Author Topic: Heavy barrel/iron sights  (Read 4586 times)

wscrst

Heavy barrel/iron sights
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:32:03 PM »
I am new to rifles.  Please educate me.  Why does every version of a rimfire rifle that is described as a "heavy barrel" have no sights?  Why can't I get a 455 Varmint with the sights that are on the lux?  I contacted CZ custom and they pretty much just blew me off and told me to get the lux.  What part of the benefits of a heavy barrel and its link to a scope am I missing?  I want something that is better than the 455 FS that my dad just got but I do not want to triple of quadruple the price to move to an Anschutz.  Thanks for any education or advice. 

wscrst

Re: Heavy barrel/iron sights
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:53:20 PM »
Here is a  nice reply from another forum:  "The problem with putting a CZ style iron sights on a CZ varmint rifle is that CZ would have to drop down the heel of the stock to effectively use the CZ style iron sights.  The problem with dropping down the heel of the stock. Is that the proper cheek weld will be screwed up for using with a scope."

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
Re: Heavy barrel/iron sights
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »
Nice theory but, with all due respect, the last time I looked, the 452 varmint model had suitable drop at heel and suitable pitch for positional shooting, i.e. practical hunting and target or as the Germans say JagdMatch use. In any case, all you need to do is find someone who chopped off the foresight when fitting a silencer, in order to get a foresight setup and you are much better off with a receiver mounted backsight for (.22 rf) hunting purposes.

If you go that way ... please let us know how you get on and show us a picture or two.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.