Author Topic: Spinal arthritis and EDC holster  (Read 4093 times)

Offline Latigo

Spinal arthritis and EDC holster
« on: March 02, 2016, 12:08:00 PM »
I have a problem.  I have arthritis in my lower spine.  This has created a stenosis that impinges my sciatic nerve and that causes pain in my hip and lower leg.  Formerly this was on my left side.  Since I'm right handed, that wasn't a(big) problem until recently.  A couple of weeks ago, it switched sides on me.  Until then, my EDC was a CZ75 compact(or clone) in a Crossbreed IWB holster mounted behind my right hip.  This has worked well for me.  It was comfortable and it hid the pistol well even under a loose t-shirt.  Until now.  Now wearing it causes me such pain that I can no longer carry it there and have been reduced to pocket carrying  Ruger LCP, a situation that I view as being "better than hittin' 'em with your purse."  Nothing against the LCP.  It's a good backup, but not desirable as a primary piece.  I just wonder.  Does anyone else out there have the same problem, and how have you dealt with it?  I'd like to carry my CZ again, and in something that doesn't hurt.

I posted this earlier on another forum.  I'm hoping that perhaps someone on this one may have some suggestions.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 07:51:15 PM by chfields »

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: Spinal arthritis and EDC holster
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 11:42:50 AM »
I don't have the problem that you describe, but thought that I would make a suggestion.  It is hard to hide a shoulder rig in warm places, but if your climate allows they are very comfortable and easier to draw from with impairments.  At first one would think that two full magazines on the opposite side as the gun would not be more comfortable.  It couldn't be farther from the truth.  Try one on and see if it would help. 

Offline Latigo

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 11:49:03 AM »
Thanks.  I have thought of that and I do think it would work well during the cooler weather, however the weather will be warming up again soon, and our Kansas summers can be hot.  Something on the belt would suit me better.  I do appreciate the input.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 05:10:29 PM »
Throwing in my 2 cents here. I grew up in New Orleans, the surrounding areas and in Miss. I now live in Fl. ALL of these places are hot with a capital hot. And more or less that's year round. And because of that when I wasn't in a suit I wore a fishing/photographers vest. I can't remember what they call the hide out vests but 5.11 has a couple great ones.

So you have 2 options here, 1) they conceal a Good shoulder rig very well, (and Rodolfo, is correct, having twin mag pouches on the other side balances out the rig nicely). or 2) you can use one of the hideout pockets on the (I'm going with "Operators" vest) vest with the appropriate Velcro holster in one pocket and twin mags in the other pocket. OR you can something I have done more than once and use the bellows pockets in front on either side of the vest to hold your weapon and the other to hold the mags. Frankly I like this way best of all since you can get to them very fast and they conceal a Lot of sins.

Oh and I have non stop back problems so yes I have tried all sorts of ways and rigs. I like the vests best, but to each their own.

GW
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Sprags

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 08:47:51 AM »
I have severe back pain also from multiple auto accidents and a motorcycle falling on me while it was on the moving truck ramp. Herniated discs. Stenosis. Sciatica, etc.

I had a Galco SOB holster for my Glock 19 and I thought that worked well. When I was standing or walking and I had a shirt or jacket over the holster it was unnoticeable. Most sitting positions didn't cause a problem. I understand if I fell on my back it could cause severe injury so with the current issues I have I'm thinking I should go with a holster I wear at the 4 or 5 o'clock position.

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 09:33:42 AM »
I like a MOB holster,  For the last ten years I've been using Alessi's Talon and have been happy with them.  They take two months to get (its been a couple of years since I ordered).

http://www.alessigunholsters.com/alessi-holsters-mob-talon-holster-for-cz-usa-guns/

Offline ut83

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 03:58:57 PM »
I've dealt with clients with mobility problems for years. If I can help just give me a hell.
It's my pleasure to help you sort out these kinds of issues.
Sometimes it's the weird stuff that works.
Shoot well.

Offline jay-man

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 02:13:43 AM »
Wow! Talk about spooky! Spinal stenosis, sciatica, arthritis, CZ75 w/ Crossbreed IWB holster, we could be twins and not even know it! My pain comes and goes on my right side, which is my carry side. I found that a Hanks gun belt helped to support my weapon. The belt is the Kydex lined one, not cheap, but a vital piece of my carry setup. Look on Amazon if interested.