Author Topic: Abnormally high feed failures in first use  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Todd9

Abnormally high feed failures in first use
« on: February 17, 2018, 12:24:00 PM »
Hi All,
  I recently purchased a CZ 75 SP-01 in 9mm.  I love it.  It’s the perfect weight, and the quality of manufacturing harkens back to the early days of firearm manufacturing before polymer was all the rage.   

I took it to the range and fired 250 rounds through it.  Of those 250 rounds, I have 14 feed failures. That’s a 5.6% failure rate, which seems very high.  It usually seemed to be after 5 or more rounds were fired from the mag.  I was shooting the following.

Remington UMC 115gr
Remington UMC 145gr

In all feed failures, the round came out of the mag, but ultimately jammed facing upward (slug towards the ceiling).  In all cases I dropped the mag, cleared the jamb, and inspected the failed round. I then put the failed round back into the mag, which then chambered and fired successfully.  I’ve not had any issues with this ammo in my Glock or Springfield. So, I’m looking for help diagnosing the cause. 

1) shooter error on my part: While I don’t believe my left thumb was riding up to make contact with the slide as it cycles, I can’t rule it out as a possibility.   I tried shooting with a “thumbs down” grip to eliminate this as the cause and still had the feeding issue. Therefore I don’t believe this is the case.

2) when I disassembled to clean after the range,  the polymer guide rod has a 3-4 degree bend in it.  Is this normal?

3) my mags seem to have less pressure than mags of other manufacturers.   I.E. the pressure exerted by the spring seems less than Springfield or Glock.  Has anyone else noticed this? 

Thanks,
Todd

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: Abnormally high feed failures in first use
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 02:46:57 PM »
The polymer guide rods seem to work even distorted.  I had a problem on a 75B that seemed a lot like your failures.  The solution was to shape and polish the extractor.  When the cartridge was feeding it stopped as the extractor engaged the groove (rim).  Pushing the rear of the slide often cleared the jam.  You might want to try some different ammo and see if that cures the problem before you start taking the extractor out of the gun.

Offline MedicRijos

• CZForum.com Shooting Team member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 01:41:42 PM »
try maybe a stainless steel guiderod?
YouTube: Rafy Rijos
Facebook: Rafy Rijos

Offline Pukka Sahib

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 01:34:07 PM »
I'd send it back. The CZ customer service is good, and you shouldn't have to tinker with a new weapon. They'll either ifx it, or maybe even swap it out.

Offline Mifune326

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 09:31:48 AM »
I just had a similar problem with my P-09.  I sent the pistol back to CZ.  They polished the feed ramp and adjusted the extractor.  Runs like a dream now.  CZ-USA customer service is great.