Author Topic: Chronograph recomendation  (Read 6686 times)

Offline frgood

Chronograph recomendation
« on: May 19, 2015, 08:03:53 PM »
Looking for chronograph recommendations. Please explain why and not just a product list.

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: Chronograph recomendation
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 05:14:09 AM »
I have used the "Shooting Chrony" for quite a few years.  It is NOT a laboratory grade precision instrument.  It has given me the data that I need to develop loads.  They come with a couple of aluminum rods to hold the sun screen.  If you need to use the screen (clear sky days) replace the rods with bamboo bar b q skewers.  If you shoot one it will not damage the chrony.  The readings are accurate enough to tell what your ammo is doing.  They may be off 1 or 2% but that will do for me. 
    My first chrony was the base model.  A friend with a large scope on his rifle made a .308 hole in the chrony.  He replaced it with "Master" unit.  The master has a remote indicator panel.  It is great if you are shooting at a range that you need to wait for them to call cease fire.  If you have a place to shoot that you control the range it would not be needed. 
   The chrony has ten shot strings.  It also calculates standard deviation for you.  I think that the strings can be customized, but I just use the ten shot preset string.  I am on my third chrony.  The second (replacement) one died after about ten or so years.  I have been happy with the "Chrony".

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 08:27:40 AM »
I forgot to mention the basic reading for each string.  The string or strings on some models list the high velocity with the low and average along with the standard deviation.  There is a list of the individual velocities in the order that they were recorded.  It is possible to delete one or more erroneous reading from a string and the chrony will recalculate the other readings such as the avg. & S.D. 
I almost forgot it records extreme spread too.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:02:09 PM by Rodolfo Fierro »

Offline frgood

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 01:19:16 PM »
Thanks Rodolfo. This is good stuff that is important to know. Looking forward to other contributions as a point of comparison.

Offline chbrow10

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 09:17:38 PM »
I use the Master Shooting Chrony.  Its good enough for load development for USPSA

Offline frgood

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 09:28:38 AM »
I ended up with the Pro Chronograph.  I later also got the Digital Link so I can store the data directly on my phone and send the .xls to my PC.  It has been lmost a year later and I see there is a doppler radar that is going to be the envy of all. That is now on my want list. It can track velocity out to 100 yds. so you can get real drop data. Plus it sets up and works indoors and out. The device is placed next to the shooter, not downrange.  SWEEEET!

Offline noylj

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 05:33:36 PM »
If I wanted a chronograph, it would meet the following:
1) electronics/display would be at the bench and not part of the chrony that can be shot
2) it would be a radar unit and stay at the bench, mounted on the gun, or would run under infrared lights so lighting would not be an issue.
One of the "best" chronographs I have used was back in the late '70s. It used a "printed circuit" on paper. When the bullet hit the first paper and broke the circuit, the timer started and when the second paper was hit, the timer stopped. Distance/time gave velocity. It was slow, but it never was effected by the blast from the gun or the lighting. It was only good for use at the range when I was alone and the paper could add up after a while, but it did what it was supposed to without any fuss at all. When I did hit it, it cut a wire that was easily replaced. Anything down range could be replaced cheaply by visiting a hardware store. Modern is so much easier, but a round in a modern unit is not just a quick trip to Home Depot.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 05:37:14 PM »
       For what it's worth, I user an Oehler 35P. (3 Screen) But I also use it with a Ranson rest. And since I was using it once free hand instead of the chrony, I "Killed" the sensor on the end. So when I ordered a replacement I  also ordered spares for everything that was in the way/range of being hit with a round. It does everything that Rodolfo was talking about. I also use it with a "Bullseye camera system" that records exactly where the rounds hit even when they go through the same hole.

It works with daylight or Fluorescents so I figure it would work with incandescent lights as well. Not sure how it would work with IR but I'll give that a try at some point if we ever find someplace in North Florida that is mostly dry year round to build on.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Orlandochuck

• CZFORUM.COM SHOOTING TEAM MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 03:33:54 PM »
I have the Pro Chrono as well. Works great for confirming power factor before big matches.
CZ 75 Shadow
IDPA Sharpshooter
USPSA
CZForum.com team member

Offline frgood

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 06:53:34 AM »
My birthday is in a few weeks.   hint hint. 

Offline K-Texas

• Howdy from the Heart of Texas!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 02:58:56 PM »
frgood, the greatest challenge for most chrono's is bright sunlight. Someone has finally addressed this. The new Caldwell is inverted where the skyscreens are below the main unit. I have the Pro Chrono, on my 3rd and so far the best. However, if I were buying a new chrono today it would be the new Caldwell that has a processor of increased speed where accuracy is rated +/- .25%.  :wink: