Author Topic: CZ Custom Experience - my very fast trigger job.  (Read 53877 times)

Powerpuff boy

CZ Custom Experience - my very fast trigger job.
« on: April 02, 2012, 02:51:31 PM »
 I recently asked CZ Custom to do a trigger job on my Cz75B (.40 cal.). This was my first time to work with a gunsmith. Also, I had never shipped a gun to anywhere before.
 I hope  this posting would make working with a gunsmith (and shipping your gun) a bit easier (or less confusing) for those who have not done it.

(Initial contact)
 I checked CZ Custom's website. (http://czcustomguns.com/

A trigger job (DA 8.5-9.0 lbs/SA 3.5-4.0lbs) was listed here for $170.(http://czcustom.com/sanditriggerworksada.aspx.) 

But the return shipping cost was not properly calculated.   So I emailed CZ Custom to find out how I should request a trigger job.  In 2 days Rob Bagnato of CZ Custom emailed me back and told me not to "buy" anything on the webpage. He said it would just create a confusion (no return shipping cost included).   

He told me to ship the gun with detailed contact information.  Once they receive it, they will put it onto their system that would generate an invoice.   (and I will provide my credit card information over the phone or via email.  I suggest you call them)

Other pieces of information he provided me:
 -  how to ship a gun(for the UPS and FedEx) (I requested how)
- return shipping cost would be around $30-40 using 2 day air. (I guess that depends on where you live, too)
- turnaround time would be approx. 3 weeks (as of March 2012)
- there was nothing they can do about trigger reset distance (see their expalantion on their web)
- factory trigger pull weights are 12-13lbs for DA and 5-6lbs for SA.
 Because I have fairly small hands and some issues with my fingers/hands (too much typing), I asked Rob to adjust the weights to the ligter end of the ranges (closer to 8.5 Lbs for DA and 3.5lbs for SA).

(the Kadet Kit)
 They carried the Kadet Kit for $355. I thought it was a good deal.  I called Rob and asked to add the Kadet Kit for my purchase.
 Here is something you may be interested in knowing: he remembered about my request for lighter pulls.  He told me that the Kadet kit required 9.0lbs for DA for proper functioning. (The SA would not have any issue.)  If I wanted to use the Kit, I would not be able to have 8.5 lb DA.  I said fine. After all, I use the gun almost like the SAO anyway.  Plus, 9lbs seemed still pretty good compared to 12-13lbs. 
 So if you have the Kit already, you may want to mention that to them (or whoever you work with), when you request a trigger job.   The Kit may become a factor when you make a decision about the DA pull weight.
 Rob also asked if I wanted them to fit the kit. (some filing required for $50).  I said why not.  The last thing I wanted was to re-ship the gun to them, if the kit did not fit.  But I do know that many people simply purchased the kit and used it w/o any issue. So is the fitting/filing for extra $ really necessary?  I will leave that to your judgment.

BTW, if you have any question, I suggest you call Rob.  He is much more personable, if you actually talk to him.

(Shipment)
 I taped my address/tel number/email address on the CZ case.  One outside of the case.   Another inside. I also enclosed the emails I exchanged with Rob (about my hand condition)

As for actual shipping, first and foremost, I don't think you can mail the gun.  (you could get into a serious, serious legal trouble)  I used FedEx.  (you could use the UPS, too) The CZ Custom provided me an instruction. 
 Here is the link to the FedEx's requirements for firearm shipments:
http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guide/terms/express-ground/index.html

Please read it.  But some important points are:
 - Priority Overnight only! (FYI, from Portland, OR to Mesa, AZ, it was approx. $80.  Ouch.)
- you must be of legal age to ship it
- must choose adult signature requirement
- must tell a FedEx employee that the package contains a firearm (you can't simply drop it there)
- the package CANNOT indicate anyway that it contains a gun.
- No ammo.
- make sure you insure the full value of the gun.

I suggest you print out the instruction CZ Custom provides or FedEx's firearm shipping terms, and bring it with you.   That's because (a) some FedEx employees may not be familiar with firearm shipments. (The employee who handled my shipment was actually reading the instruction I brought with me.  After all, how many firearm shipments do they handle a day?) and (b) it demonstrates to them that you are trying to comply with their terms and not clueless.

FedEx was pretty good at it. (And the employees were pretty nice. I was a bit nervous there) I shipped the package around 2 pm.  By 10:00 next morning, the package was already at the shop.   I was impressed.

(invoice and payment)
 Next day or so, I received their invoice (including the Kit and related work). I called them and gave my card information.  They said they would not charge it until the job is complete.

(it comes back)
 I think I shipped the gun around March 5.  They shipped it back on March 21.  As they said, 2-3 weeks turnaround time.
 I have not had a time to go to the range.  I have been dry firing it to familiarize myself with the new trigger. They adjusted the pull weights to DA=8.9lbs/SA=3.7lbs.  (they would include a note)

(DA pull)
It is pretty decent. The difference from the factory setting is significant.  It used to be like, "squeeeeeeeez."  Sometimes I needed to strain myself a bit.   Now is it more like, "squeeze! squeeze! squeeze!"  It is so much easier. And no creep.   Ideally I would have loved it to be somewhat lighter (maybe around 8.6-8.7lbs).  But this is a major improvement.  I am happy with it.   I suspect many people would be very happy with 9.0lbs, given that even my hand can handle 8.9lbs with ease. 

(SA pull)
It is just about right.  It almost catches me by surprise, when it breaks. And that's the way I like it.   If I nitpick, when I squeeze the trigger very, very slowly, it is just a hair heavier than being perfect (for me).  But that's a very minor point. Next time (for the Shadow or CZ 83), I may request 3.6lbs, though.
 (the Kadet Kit)
Well, it does fit!  I have not shot it yet.   So I will post a range report, once I do.  Stay tuned.   BTW, the kit comes with 2 magazines.    And  I have just found out that my Baby UpLALA does not work with them!  I am contacting DenStinett-san and get one of this loaders.

(other things they did…)
 - polished the ejection port (now it is pretty shinny)
-test fired it.  (I got the target.  The gun is more accurate than I am)
-replaced the hummer (it is a part of $170 deal)
- looked into the ejector (because I asked them to)
- replaced grip screws (I almost stripped the head of one screw trying to install new grips.   Please learn from me.  The screw could be very tight.  Don’t force it.  Just apply a drop of oil.   That’s all it takes to loosen it.  You would not need to sweat and panic as I did. )
-pretty well-oiled. 
 They did insert a note to the effect that the original spring may be required for the Kadet Kit, though. 

(Summery)
 It was not cheap.   Of course I bought the Kadet Kit. ($355 + $55 ). But even without it,  the costs would have been ($170 – the trigger job- +$80 – shipping- +$45 – return shipping),  totaling  $295.  You could buy a Bersa .380 for that much money.   

But I feel it was worth it.   CZ 75B is a pretty good gun, to begin with.  Now  It is even better.  And this is one of my primary guns.  (the other being Sig P-220).  I think it was a case of money well spent.     I hope this post will be informative to those who are interested in a trigger job, but are not familiar with the process (especially with CZ Custom).
 Thank you.

Skillet42565

Re: CZ Custom Experience - my very fast trigger job.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:25:17 PM »
Super informative read, thanks for the info!  I'm debating on eventually turning my 75b into a competition gun, but as a broke college kid its pretty hard right now haha.

Powerpuff boy

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:05:51 PM »
I feel your pain.... But you know, if you are thinking about having a competition gun, you may want to go for their Shadow.  One thing I could not do was to shorten the trigger reset distance.    Yeah, it is very expensive.  But if I am to buy a SP-01,  that would be about $600.  Send it to them for a trigger job, that would add $300.   Might as well buy their Shadow that goes around $950-$1,000.    Oh well, time to start saving and eating lots of top ramen!

Offline GM4469

• Authorized Vendor
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 01:08:28 PM »
yeah...but when you watching tv, eating ramen, dryfiring your CZ Custom gun.

you will know it was worth it  :grin:
czcustom.com
stuart@czcustom.com

Powerpuff boy

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 01:10:25 PM »
Amen!

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 12:27:28 PM »
          This was done so well that I am making it a sticky so it sits at the top of the topic permenately, It's to good to lose as it scrolls down the topic list when new posts come in. Domo Powerpuff boy-san Domo arigatofor taking the time and effort to type all that out and so consciencly.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Powerpuff boy

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 06:48:53 PM »
Dou Itashimashite (no problem!) Wow.  A sticky... you are making me blush :grin:   I am glad, though, I could make some contribution to this forum.   

Offline usalinh

• QVO Tactical
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 12:39:40 AM »
Oh wow! I was wondering myself how to ship my sp 01 to get some work done and now I know. I'm debating now on if I want to ship it off or just order the parts and get a local gunsmith to do the work now.
Cz Sp 01 tactical, Cz 75b nickel plated & stainless verisons, Cz 85b, Cz 97b, Cz P07 duty, Glock 17, Glock 21, Glock 24c, H&K 416d, Ruger 10/22 tactical bull barrel, Sig Sauer 516

Powerpuff boy

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 10:14:13 PM »
CZ Custom does a very good job.  The trigger is very crisp and light.  (you may want to ask them to make it a bit heavier than 3.75lbs for the SA.   You realize it is very light, almost too light,  at the range.)

It costs you, though.   And one major cost factor is the shipping (in my case, more than $100).    (One idea.  If you know some FFL holder who can ship it on your behalf,  that may save you some money.  Just a thought.  I have not tried it)

So far, CZ Custom has worked on my 75B and  97B (I bought the 97B there - saving the major part of the shipping cost). But I did not send my CZ70 to them.  A local gunsmith worked on it because the gun is one of my "back-up" guns.

If the SP-01 is your "primary" gun (or one of them), it may be worth the expense.  Then you can judge the quality of their work (does that justify the cost?) and compare to a service you can acquire locally.

Have fun.

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 04:40:08 AM »
Glad this turned out well for you. I've had some experience with some of Angus' work recently, and I honestly can say it was top notch. When I got my SP-01, I wasn't able to afford to send it off for work at the custom shop.  :sad:  However, I did order the Comp trigger, and some springs from them and did the work myself. Ghostwarrior and I measured the trigger pull today at 8lbs DA and 4lbs SA. I need to get an adjustable trigger for it so the takeup isn't so long. I've just sort of trained myself to hold the trigger in after firing until I can feel the reset catch, and it runs faster than a sewing machine.

Powerpuff boy

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 03:27:09 PM »
Thank you!   4lbs SA and 8lbs DA sound just about right, though.      I love a very light trigger.  But in a real (and tense) situation,  I am not sure if I can control it.    With 4.0-4.5lbs SA,, I bet you would not need to worry about the possibility of an accidental discharge so much.   
And I am very envious of your 8lbs DA.   Mine is set around 8.9lbs.   It is eminently usable.  But 8.0lbs pull is even better, I think.     

If you can use your SP-01 like a sawing machine, do you really need an adjustable trigger? :cheesy:

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 05:59:21 AM »
I'd say yes, because if I can make it faster by not having to concentrate on the trigger reset position, then that is a great help. Especially when competeing. Of course GM4469 posted that short reset trigger system topic, so I may just do that.

Steve H.

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 04:07:45 PM »
My experience with CZ Custom was TOP NOTCH. I worked with Stewart (GM4469), he walked me thru it all. Answered all my questions. And, being a Newbie, it was very thoughtful of him.. Thank you, Stewart..
The only correction to above posts:  Ship Fed Ex at their main depot, with 2 day shipping: Charge is $40.00 with no extra forms (it takes 5 minutes). Kinko Stinks!!!
Knowledgeable & helpful FED EX in SC.

My CZ 75 now has 8.1oz. lb. DA / 3 lb. SA...(doing ten fold better with scores) I will be carrying CZ one in chamber with safety on (no cocked n locked). G-D forbid I'll ever need to use pistol. It will take just a little longer to release safety But I think that best, Rather than asking for bullet back.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:25:51 AM by Steve H. »

Offline PJM

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 11:14:17 PM »
Excellent post by Powerpuff.

I just had a NIB 75b SS Matte mailed to me from Texas via USPS Priority Flat Rate mail. Mailing was dirt cheap.  Perhaps the shipper had special licensing allowing him to use USPS...but worth checking into.

PattonWasRight

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 07:53:39 AM »
Powerpuff ... if you're still around, let us know what you think of the fit & function of the Kadet kit. Props for a great write up.