, but when I weighed the differences between the Rami and the Kahr PM9 the PM9 won out. Both pistols are great pistols,but the ergo's to me in a large part made  the difference. The PM9 although it  may not be the perfect pocket pistol it does carry well in a jacket , vest or cargo shorts pockets. If needed in a hurry there is really nothing to get hung up do to it's overall design. It also carries very well CC on the hip also.
It has also been a 100% reliable since the day I bought it. The trigger on the PM9 is wide and smooth as butter and seems to get better all the time, either that or I'm just doing better with it. It is DAO with may not appeal to everyone, but I have no problem with it and shoot it as good as I did my XD9sc, which I no long own because the PM9 put that on the shelf as a EDC pistol, which the PM9 is except when I need to deep conceal carry. Enter the P3at for deep CC. The sale of the XD9sc just helped me buy the CZ 75B that I bought though. Love that pistol. I do love the Rami and maybe I'll own one, one day but at the present time the PM9 is my EDC choice. As I mentioned earlier the Kel Tec P3at  and the Ruger LCP is as good it gets for a reasonably priced deep conceal carry pistol. Both are very reliable  but they are what they are .380's, but with todays ammo I believe there not the same .380's your daddy shot. Bullet dechnology has come a long way through the years. However buyers should not expect them to do things they were not designed to do. They are not range toys and fun to shoot a lot of rounds through at one time. They are a small comfortable reasonably priced CC tool  that disapears when carried.  Nothing more.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 05:10:22 PM »
         My 2 cents, would be a CZ 82 9 x 18 (sort of a .380 meets a 9mm and they had a child) also known I believe as a Browning 9 short. I haven't had trouble finding ammo for it. Just look for Makarov Ammunition and I know Brown Bear and Silver Bear both come in 9 x 18. As do some other Brands and mfg. Get FMJ especially if you can get the Bear brand. and 3 9 x 18's in the chest is more than very likely to stop most anyone. but it couldn't hurt to shot them a couple more times for luck but ONLY if they are still standing. LEOs and DA;s take a very dim view of shooting anyone on the ground unless they are still trying to shoot you of course. Witnesses help.  :cool:

The CZ 82 is very flat and it fits in both my front pocket and back pocket, no problemo. I have also carried it in one of my jacket/windbreaker pockets and suite coat pocket all without anyone seeing it or suspecting. Well depending on the suit of course carrying it in one of it's outside coat pockets may/might through off the drape a bit but in the inside pocket works well.

The CZ 75 D Compact and the RAMI, and the P-07 Duty are all 9mm's or .40's, but as a couple folks pointed out not all together pocket pistol material. But ya a cargo pocket works but you can hide a Desert Eagle in those. Getting it out is a whole nother thing as was also pointed out.

And at the moment CZ 82's are almost everywhere for less than $300.00 USDs. Just make sure you have a gunsmith go over it before you shot it. Well that's my take on the subject. Hope it gives you more options. The others were good also, so I bet it isn't going to be easy. I suppose it all boils down to how does it feel in your hand and do you like it? You are the one has has to live with it so even though all of us have the best intentions and what to help you, try them all out, go with your gut.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 01:17:51 AM »
I agree with the above post. I'm a bit prejudiced as my first pistol ever was an 83 in .380, and (I know we've all heard this story before) with good ammo I don't think that the .380 would let you down.
As for the CZ vs. (what I believe is a) Kahr, well, I know from experience that the RAMI is a sweet little shooter, and is comfortable for IWB or SOB carry. A pocket pistol it is not. And for what little it's worth, I would go with the 9mm unless you have had enough time in with the .40 S&W to know it's what you want. It took me a few months, but I decided that I despise that round.  :angry:

In my opinion, and YMMV, the CZ is made to shoot, and shoot bloody well, while the Kahrs are made to wear comfortably all day long. That may be what you need. You hope to God to never have to use it but always have it, and the Kahrs are beautiful little sidearms.

But what do I know? When I carry I switch between my 75B (full size, of course) and my GI 1911 (again, full size). I'm "fluffy" enough to pull it off.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 01:21:28 AM by b5.5dan »

Offline Thumbs

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 11:20:56 AM »
I just went with a Kahr cm9.  I have had it about a month now with no problems after about 350 rounds.  Well that isn't exactly the truth.  I was trying my reloads and found they were to light in powder.  I knew they were light loads anyway.  As soon as I increased by .3grains it has been flawless with factory, reloads and SD ammo.

I ordered another Bear Creek wallet holster for it.  Great holsters at a fair price.  I works great in my back pocket.  I do forget it's there but of course it doesn't melt in the pocket like the LCP, there is more weight but not a problem.  I would do it again.  I wanted a pistol I could pocket in 9mm.  Yes the Kahr is a little square but it really doesn't bother me for pocket carry.