Author Topic: smithing  (Read 15832 times)

Offline vanman

smithing
« on: March 07, 2017, 10:58:44 PM »
For gunsmiths and gunsmithing operations.
 When I was a young teen the fascination for my fathers pocket colt was irresistable. Once apart I couldn't figure the barrel reassembly sequence. Wish computers and sites such as this were available!
 My question today ... has anyone any bench experience replacing oem sights on a 75 compact with mepro lights?
 My first CZ. Thanks All

Offline frgood

Re: smithing
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 03:43:14 AM »
While I have not fiddled with my Compact specifically, I have done my CZ 87, TS, and 83. It is an easy job.  The several Youtube videos are helpful. It is basically,
Front Sight - Take out the pin and gently tap the sight forward and out.
Rear Sight - Using a non marring pin, Plastic tipped, brass, or even a pusher, tap out the rear sight.

The rear might take some hefty whacks to get started and, perhaps someone here can clarify if, a left to right direction is required.

I strongly recommend a Sootch00 subscription. He is a big CZ fan and his care shows in his work.

https://youtu.be/__aMedlngX4 - Link to replacing sights on CZ 75 Compact.

Enjoy.

Offline vanman

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 07:44:17 AM »
Thanks frgood.

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 07:51:50 AM »
I replaced the sight on my compact so long ago that I don't remember what the originals looked like.  FRGood pretty well covered the replacement.  The front sight makes the biggest difference.  I like the 1.5mm rod because it fills the rear notch better than the 1.0mm rod.  The fiber optic rear sight did not make much difference, but I left it on the gun.

Offline vanman

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 10:57:52 AM »
Thanks Rodolfo.

Offline raytracer

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 07:27:39 PM »
I prefer a sight pusher to drifting it with a punch - especially with tritium sights. I might just be a worry wort though.

I used to have a LGS that would put sights in for $20 or so, as long as no milling was required. Usually, you could even drop it off in the morning and pick it up same day. Interestingly enough, it was when I got my compact a few years ago; I took it in with a set of Mepros and was told it would be $75 and give it a week or two. I decided that was all the excuse I needed to buy a sight pusher and never looked back.

Offline vanman

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 08:18:12 PM »
 Ray, maybe you were his first CZ sight job and he didn't have the dedicated tool for the job? Some are quite expensive. Have you changed any cz sights yet? Any tips should I get a pusher?

Offline raytracer

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 09:40:47 PM »
Nope. It would have been the 3rd or 4th CZ I had them swap sights on. They just hadn't heard the parable of the monkey with a fistful of nuts in a jar.

I got a universal sight pusher made by one of the guys on one of the forums. That narrows it down a bit, huh? I think it was the Ruger forum, and I think he sells them on ebay. I think it may be this one, it definitely looks just like it. There are a bunch to choose from nowadays.

I've done several CZs now, the biggest tip I can give you is to tape the crap out of your slide where it comes in contact so you don't scratch it. And, as always, take your time and go slow. Everytime I've boogered something up, I've been in a hurry.

Good luck!

Offline vanman

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 10:11:05 PM »
Thanks