Author Topic: Armalite M15 Service Model  (Read 9496 times)

american lockpicker

Armalite M15 Service Model
« on: September 08, 2011, 01:07:26 PM »
I picked up this gun a few weeks ago.

Heres some ammo I got for it.

Now I just need an Ontario M9 bayo and BetaC drum. :)

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Armalite M15 Service Model
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 09:34:47 PM »
Very Shiny! I want one of the Armalites they gave to Pilots back in the day for when they had to E &E if and when they humped the pouch. Or more to the point had it done for them. I thought it was a very clever 3 piece take down design.
Sorry didn't mean to take away from your post, I like it, nice pics, nice job on the ammo for it also. The only thing I have agaisnt any M16 clone is the loading assist lever. but thats another story for another day.
Let us know how she handles.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

american lockpicker

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 01:05:51 AM »
Really? I think its useful as the bolt doesn't close when you have to ride the bolt to close it.

Oh and are you refering to the AR7?

As I use to have one and it was the only gun I've had that was very unreliable.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
         Oh no kidding? the AR7 was not all that? Sorry to hear that, but what can you expect from a Mil Specked weapon? As for as the assist, well if you have to have a push rod to help seat the rnd then you have a weapon that is IMHO not well designed, built, or thought out. I know of guys that got hurt in firefights because they had to stop firing to use the push rod to finish feeding a rnd, and during a fire fight in the jungle or any where else not shooting at the bad guys lets they shoot more at you.   

And yes I KNOW there are a gazillion of the weapons out there and a gazillion folks love them more than their wives, and maybe their dog. I have my thoughts on the mater and so do you. And as long as we are both happy in what we think then who cares. Although I am sorry about that AR7 not working out. It seems like such a shiny idea. Never saw one of them myself, let alone handled one so I really had no idea,

Thanks of saying so. I'll save my money for another CZ  :grin:

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

american lockpicker

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 06:19:36 PM »
Never tried it with a round in the chamber(I'll test it next time I go shooting.)

Yea the AR7 is what seems like a cool idea but in reality the gun is very poorly made(plastic barrel, rough parts, ammo sensitive, etc.) Its like $200 new so if you want one just as a novelty your not out much.

american lockpicker

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 12:11:28 AM »
Got some more gear for it.

american lockpicker

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 12:14:32 AM »

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 01:45:22 PM »
         Very shiny stuff. I like the idea you can see your rounds without having to take the mag out. and nice job on finding that multi purpose knife. That whole barbed wired cutter arrangement is one of my all time favorite design idea for the field. You could round out the hole in the blade or the pin it was working with and sometimes it took some doing to get used to actually cut heavy wire, but I love those things anyway.

Oh and when I said the push rod was to help seat the rnd if it failed to chamber all the way, I meant that the rod was pushed against the bolt to make it finish seatting the rnd, not that the push round actually impacted the rnd in any way. Pretty sure you know this but I was rereading and something you said made me think I had miss stated my description.

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 04:31:06 PM »
american lockpicker

Nice toys. Getting ready for those Zombies ... ? See Hornady video.

GhostWarrior

As engineers we often purchased our own fencing pliers for easy carrying but always used original WWI wire cutting gear (still the best) for constructing and dismantling obstacles. We never (with all due respect) found any use for so-called wire-cutting bayonets but if it worked for you ... all is good.

A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

american lockpicker

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 06:33:55 PM »
Not for Zombies lol more for foreign invaders like the Chinese or Iranians. Also do you have pics of your old ww2 gear? I also have an interest in tools. I doubt I'll ever use the wire cutters on my bayo as I have a proper pair of German made Knipex mini bolt cutters.  :grin:

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 09:44:23 PM »
         I didn't say it was the end all. be all of wire cutters. I even said you could where them out and they was a pretty good learning curve in using them with out them twisting sideways or however you want to say the blades went to either side with the wire caught between them. I just said they were a cool idea and I always liked the "idea" of the concept. OK sorry I just reread what I typed and ya I forgot to mention it was the "idea" behind the design that always intrigued me. Anything that would cut down on things anyone has to carry all day is a good Idea. Just not always the Best idea.  :laugh:

I have wire cutters, about 3 different kinds including fence pliers. I love tools and I love Gadget Tools (OK OK Gadgets in general. ya got me) even more. Those just always tickled my fancy. Sorry for the confusion I caused. Sometimes I forget where I am while typing because I am thinking of stuff way faster than I type, so I mess up. i spleze even worser so ........................ :cool:

And if I am presuming correctly ZG47 were you a SeaBee?. oh ya and we are getting off topic here my bad.

Offline ZG47

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 10:50:40 PM »
1. NO pics but basic British Army WWI gear as used in WW2 and later, complete with web carrying pouches. If I can get a picture from one of my contacts I will send it to you sometime. They made so much gear for the Western Front (in 1917 especially) that some of it is still in use. The pioneer picks from WWI were attached to Bren carriers in WWII and we were still fixing them to Rovers in the 90s.

2. Sorry, wasn't trying to put you down. Lightweight gear is good when you have to carry everything on your back for days at a time. I was just pointing out that it was no use for our level of wirecutting tasks, which is why we tended to leave them in the Q store and I always forgot to suggest issuing them. We had cheaper and lighter tent pegs!

3. Sapper. "First in, last out" (unofficial motto).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:17:20 PM by ZG47 »

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 11:15:39 AM »
            Well OK then. You folks are stone cold nuts, not to mention you all have Big solid stainless steel ones, to do what you do under the conditions you do have to do them. The US Navy Seabees are like that, just I don't think they run explosives up to and or under stuff to make holes for the regular troops to get through. Other than that those guys are crazier than a latrine rat. Not in the Navy but most of my Family (OK 90% of my family were Navy) I was the bad seed. So. I have a working knowledge of what they did and do.

Your military is known for using and reusing and then reusing things until they disintegrate, and most of your vehicles are hell to ride in, Ugly as sin, but unlike most things they still work as long as you take care of them and have basic machine shop (or simply a really decent garage) and tools to take care of them. My company used to own a Saracen APC that was older than both my friend/boss/partner and I put together, and the seals leaked like sieves. But it was SOOOOOO much fun to drive around in. But Hell to fix.

And now we are totally off topic Sorry. But it's hard not to drift isn't it?.

So how's that new M15 and Accessories working out for you american lockpicker? Still not my cup o tea, but I sure as heck ain't gonna gainsay someone else's toys when I have different toys that some wouldn't use ever. To each his own and frankly truth be known I really do what to know how well it works, even if that bolt assist assembly offends my sense of design. It's how something works overall and consistently that counts and the whole thing has come light years from back when I was given its Originally designed POS Ancestor.

BTW here's a picture of the thing. NOT ours but the same model

And one last thing. if you are taller than say 5'8" to 5'10" and weigh more than say about 200 lbs or say 14 stone give or take you DO NOT want to get in this thing or at least ride in it ever. And forget driving it. You will not fit behind the wheel, and the APC Commanders seat as near as we could tell could only be used by either a Midget or a stone Masochist. It sits parrell and dead up against the emergency exit hatch and litterly when folded down to sit on had NO leg room, I'm not kidding here, I think the guy had to sit sideways on the seat and it was a metal butt formed seat so it had to be a night mare have to use at all let alone ride the APC.

Offline ZG47

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 07:42:49 PM »
Knipex is good gear, I use their nips for denailing weatherboard etc.

Our APCs were all M113s (almost as noisy as an Iroquois helicopter with that Detroit 2 stroke motor) now replaced by Swiss developed, North American made LAVs. NB Any turrethead over 5'8" deserves to get his head bumped.

By the way ... how many Humvees can you fit inside a U.S. transport helicopter? None?

I think that is one reason why, apart from lower fuel consumption, lower engine noise and easier tyre replacement in remote areas, U.S. special forces purchased Landrover Defenders after Desert Storm.

By the way, lockpicker, how are those Zombie silhouettes going for your practice shoots?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:47:25 PM by ZG47 »

american lockpicker

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 01:13:21 AM »
Don't worry about going off topic as this keeps getting more interesting with every post...  :wink:

Anyways I seem to remember one of my friends saying he was in Seebees(have to ask about that...)

British Army gear thats old sounds awesome(I know of a several hundred page thread on another forum just about tools from Europe and I would love to have pics for that.)  :grin:

Gadgets and gear is a hobby of mine maybe I should post more about it here...

No zombie targets(at least not yet lol) I've been using old cans of food as reactive targets....

M15 works flawlessly(I clean it occasionally and always keep it well oiled.) I prefer it over an AK47. The accessories all seem to work well except the sheath was defective...