Author Topic: NICS Problem - Need advice  (Read 13439 times)

jcash46835

NICS Problem - Need advice
« on: November 12, 2011, 08:20:57 AM »
I selected a CZ75 P01 from CZCustom.com. Had it shipped to my FFL. Great transaction with Angus at CZ Customs.

Went to pick the gun up.  Filled out the Federal Transfer record paperwork out.  My FFL called and provided and verified all the information to the voice on the other end of the phone.  He was given a transaction number and transfered to someone else.  He repeated the transaction number and verified my name.  He then said "DENIED?"   

I filled out an appeal online requesting information as to "WHY" I was denied, but in the mean time, I wonder if there is any way to run a check on oneself.

I have a completely clear criminal record (NO ARRESTS, One traffic violoation and one traffic warning)

I have a concealed carry permit (lifetime personal protection) issued about a year ago.

I simply do not understand why this happends.

Again, can I run my own check via the internet to see what could possibly be the problem?

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: NICS Problem - Need advice
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 09:38:38 AM »
            Not that I know of no you can't. Also won't be the first time I was/am wrong either. If you still have, the filled out form or the gunstore still does, then look it over section by section. If you have a middle initial then spell out the middle name if you haven't allready, Check to make sure the place of birth is correct, and your S/S # is also correct. Other than you may have had your identity stolen and used if everything is correct then I can't see any reason why it would be denied at all. Especially since you have a CCW. After all you had to go through the same checks actually more detailed checks considering your finger prints were processed, so something had happened Possible the clerk gave the agent the wrong numbers and didn't even realize it, or misspelt your name over the phone of the Agent misspelled it.

Other than filing an appeal maybe, possibly, you can stop by the Police Station or Sheriff's Office and ask them if they can do a background check on you. Frankly I doubt that they will, but then again for a fee they ran your prints so maybe they have fees for getting your own background checked. I have no idea what so ever other than what I have just said and that is only a guess on my part. Keep in mind that if your ID was stolen and someone did something to cause theproblem the LEO's might see the issue and then arrest you while you are there. Then again you could ask a Land Shark, sorry Lawyer if it can be done and if so for how much. Hopefully it's someone you know more or less well or at least on a friendly basis and won't nick you for their fee for giving you their advice.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:47:36 AM »
Sorry to hear this. It could simply be a clerical error. There shouldn't be anything you personally have done to prevent you from failing this background check.

Any updates on this issue?

jcash46835

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:58:22 PM »
Oh Yes..Update (way late update)

I filed an appeal using the FBI NICS website and by Tuesday of the following week, they called my FFL back to say "Proceed".  I was told that my name made a hit on their "deny" database, but the second level at NICS should have seen my SSN, name and address should have (and ultmately did) make way for the delivery.

Later I recieve a letter from NICS saying I could submit my finger prints and authorize them to keep my records past the legal time to insure that future purchases would not be blocked.  I said...No thanks.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 02:03:42 PM »
        Well that's Great news! Congratulations! I am very happy for you that you got that sorted and you can finally get some range time in. And you picked a heck of a weapon from one of the greats in custom pistol work.  Let us know how you like it sometime when you get the chance. And happy Holidays.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 03:14:09 PM »
Good information. If it ever happens to me or someone I know I can tell them the process.

Later I recieve a letter from NICS saying I could submit my finger prints and authorize them to keep my records past the legal time to insure that future purchases would not be blocked.  I said...No thanks.

How kind of them to offer such service.

I have on at my office pinned the wall an electric bill. It is for $3,548.25
My wife called the electric company, gave them the correct meter reading and they verified it to be a mistake. Then from the kindness of the hearts they asked her if she wanted to be the incorrect bill and have the account credited the difference.

Kindness knows no bounds.

b5.5dan

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 09:14:16 PM »

I have on at my office pinned the wall an electric bill. It is for $3,548.25
My wife called the electric company, gave them the correct meter reading and they verified it to be a mistake. Then from the kindness of the hearts they asked her if she wanted to be the incorrect bill and have the account credited the difference.

Kindness knows no bounds.
Sounds like the local power company... Our 3 bedroom house has an incredible power bill every month. I keep telling them that there is a problem, but I can't prove it. Sods... haha!

BTW, glad you got this sorted. Even though I know I am always on my best behavior, I am always nervous when I buy a new firearm for just this reason. Good job!

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 01:37:50 PM »
I keep waiting for my name to get on the "Lists" as well, although I haven't had even a speeding ticket in over a decade.