Author Topic: CC tomorrow  (Read 70698 times)

b5.5dan

Re: CC tomorrow
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2011, 11:25:02 PM »
No problem. This may sound a bit silly but I'm just happy to know enough to be able to help!  :laugh:
Your 75B does have the half cock safety. It will serve you well, no matter how you decide to carry. In my first month of CC I carried with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. It seemed OK to me. But by and by I had people convince me that Murphy's Law does apply, and since they are designed to carry C1, might as well go for it. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that "I trained" at anything, but after carrying for a while and spending a crap-ton of time shooting, I have absolute faith in everything about my CZ firearms working precisely the way they are supposed to, every time.

Disclaimer: I don't shoot as much as GW, AVM, or probably most others here, but everyone at the local range knows my name, when my B-Day is, and that I only fear my wife a little bit. They also know to show me every CZ that comes in, and I'm starting to get random 15% off prices on stuff I buy...  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

amryan11

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2011, 11:29:21 PM »
Yeah, I 2nd Murphy's Law.
15% off... I need to get to know people at my local gun stores better  :tongue:
I'm in there enough I just never can afford to buy anything so I'm probably not as interesting... My future father in law is always finding deals on guns and selling them for profit so he always has this spare cash to buy just about any gun he wants... super jealous, but I don't know enough to spot deals like he does... plus I doubt I have the same knack for it anyway!
Unfortunately I don't see that many CZs anywhere, though there are a few at the store I go to.

b5.5dan

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2011, 12:41:51 AM »
Awesomely enough, Angus Hobdel did some exhibition shooting at my local range a few years back. That and the owner is a huge dangerous African Game hunter. As far as that goes, he needs quality and knows CZs are it. Even at that, several of the employees don't know CZs (1911s are the only guns out there, right?  :angry: ), but the store ALWAYS has 5 in stock. They have a limited edition right now that's way out of my price range, but I can count on there always being something.

By the way, I sold another CZ for them yesterday. An $800 shotgun. They need to hire me on! haha!

james

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2011, 01:40:56 PM »
Hijack!

@Logan: Hey I was wondering about that Harwell holster.  The issue I have with concealment and the 75B is mainly the grip length.  I'm a little skinny compared to some and my body doesn't have a whole lot of girth to put the pistol next to if you know what I mean.  Just wondering how the holster sits and how well it pulls to the body.  The holster is a reasonable price and I almost ordered it last night...

End Hijack!

Now, back to your originally scheduled broadcast.

I am still fairly new to CCW (2 months now) and I am definitely becoming more comfortable with it.  It is funny how you feel like you're being watched or like someone said "being made"  :laugh: Now it isn't really as much of a problem.  I check my pistol's position in private areas (in the car before going in the store or in the bathroom of the store) and then don't re-adjust or check anymore. 

It will get more natural.  Truth be told mild printing of your pistol will 99% of the time be disregarded by others as a cellphone clip or a multi-tool on your belt if anyone even puts that much though into it.  Most important thing is be you, be confident, and be polite.  It's easy to spot people that are nervous or look like they are hiding something.  So don't think of it like that.  I get more self conscious wearing my cowboy hat in public than I do with CCW-ing now lol

b5.5dan

« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2011, 11:17:06 PM »
And if you are acting nervous and you ARE made, chances are you will soon be explaining your situation to your local LEOs.  :shocked: :laugh: :laugh:
I'm having a really hard time finding something that adequately conceals my 75 or my SP-01. I have some nice holsters, but they all show a little more than I would like. I guess that's the price of having an oddly-shaped (and somewhat fat) body...

james

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2011, 01:33:46 AM »
Yeah, there are bigger guns, but the CZ75 is quite large for concealment.  I know people do it and that it can be done, but I haven't figured it out yet...  At least not to my satisfaction.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2011, 08:56:23 AM »
            Vest, if there is any way at all to justify wearing a vest or a loose cut Sport coat then you should be covered, (pun intended. I have Eddie Bauer, Orvis, a nice plain black leather vest Also 5.11 and a 24.7 and a loose fitting sport coat that I have not gotten to wear in the last few years dam it to hell. A great many folks can justify a vest of some sort, especially if you are an engineer, IT of any kind at all, Dock worker, shipping/warehouse worker, If you work in an office then a nice decent non-biker Loose Leather vest should work just fine. When you buy a new suite from now on, if it's one that gets fitted then tell the Tailor that you carry and would they please left the jacket out a bit or whatever they need to to help conceal your weapon. I flat out, no hesitation say that you will NOT be the first person the Tailor ever heard that request from. Well unless it's their very first day on the job, and the guy teaching them how to be a tailor hasn't gotten around to having a customer order one yet. I have gone into Men's Warehouse, Saks, Brooks Brothers (that guy actually blinked but didn't say anything) And said that very same request. Nobody cared in the least.

Oh and back in the day (way ancient history) the Chinese Tailor in Hong Kong that I had 3 suits made. He not only didn't blink,  he said he allready knew I carrying and please step into the back so he could measure me with the holster on and asked if I ever wore a shoulder holster. I said yes he said bring it next time I came in for a fitting and he would take new measurements for that. I do so love Hong Kong. Damn near nothing will even get most merchants there to even raise an eyebrow. And they keep your measurements on file forever. You can call or write and order another suit, they ask any change in body weight and if so where, and after they have that answer you get your suit 2 or 3 weeks latter fits like you were there again. and about half the price and twice the quality of most men's suites short of Italy or England.

OK back to the point. Which is, find something loose that you can justify wearing pretty much anywhere at all, even if you have to get a different one for out shopping and one for work, what ever. Set your the leading edge of your holster just to the front of your pelvic bone, Hopefully not particular close to your pocket and either use a IWB holster or an OWB that has the belt go through the loops crosses IN FRONT of the holster and then buckle it tight enough that your pistol snugs up close as possible to your side with out making your pants bunch anywhere. OH one last thing Baggy Sweat shirts work very well just less justification to have them at work or out to dinner. Coaches jackets are also great, Heck anything bulky is going to go a long way to concealing your weapon. The trick is having a reasonable reason to have what ever you pick on unless you are at home or with friends that carry and it's a BBQ. Actually for the record I have a Black 5.11 Vest that has CZ, Dan Wesson, 2nd Admendant, NRA and a couple other patches that I wear daily and not a single person that would concern me ever gave me a second glance. And if that vest isn't a giant walking sign that I am armed or more than likely armed then I have no idea what could be more obvious than open carry (and IMHO, if OC is legal where you live I would never on my worst day actually open carry unless I was first responder to a crash or disaster.)
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2011, 06:27:59 PM »
I'm carrying a CZ 75B everyday around the house and out for my usual errands. This time of the year, a sweatshirt is fine to keep warm and for CC. It doesn't work when I take the wife out for the evening or at church. It's just to bigg for those clothes, which are more form fitting.  I need a RAMI! or maybe a Kahr CW9.

The gun show comes to Asheville January 7th. I'll be looking.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2011, 08:47:24 PM »
             NO worries I understand. which is why I suggested finding a loose Sport coat. Most anyone I have met including myself have suites cut ans sewn specifically for our primary CC. But there is nothing at all wrong with having a nice comfortable JC Penny Sport coat with a nice generous cut and no or not much taper at the waist. I have a brown check one and a two tone grey Western cut to cover those situations.

But what I like an know has not one thing to do with what works for you. You didn't spend most of your life looking over your shoulder and at everything in any room you ever entered. or any jungle for that matter. Personally I think you have the better deal. So get what ever pistol YOU feel best about, and what ever cover for it you perfer. You really can't just suddenly go from once dress style to another and not get comments. you need to work everything into place a little at a time so no one really notices.

The other thing you have got to do ,and this is the most important thing of all. And that's going to the range as often and as much as possible wearing exactly what you would on a daily basis, and practice clearing your weapon from concealment and shooting accurately. I promise you it is not as easy as it sounds. Just make sure the weapon is empty before you start practicing drawing it and firing. Ask any Instructor anywhere that's worth his salt and he or she will tell you the exact same thing. In a crisis situation, you go into tunnel vision and fine motor skills take the day off. You need to work on drawing and firing until it's an inbreed muscle memory.

Anyway that's all I wanted to say. Get the pistol you feel most comforttable carrying concealed and then work on your wardrobe one thing at a time. And above all else practice, practice, practice. at home for a while then at the range.
          Civilians and Leo's and Military people all have a very different way of looking at concealed carry. Not anything anyone can do about that. Just keep inmind a couple of the things I have mentioned and you will do ok. Just practice
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2011, 09:55:06 PM »
I've seen several guys who wear shoulder rigs under dress shirts. They just leave a button undone thats level with how they draw. Throw a tie over it and you have CC for church. LOL! Just don't wear a white shirt. I've done that a time or two. If you get an under shirt thats the same color as your over shirt, then people will rarely notice. Even done it a time or two with Dickie's work shirts. That way you can tuck or leave it hanging. Dickies are great for IWB CC and Shoulder rigs, as well as seeming mildly "dressy". As for my daily carry, its my SP-01. Thats a big honking gun to try to conceal, but then again, I'm a big guy. I can wear mine comfortable at the back side of my front jeans pocket, leave my shirt tail out and my love handles conceal it nicely.LOL!

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »
Going to the range is the most fun I have all week. :laugh:

Roadking Rider

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2012, 12:08:53 PM »
JMHO I love my CZ75B it's one of my favorite pistols, but as an all day CC piece IMO it's to big and uncomfortable. I live a pretty active lifestyle and carrying a gun that hinders my lifestyle does not get carried for long periods of time. I like my CC gun to be something I do not have to dress around, or that is on the heavy side. My EDC is a PM9 I wear it on my hip in the summer months and in a jacket pocket in the winter. I do carry my CZ at times but it's usually on short trips.
In the begining your going to fell like everyone is looking at you because your gun will feel twice as big as it is and has a neon sign pointing straight at it. If you get the right gun and holster after a while you'll forget at times that you have it on you.  Good luck
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 12:13:17 PM by Roadking Rider »

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »
I agree, Roadking.

I've only been carrying a short time, and I love my CZ75B, but like you said, "I like my CC gun to be something I do not have to dress around."

The PM9 looks too small to hold comfortably, which is why I listed a CW9 as a CC option, but I'll be shopping next weekend and hopefully will get to try it.

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2012, 06:42:09 PM »
I dont use anything more than a loose shirt tail to conceal, and 99.9% of people just dont notice. They're too worried about their cell phone, or other things to even pay attention to my waist line. These days everyone has their head in their butt, so sometimes I don't even bother to conceal.

james

« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2012, 11:58:16 PM »
Now concerning the "hammer down on a loaded chamber".  Unless I'm mistaken all CZ75B's after the pre-ban models have a firing pin safety which means that the firing pin is blocked unless the trigger has been pulled all the way back.  I could be wrong, but I don't think so.  If you take the NRA Basic Pistol Course (required in Colorado to get a CCW) it states that ALL mechanical safeties can fail; just like any other mechanical device.  That being said, hammer down on a live round with a POST pre-ban CZ75B should not be unsafe and even if the hammer is pulled back before the half cock and released it should NOT be able to fire a round.  If I am wrong I would certainly appreciate being corrected.

On another note: I would love to carry my 75 so long as I can conceal it fairly well.  I took Logan's advice and just now ordered a Pro-Tuck Comfort Grip holster and if anyone is interested I was thinking of doing a short video review/demo for you guys to see how it works/conceals.  I'm not trying to promote anything, just for the sake of our knowledge on this board.  I have gained a few pounds of late which I plan to work off, but I am still a pretty tall and thin guy so if it conceals for me, it should for most of you.  If you all are interested I'll put a short video together for you guys/gals.  Let me know - if I don't just force it upon you muahaha.