Author Topic: Thinking of buying my first CZ Pistol.  (Read 3303 times)

Offline MichSteve

Thinking of buying my first CZ Pistol.
« on: December 23, 2018, 06:57:03 AM »
I have shot handguns for over 40 years, the Glock platform is what I have shot the most. I was thinking of a DA/SA gun and have been researching the CZ 75 platform.
Looking for a range/home defense gun with a rail, I am looking at the SP-01 Compact, SP-01 Tactical or the Shadow 2.
Knowing the Shadow is a competition gun and no decocker vs the other two with decocker, I am leaning toward a gun with a decocker. (Maybe the decocker is no big deal and all in my head)

Questions:
 1. Is the accuracy with the Shadow that much better than the Tactical?
 2. Is the Tactical to big to CCW?
 3. Is the Compact two small to be very accurate at the range compared to the other two?
 4. Is the decocker feature a big deal or not?

Thanks in advance for any of your input.

Offline MedicRijos

• CZForum.com Shooting Team member
Re: Thinking of buying my first CZ Pistol.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 09:44:58 AM »
As far as accuracy goes, it all depends on the shooter and wether or not the correct fundamentals are being applied. A good shooter applying the correct shooting fundamentals can be accurate with either platform. The Shadow 2 comes with a front fiber optic front sight vs the Tactical that comes with night sights. In my own personal opinion I prefer fiber optic, however im giving up being able to see it in all darkness, vs  night sights, but with night sights its alot harder to have a good sight picture on far targets, and thats where the fiber optic comes out in front. The Tactical platform is close to the G17 size, but heavier. It all depends on you and what you like to carry. Your 3rd question goes back to fundamentals and what you’re trying to achieve at the range. Are you practicing self defense, or competition? And as far as the decocker question, with the Shadow 2 you can always bring the hammer down manually and have your 1st shot in DA/SA. That is not a big deal. Ive own both, and the Tactical has taken the backburner once i purchased my Shadow models.
My 2 cents
YouTube: Rafy Rijos
Facebook: Rafy Rijos

Offline MichSteve

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 05:05:49 PM »
Sounds like the Shadow might be a good way to save and just buy once, I was thinking 1911 until I started researching the CZ line.
If I wanted to CCW the compact would be about the largest I would want to carry.

Offline Dvrdwn72

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 04:04:25 PM »
The compact is a good platform and I think you'll be pleased with it.

Offline OhShoot

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 11:37:26 AM »
I would suggest CZ PCR

Offline NightSightJim

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 05:20:21 PM »
I have shot only Glocks and Sigs for the past 8 years...bought my first CZ a few months ago.  Just bought my 4th Custom Shop handgun....have not shot mt Glocks in 2 months. Just purchased a Shadow Target 2, best handgun I have ever shot right out of the box.  First magazine blew out the center of the target without a flier.  Both 115 Grain and Syntec 150 Grain cycled perfectly. YUP, very, very spoiled! 

Offline RumRunner

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 05:42:56 PM »
PCR as someone else said ,75 Compact or my favorite, the P01 are all good size for CC. Had a Rami, but just too small for me, wasn't comfortable. Large frames all are good- currently have P09 but considering adding a SP01 Shadow, which is the polymer version of the SP01. If you're shooting on the range much or competition, go with the steel frame models and you can't go wrong.Like owning an anvil, they are sturdy.
Just another old guy, retired, and lots of history.Currently have P-09, P01 FNS-9, and Model 66 wheel gun.Previous included 2075 Rami,75 Compact, 75B, and 5 or 6 1911's. I guess I'm a CZ fan.

Offline PappaWheelie

• "This is war, and in war, time is of the essence"
    • The Children's Bread
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 09:40:21 PM »
If by SP-01 Compact you meant P-01 Compact, it should be your benchmark. All CZs are very accurate, but the aluminum framed P-01 Compact and 2075 RAMI BD are far more concealable and of course lighter, which is an issue for all-day CC.
http://www.czforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=5398.msg22795#msg22795
If you're still in decision mode I esteem your patience, and would like to suggest taking a hard look at the 2075 RAMI BD with extended magazine for a "full sized" grip that is, frankly, the best of the line and arguably the best period for hand fit.
https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=99762.0
Besides being incrementally lighter, narrower, and more concealable than the P-01, it features TruDot Tritium night sights but lacks the rail you think you want. How does the rail enhance concealed carry?
Trigger jobs are fun: http://www.czforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=5463.msg23034#msg23034
Member, Gun Owners of America
CC: CZ 2075 RAMI BD in PappaWheelie Invisible 15 Round RAMI Holster
Homeboy: CZ 97 BD, Underwood 45 Super 120 Grain Xtreme Defender ammo
UBG: CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical Urban Grey Suppressor-ready
-all w/ CGW Short Reset Kit/1485-T2 Disco, 5 "Thick" Trigger, polished SA tooth

Offline J Mercurio

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 11:04:34 AM »
The P-01 is a great gun and would fit your needs quite well.

Offline DanielCChamberlain

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 05:17:42 PM »
Steve

Up to a week ago, my everyday carry weapon was a Springfield XD Mod 2 Subcompact. Then I discovered the CZ P-01. The one I bought was the Urban Grey, Tactical model. Size wise, it's just about the same as the Mod 2, with an ever-so-slightly longer slide/barrel (though the threaded barrel extends the barrel length beyond the end of the slide.)

Weight is comparable. Width is similar. But for some reason the CZ feels more comfortable and less blocky IWB.

Accuracy is phenomenal! It shoots right up there with my competition pistol.

What's not to love.