Firearms and Gear > Product Testing & Accessory Reviews

Ballastics test on the CZ Shadow Custom Compentition

(1/3) > >>

GhostWarrior:
I took all my gear out to the range this Saturday and set everything up, the Target, the Oehler Chronograph, my field desk hooded everything up and with the help of a friend put 5 rounds only through my Competition from 8 Different Ammunition Companies. This is in the order I shot them and you will notice one of the results only has 4 results. Well that was from a freak flier and not my aiming ability. And yes I wounded the Chronograph, I am happy to say that even though gravely injured the third Senor gamely carried on for the rest of the day, but I am saddened to say it succumbed to it's injury and will be replaced by another victim, mmmm I mean sensor shortly. Ballistics Range report for Saturday 26 March 2011Ammunition MFGDescriptionVelocities' Average Difference in fpsAveraged SpeedBlazerLuger 147 Gr. TmJ1512107146314111405149414961479MagtechLuger 124 Gr.FMJ (9B)10591212221056104814601050American EagleLuger 124 Gr.FMJ 11952112011193120312041214Winchester RangerNATO 124 Gr. FMJ13252313371348133313351343(Speer) LawmanLuger 124 GR TMJ12543812551236127412501260FiocchiLuger 124 Gr. JHP1202121204119812101204Cor Bon    (only 20 rounds per box)Luger  P 90 gr. JHPThis is going to have to be retested, I got one reading out of 5 No idea what happened. Product says on the box that it has 1500fps energy of 450ft LbsSpeer        Gold Dot   (only 20 rends per box)Luger 124 Gr. GDHP1236161246125212471252Please keep in mind that this is the first time in years I have even tried to keep records like this let allow share the results. I freely admit I am rusty but I will continue to try to put out as much information as I can concerning CZ's.

Angryvikingman:
WHAT?!? NO WWB?!? LOL! Thanks for that. Seems like Blazer and Win Rangers are better ballistically.

GhostWarrior:
      This is going to be an ongoing project, and not only am I going to try the same ammo in all my pistols and post the information, but as I get different ammo I will do the same tests one each weapon. That was originally done on an excel spreadsheet so I could share it and let others add to it if they have the equipment and want to add to the base. But I don't know why it came out the way it, I wanted to use Excel so I could share it, and because it was easy to alphabetize so there won't be any duplicates, I could really use someone that had a clue how to make my idea work.
     I really had no idea how much time and money it was going to take to make this a world class Forum. But I sure am going to try. BTW for the Record everything I have done so far has been with my own money at retail, No ones given me anything to use for any part of this forum with the exception of the vender's filling out the Excel spread sheet. Well the only one so far.     
      I don't know of a chart that lists guns to holsters which is going up slowly but it is going up, The same sort of list of grips makers to pistols, Nor do I know of any forum that uses calendars and events for All (or at least as many as I could find or know about) Shooting Organizations, and National and International Competition.      
     As for the pictures well I forgot the camera at home, seriously I forgot the damn thing. However truth be told the testing was done freehand and not bench rested so the target was at 25 yards and basically just an aiming point I could barely see. Trust me even if I had the cam there is no way I would print them here. ROFL.

DeeDubya:
GW,

I guess you know that the Oehler 35P had been discontinued and then a "special run" was supposed to be available last summer? Anyway, if you shot one of the vanes you might want to get a replacement or two before they're no longer available. I've enjoyed my Oehler for about 15 years now and chronograph just about everything, even pellet guns. Have you had the inherent problem of muzzle blast velocity? If your SD "Standard Deviation" is too wide then your first skyscreen might be picking up the velocity of the muzzle blast, not the bullet. A simple way to make sure it doesn't happen is to cut a sheet of plywood (wafer wood is cheaper) lengthwise, support the two pieces vertically and leave a 10" crack between them. Shoot through the crack and the muzzle blast will be attenuated by the plywood.

I've always wanted a Ransom Deluxe Series Rest. I'm sure that I'm not up to the accuracy potential of any of my handguns. Grip inserts are a little pricey though. Like the the CZ75 runs about $55. I think it would be awesome to parallel the accuracy with the ballistics. Some interesting data should result.

[attachment deleted by admin]

DeeDubya:
Chronographing can burn up a lot of time as well as ammo. I found a number of ways to help shorten set-up time and logging data. First my sky screens (3 with Oehler 35P) are locked down on a conduit (1/2" EMT) so that I don't have to put them on each time. I have the cables tie wrapped to the conduit and the leads are bundled and tie wrapped to make set-up quick and easy.

I use 8.5"x11" targets that have a place to write all the load details. When I finish a shot string (group) I will place the target and the 35P printer tape on a copier so that the tape is in a corner of the target, holepunch th copy and place it in a binder. This way I have the target (group), load details and the chronograph printout together.

The only small problem is that when you copy a target, the edges of the bullet holes are hard to see, so take group measurements before you copy and write them on the target too. On some I will punch the original target too and put it behind the copy.

For those who aren't familiar with the Oehler 35P, the pdf below shows typical printer tapes from a session. Notice that each shot has 2 velocities. The 35P actually takes 2 readings, (hence 3 screens instead of just 2) to compensate for any discrepancies and then shows (+ the highest velocity), (- the lowest velocity), (E extreme spread), (M mean and S standard deviation). It is important that you are precise in attaching the sky screens and avoiding muzzle blast which can create a false velocity.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version