Author Topic: CZ-Wanna'Be  (Read 3733 times)

jcash46835

CZ-Wanna'Be
« on: October 17, 2011, 07:21:44 AM »
Hello All, Jim from Indiana here!

I have been a wheel-gun kinda' guy for a long time, shooting Bullseye Style matches with my (father's) S&W 586 357 8 3/8" barrel and a S&W model 17 .22.

I also have my CC permit but my (father's) WWII Colt 1911 .45 is a bit large for that role and his Hi-Standard .22 snub-nose is a little weak....so....

I have mostly decided on a CCW but hope you all can help me finalize my purchase.

I am looking forward to making some friends here and since I've read the forum rules, I won't post anything about my Sunday morning activities.

I've had many interests in my life: muzzle loaders, computers, motorcycles, music (I still play my Trumpet every week at ...... for  ...) 

Jim

(edit for spelling)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 07:31:14 AM by jcash46835 »

b5.5dan

Re: CZ-Wanna'Be
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 11:21:35 AM »
Welcome to the club! We're glad you found us and look forward to getting to know you. I have an S&W 18 .22 and it's a fun little handgun.
As for CCW, I carry a full-size 75B without any problems, but I sometimes carry a 1911 in that same role. If you want smaller, I would go with a P-06/7 or a 75B Compact. I think that the Kadet will still fit on the compact, but GW can confirm.
Take care, and keep us informed!

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:04:53 PM »
         Welcome to the forum, and thank you for reading the rules, Despite how it may read, we respect everyones right to their own beliefs, We just don't think this is the proper place to discuss them. I know one guy that always maintained that he shot better after services, I figured why not. I can think of several very good reasons for that. We just didn't discuss it here, really nice guy btw. I think he said he was a Deacon or something, but he also understands about time and place. I'd go shooting with him anyday if we were in the same area.
         But that aside, thanks very much for joining our Forum, Great folks, good conversation, People from all over willing to help anyone that wants the help. Advise or whatever they need regarding firearms particulary CZ and Dan Wessons but now and again we have been know to go a tad off topic regarding other Firearms.  :cheesy:  Welcome and I am sure you will enjoy the experience and even make some new friends here.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Panoply

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 06:25:41 PM »
Hey Man,
Not to be punished for heresy, if you like wheel guns so much, how do you feel about one for your carry weapon?  My father, brother and I all carry a S&W 642-2  If your local gunshop doesn't have the 2 incher, the more common 642 with the 1 & 7/8th's barrel is great.  It's what my sister has!  Of course, these weapons are not good except at close range, but I live in a city and figure it's all I need.  The choice is yours of course.  I just trust revolvers.  Never will jam-up and a misfire is easily corrected (pull the trigger again).  You sacrifice how much lead you can throw out.  So, I guess, auto or revolver?  Just something to consider.  Here's hoping I'm not persecuted for heresy.  Just wanted to share my philosophy on a carry weapon!
Be Well & God Bless

jcash46835

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 06:45:27 PM »
Panolpy - No punishment from me for recommending a S&W anything gun! I considered a small revolver until I was directed to the CZ 75 B by my gunsmith. I started investigating and reading and  so far haven't found anything bad about the CZs. I Still haven't found a shop that has the full size and compact guns for me to do a "hands on" compare. On paper the 75 D PCR and the Kadet .22 kit seems like a good combo for my needs.  The one thing that has creaped into my thinking is with large hands, the CZ 75 BD full size (and Kadet) may work better (and cheaper) but then the consealed carry might suffer .   
It's all an excercise until I can actually find a shop that has both for me to hold.

Offline Panoply

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 08:43:32 PM »
Yeah J, you're dead on about having to hold the weapons before you decide.  Do you live in a small town?  Drive out to a big city or wait for a gunshow.  Anyway.  You know what you're doing, obviously.  I just wanted to put revolvers in your head.  They're my preferred choice, but if you have big hands the 642 is NOT for you!  My hands are not overly large, if anything perhaps smaller than average, and the pistol is smal in my hands.  I know zero, realy, about CZ handguns.  I've handled several versions of the 75 and recently took a look at their Duty pistol.  All fine weapons, just not for me.  I absolutely adore their rifles, I've a model 550 FS (mannlicher style stock) that shoots wonderfully well, has gorgeous Turkish walnut furniture and really does seem more 'ergonomic' than an American style stock shooting with the iron sights.  Very soon I will be buying my second CZ product, either the 455 American (it comes with a conversion kit so fires both 22lr and 17hmr) or the 452 Ultra Lux.  In fact, like you, I posted her for feedback from the CZ experts.  J, these guys are great.  Super helpful.  Found a good forum.
Anyway, that was the extent of what I wanted to say.  Remember the humble revolver!   :laugh:
Be Well & God Bless
Be Well & God Bless

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 10:21:41 PM »

As far as I am concerned you both are right, make good points and I have absolutely no problems with anything either of you say. I don't even have any problem at all with Panoply ending his post with God Bless. (however please keep it at that.) I was and still am a Hugh Ruger fan and frankly I would personally take a Ruger over any other wheel gun made. It has about 6 moving parts, easily cleaned and at least my 30 year old one is a tack driver. I just happen to be fixated on CZ's these days and as a LEO have been in enough situations that the extra firepower they have over rides my likking the wheel gun. There is a lot to be said for wheel guns. You will never see my knock them unless it's about something specific like the Colt Agent Airweight, (expensive paper weight, I sure would not trust my life with it unless I was down to that and nothing else. and I was out of rocks, and knives ) Or what I perceive to be nothing more than a Saturday night special.

I have a CZ 550 UCS w/NightForce scope that I dearly love, even though I should never be allowed to shoot a long gun anywhere except a range. (No kidding I would have trouble hitting the broad side of a barn for the inside with a long gun.) I got it to learn with. I figure I can't blame the weapon when I miss, using a high quality long gun and scope.) :grin:

So that said, we are here to lend an ear, advise, help, suggestions, and personally preference to those that what it. I truly hope you both stay long term members and I have no doubt that you should make some new friends here.

And if either of you happens to be in or near Orlando, FL let me know and we can hit the range with all the CZ models I have and you can try them all.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:45:46 AM by GhostWarrior »

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Panoply

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 10:13:54 AM »
Thanks for the invite GhostWarrior.  Is that name any reference to the N.A. indian Ghost Dancer movement?  Anyway, do you consider the S&W 642 a 'Saturday Night Special?'  It is in size, but absolutely not in workmanship, dependability and accuracy (suprising for such a small barrell, tho i only practice w/ it at 10 & 15 yards).  It IS made for those kind of ranges, and while I won't even begin to claim to put 1" groups in, it does GREAT!  Certainly enough to defend yourself at those ranges.
I, too, hope to keep coming around.  My love affair with CZ is in it's infancy, I was a 1911 fanatic before rheumatoid arthritis sucker punched me, and so may after all try a CZ handgun some day.  For now it's rifles, rifles and more rifles.  They were my first and still greatest love.  Just the 550 FS so far.  Too bad they don't make that AK anymore.  I own no assault rifles, but more and more think I need to get one before they are banned.  I'm drawn to AK's because of aesthetics (sort of silly?  sue me) but will probably end up with an AR.  A no frills one.  I don't like railed up, hanging with gadgets weapons.  Anyway, thanks for the invite, but as far as I usually go into Flirida is Destin.  Yearly, though.  Coffeen nature preserve for a week every year since I was in the womb (seriously) for a family reunion.  4 miles of 'private' beach, homes nestled in a nature preserve....ah.  I wish it were summer again and I was out there with my rod and reel and a cold cerveza in  a coozie around my neck hip deep in warm water.
Be Well & ___ _____
Jeremy

Be Well & God Bless

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 11:09:08 AM »

Sorry apparently I wasn't clear in two things. A "Saturday Night Special" is a slapped together piece of garbage that is close cousin to a zip gun and more than likely will get the user hurt or killed, instead of his/her victim.

Also you did not need to put lines in place of God Bless. I have no issues with that, and anyone may sign off in the manner or their religious beliefs as they see fit. I only request that, that's the farthest anyone goes, no preaching or bible quotes. We are worldwide, with folks that believe in other Deities than yours and I see no reason to not respect everyone and have them keep their feelings in private or place of worship. That does NOT preclude anyone from signing off a post as you choose to do. Be my Guest I will defend your right to do so. The same way I would defend the right of someone to sign off with Namaste, and however the Islamic believers choose to use, or the Buddhist and so on. A simple thing like what you do is not anything to offend anyone's belief's. If so then they are possibly in the wrong place to begin with, since this is after all a site dedicated to Weapons of most kinds, and particularly CZ, Dan Wessons, and BRNO's.

So there you go. that's cleared up again I hope. Oh Ya and Politics are verboten also unless they are related to Second Amendment Issues or Anti firearm in any way. We have more than enough to talk about just discussing firearms without adding Religion and politics to the mix. Just keep to the facts of the issue(s) and no name calling or personal opinions of the entity that is proposing whatever it is that will interfere with our firearm right.

So I hope everyone can agree on that, and everyone is if not satisfied with my decision, at least can accept them and continue on as an integral part of this forum. To Quote Ben Franklin (at least I think he said this) Gentlemen and Ladies, in this matter we must all hang together for if we do not, then we all shall hang separately.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:10:56 AM by GhostWarrior »

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 10:08:57 PM »
The one thing that has creaped into my thinking is with large hands, the CZ 75 BD full size (and Kadet) may work better (and cheaper) but then the consealed carry might suffer

One other thing to consider would be a Semi-Compact
Full sized frame with a compact upper
All the advantages of both
Chek-out this thread:
http://www.czforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=77.0
Good luck in your quest
Shoot safe, Den S
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before, and the years after him !

Offline CZ-RAMI-2075

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 05:36:16 PM »
welcome from Clarkston, WA.

I like the RAMI for CCw, the 75SA for range use and the P-01 for both duties if needed.

There really isn't a bad CZ ( or Dan Wesson)  to choose from these days.

KEV

www.CZforum.com

http://czzone.blogspot.com/

CZ GUNSTUFFS.clarkstoncz@gmail.com for any questions.