Shooter's Corner (Ask the Pros) > Improve your skills

shooting alone vs with partner

<< < (2/2)

Dvrdwn72:
I am fortunately in a good position as far as having a place to shoot.
Having a 6 action bays to use whenever I need. With that said it's nice to have someone that's close to your level to train with, that buddy also pushes you and helps correct any flaws you may have developed.

slingshots:
I agree with the thoughts about both. When you're training with someone who is at of above your skill level, they have the context of what you skill(s) you are executing and are in a position to see small nuances otherwise unavailable from things like third person video. It's those small things spotted real-time that are gold for when it comes to what's needed to improve. Plus having a partner makes for faster pasting, set-up, etc. that enables you to shoot with less down time between strings, furthering your learning because you more readily recall what your mental experience was from one string to the next. Shooting alone has it's value as well when you are working a specific skill, know the mechanics you are trying to perfect, and don't have the "distraction" of having to interact with someone else during that time. My $0.02 anyway.

frgood:

--- Quote from: slingshots on February 13, 2018, 10:57:53 AM ---I agree with the thoughts about both. When you're training with someone who is at of above your skill level, they have the context of what you skill(s) you are executing and are in a position to see small nuances otherwise unavailable from things like third person video. It's those small things spotted real-time that are gold for when it comes to what's needed to improve. Plus having a partner makes for faster pasting, set-up, etc. that enables you to shoot with less down time between strings, furthering your learning because you more readily recall what your mental experience was from one string to the next. Shooting alone has it's value as well when you are working a specific skill, know the mechanics you are trying to perfect, and don't have the "distraction" of having to interact with someone else during that time. My $0.02 anyway.

--- End quote ---

I fully agree. It is invaluable to me to have an outside educated eye point out issues. Also, the friend dynamic can provide a little impetus to drive harder during your drills. YOu can then walk away with an improved guide for private training/ drills.

J Mercurio:
Depending on what I am working on, I can easily practice on my own and be effective.  However, I like training with a partner who will not only push me but will watch me and provide feedback.

IDPASUX:
Typically, I go out with a buddy who is at my level. Mostly we do that because the range has a two person requirement. But we have helped each other out. If he's not there, I will take video of my practice runs to take back home and analyze. That's been really effective for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version