(1/3) > >>

Steve H.:
Guns & Ammo - By: James Tar
    Lite Trigger Concealed Carry Gun have a Light Trigger

http://www.handgunsmag.com/2013/06/06/light-trigger-concealed-carry-gun/

CZJoe:
Good read!

jertex:
Even though it's an old post, I'm glad you brought it back to the top of the list. It is an interesting read, the comments were interesting as well. The solution to the lawyer's argument of modifying your glock trigger is don't rely on a sorry glock trigger.

Get a nice CZ or a Walther PPQ or even a Canik TP9, any version, for that matter and you'll have a much better trigger, straight from the factory with no modifications. Even better, get a CZ Custom shop and it's an amazing trigger, still technically from CZ, designated as a "carry" package designed for self defense. Then you're golden against any such silly claims. I'm for any edge I can get over an assailant. I'm 54 with bad knees and bad back from tearing up my body over the years. I need every advantage I can get over a 28 year old determined to cause fatal bodily harm to me or my loved ones.

frgood:
In keeping with keeping this topic rolling, I am not inclined not to follow the authors conclusion. Albeit, I am hard pressed to find a solid take away.

The initial premise is that the 'light trigger carry gun' debate is confused with idiom and little facts. He then proceeds to present a series of questions and scenarios and hints at a conclusion he would like you (the reader) to draw.

Here is a fact for research How many Prosecutors used the 'custom trigger job' to impeach a self defense defendant?

I can only attest to personal experience but working with a 1 3/4# trigger, I have fired prematurely under pressure.
I can only attest to personal experience that the heavier 12+# DA trigger of my CZ 85 causes me to slow my initial shot by about .5 - 1 second to load up the trigger while getting better accuracy (due to the fact I may pull or push).
I can only attest to personal experience that my EDC SIG P250SC DAO got significantly easier to operate during it initialization where I fired 2000 rounds over three months. My finger strength became stronger and more controlled with practice.

Given these personal facts, I have made the following life conclusions;
I see no need to give the prosecution any additional ammunition in court. Particularly when considering the risk reward of a light trigger bears no significant benefit.
even a 12# trigger can be usable with practice and practice we should!

To extrapolate to a larger audience, Why change? What solid reason does a person need to do a custom trigger job when the machine functions as designed and the skill of the person is at question.  If a 5, 7, 8, 10 lbs. trigger is too difficult to manipulate under stress, then this might not be the safest choice of a self defense tool.

What say y'all? - Here is some fodder.

jertex:

--- Quote from: frgood on March 29, 2016, 09:53:02 AM --- I can only attest to personal experience but working with a 1 3/4# trigger, I have fired prematurely under pressure.

...I can only attest to personal experience that my EDC SIG P250SC DAO got significantly easier to operate during it initialization where I fired 2000 rounds over three months. My finger strength became stronger and more controlled with practice.

Given these personal facts, I have made the following life conclusions;
I see no need to give the prosecution any additional ammunition in court. Particularly when considering the risk reward of a light trigger bears no significant benefit. even a 12# trigger can be usable with practice and practice we should!

To extrapolate to a larger audience, Why change? What solid reason does a person need to do a custom trigger job when the machine functions as designed and the skill of the person is at question.  If a 5, 7, 8, 10 lbs. trigger is too difficult to manipulate under stress, then this might not be the safest choice of a self defense tool.

What say y'all? - Here is some fodder.

--- End quote ---

Given your argument, if practice makes you safe & proficient with a 12# trigger, then by the same token, practice will make you safe & proficient with the 1&3/4# trigger and I would suggest that if you have prematurely fired the lighter trigger under pressure then you weren't using safe and proper trigger technique and, with more practice/training, that problem would be solved.

Of course, the reality is that I would never suggest someone use a 1&3/4# trigger because you can practice till the cows come home and it will not give you the same experience as being under duress during an actual self defense/live shooter scenario. I would also suggest, as already stated in my previous post that under actual duress, you won't shoot that 12# trigger as proficiently as a lighter trigger, so I would suggest that there should be a balance like what I suggested above, a gun with a very good, factory trigger.

While everyone should practice/train with the gun that they carry on a regular basis, access to training varies by job/family requirements, financial limitations, etc. etc. Given your premise, if they aren't able to train enough where they are confident with a 12# trigger then it seems that you you're saying they shouldn't exercise their 2nd amendment right to bear arms. If that is indeed your conclusion, I would heartily disagree and say that this sounds very much like something that would come from the anti-2nd amendment crowd.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version