Author Topic: Identifying chokes  (Read 2659 times)

Offline isaac509

Identifying chokes
« on: February 16, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
Hi folks -

I bought another CZ, this time a 12ga 'Woodcock', a nice over/under I picked up at SW. 

I can't figure out which chokes are which.  There's some stuff in forums that imply it's the same as Benelli (1 notch for full choke, 5 for cylinder) but also posts saying the exact opposite.   I read the manual, and I'm not seeing an ID chart.

I'm taking the gun out for the first time tomorrow, and hoping to shoot some clays.   It came out of the box with a 3 notch choke in the top barrel and a 4 notch choke in the bottom, set for the top barrel to fire first.   

I want my first shot to be a slightly wider pattern, and the second or follow up shot to be a little bit tighter, right?  I know this is a deep topic that isn't really complete without the shot being used (steel #6 1 1/8 oz), I'm looking for a reasonable starting point.

Thanks in advance,

- Eli

Offline isaac509

Re: Identifying chokes
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 04:08:08 PM »
I called CZ USA, and the person that answered the support line was friendly and knowledgeable.   Here's the scoop:

1 notch = full
2 notch = I-mod
3 notch = mod
4 notch = Improved Cylinder
5 notch = Cylinder

She acknowledged that the manual doesn't contain this info, which made me feel better :)

Best,

- Eli

Offline frgood

Re: Identifying chokes
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 06:27:35 AM »
Thanks  for the information. This is good to know.