Author Topic: Submarines once, Submarines twice...  (Read 5593 times)

bigborephil

Submarines once, Submarines twice...
« on: December 06, 2011, 10:41:16 PM »
Im active duty Navy on a submarine in WA state. This is my third boat, all west coast.  Not all fun but pays the bills and I hope I am making some difference. 

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Submarines once, Submarines twice...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 09:43:19 AM »
        Another Squid! And a Sardine at that! I'm starting to feel very very lonely here in my nice comfy fox hole.  :grin: Welcome to the Forum! We are happy to have you, and we also Thank You for your service to our Country. Just getting me on a boat/ship/tincan/and or Carrier is pretty much an act of Congress. I have also been in side a Sub once or twice for various reasons and I'm telling you if I never ever do that again in this life time or the next it will be to soon. I have NO clue how you folks, ALL you Navy folks do it, I really don't. But you people on the subs just plain scare me. Do they Allways creek and groan like that? And as for the sleeping arraignments I used the deck because the bunk felt like it was 6 inch's wide and I figure if I was going to fall out of it then I might as well start on the deck. I swear if I ever get to meet anyone that ever wrote a script about Submarine in it, and or the guy that filmed it, I am going to beat them severly about the head and shoulders. The only thing I have seen them get right is the food is really good, or I got lucky twice.  :laugh:

You are doing one heck of a job as are all our Military Personal. Thank you so very much for your service, and the sacrifices you have to make to defend our way or life. Welcome again the the forum and I hope you have as much fun here as the rest of our members.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

bigborephil

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 11:08:05 PM »
The old diesels creak but the "modern" ones dont creak.  They are over engneered and carefully regulated.  The racks are small but you find a way to sleep.  It is the showers that I hate.  You are always touching some wall.  I am on a Ohio class now so there is a lot more room than the other classes.  Not a surface ship, though.

JoeInCT

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 09:32:40 AM »
BigBorePhil:

Thank you for your service. Although I am Army, I have great respect for my fellow veterans who go down to the sea in ships, and even more so for those of you who go under the sea. I live not far from New London, and my Dad, a WW2 Aviation Engineer GI, spent a good portion of his early years growing up there.

Besides, we both salute the same flag, and swore allegiance to the same country, and the only thing between us is different colors of the uniforms worn by the academy teams. I have read, with great pride, about the individual stories and the overall evidence that our sub force always outclassed the Red sub force during the period of time World History will forever call the Cold War, and I congratulate your and your submates, present and past, for a job well done..

When the youngest of my three children, Lisa, was a babe in arms in 1988, I took my family for a tour of the WW2 class sub on display at New London. She was silent during the entire walk through the ship. My oldest daughter, Julie, was about 11, and she walked through the sub in what appeared to be a state of disbelief. My son, Joseph Michael ("Jay"), was about 8, and he kept asking in disbelief, "Daddy, men went to war in ships like this?". And for the one and only time in our relationship, my (eventual ex-)wife was silent for a solid 30 minutes. Needless to say, they were astonished at the conditions which the WW2 submariners endured. And they were silent again when I told them that almost 50 submarines never returned, and that the 4,000 men who were in them were on perpetual patrol.

Again, thank you for your service, and that of your family.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 02:00:12 PM »
          Oh ya I forgot I took a tour of the Battleship and submarine they have at Mobile Bay, and I will never ever believe another Navy movie especially the ones about WWII and so on. All those guys running past each other. and scurrying about. The boat I was in would have been a tight squeeze for a herd of gophers, let alone human beings! An the shots in the mess where the entire crew is eating together? Ya right. Almost wish I hadn't taken the tour, The Battle Ship was no suprise cramped as heck but I all ready knew that so I allways took the scene on those with a grain of salt. But DAMN! that sub was SMALL. And even the word cramped implies there is/was some room to move about.

I honestly don't know who I admire more or think is crazy as hell, Tunnel Rats, or Submariners.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 02:12:43 PM by GhostWarrior »
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Birds Away

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 02:03:46 PM »
As for the guys squeezing past each other, that's why if you are going up or forward you use the starboard side and if you are going down or aft you use the port side.  That, of course, is for GQ only.  Makes everything much easier.