Author Topic: Discussing AK47 and lighting options/effectiveness  (Read 5071 times)

james

Discussing AK47 and lighting options/effectiveness
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:00:32 PM »
BTW, not to start an argument, but I have a LOT of years with firearms, 90% of which is/was small arms. I was a member of the ASLET for a while and I have close quarter engagement experience, both here in the States and elsewhere. I gotta say that putting a light even a Laser on a weapon (long guns, or small arms [which also includes SMG IE: MP-5, Mac 10, Uzi and a couple others]) is not a really good idea. Here's why: A light, flashlight, tends to go out in a cone and it's effectiveness ends long before the range of your weapon is capable of, so it's not really a help. It will also mess up your night vision no end, and that's bad off as you can be in a fire fight. And add to that because it's one and at the ready it's lined up with your center mass whether you go at them full front or crab there is still a lot of you they can hit. All they have to do is sight the center of your light from outside it's cone and the doc says you gonna die, or get hurt real bad. You totally give away your position to the bad guys and they don't even have to work hard to take you out. Seems like a less than optimum thing to do. And personally I try VERY hard  to make them die instead of me. I don't remember who said this or the exact words, but it's something like "the point is not to die for your country, it's for the other guy to die for his" works for criminals also.

I just looked it up and this I found by michael b on Yahoo Answers:

"The proper quote is:

"You don't win wars by dying for your country!! You win wars by making the other silly son of a b*tch die for HIS country!!
 General George S. Patton" "

Anyway you get the point, you also run into the same problems (all of them) with lasers whether you believe it or not. Actually an idea to try just to see for yourself is just tape a light to the muzzle of your pistol or rifle, either at night or in a really dark area if you can find one big enough. Start by letting your eyes adjust to the light level or lack thereof, say a couple mins. Then switch on the light and do a search sweep with your weapon. Now turn off your light and see how much you can see. 10 to one it won't be much, now try that with a friend, have them stand in the room as far away as they can get but still be in the tech range of your weapon, flip on your light it's a given they will see you, but if the area is big enough then they will see your light and know where you are, but outside the effective distance of the light. Move forward until you can see them and stop. Have the other person turn on the lights and look how far you had to go to see them with your light. And the stronger the light the more it screws with your vision. BTW do this test after making sure really, really sure the weapon is unloaded. Oh here's an idea, do this entire test with both parties using paint ball guns. One with a light one without, see how many hits you each make on the other. Use ALL safety gear please. I know you are a Marine (yep I know "Once a Marine allways a Marine") but things happen so double check everything. No offence meant.

And last point, (honest I promise) Both the Military, FBI and a couple other Agencies have been running ongoing tests, using both Lasers and Lights, and so far the results are not in favor of either of them, Because it has proved to be a hindrance in re-acquiring your target after each shot. People naturally tend to follow the light instead of looking forward as they would in daylight.
Yes this got more or less off topic, but I really doubt that many folks stop at this Topic on this Board    « Last Edit: Today at 03:27:02 PM by GhostWarrior »   Report to moderator   Logged  If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice        Onlineoli700 
  • Friendly Fire Isn’t
    • View Profile
    • Personal Message (Online)
             Re: Arsenal Inc. SGL 21-66 (tactical warsaw length buttstock)!!!!  « Reply #6 on:Today at 04:40:30 PM » 
  • Modify
  • Split Topic
  •      Nice looking rifle James !  Ghost Warrior, on the light, what about target id in a home defense situation. Seems like a good option, if you have enough ambient light in the house to id than they can see you, if you call out than they know where you are. If you have a light you might give away your position but if one is smart about it the intruder should be blinded some and you should have the advantage??  I definitely see your point if there are no id concerns, everyone in front of the muzzle is a target type of situation. But I have never had to do it for a living ,  always trying to learn though           Report to moderator   Logged           OnlineGhostWarrior 
  • I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Patron & Life Member NRA
    • View Profile
    • Personal Message (Online)
             Re: Arsenal Inc. SGL 21-66 (tactical warsaw length buttstock)!!!!  « Reply #7 on:Today at 07:06:55 PM » 
  • Modify
  • Split Topic
  •                                      Well thanks a really good question, I would have addressed it before but I realized how much I was typing and not on topic so I stopped. But anyway to answer you, and that was a good question, basicly you are correct, as long as you haven't turned on the or a light when you think you heard something out of the ordinary, then actually you should have the advantage. And that's becasue when you wake up you are in the dark and your eyes have actually adjusted to a darker dark (eyes closed no light gets in with the lights out) so when you open your eyes, the room is actually has more than enough light to see by. ( I hope that made sense I for sure messed up the way I said it) The bad guy is coming into your house from outside with a much brighter ambient light, so his night vison is not going to be on par with yours for at least a couple seconds. Plus you know your house layout and the bad guy dosen't so you have two advantages and the BG has zip. At this point. Here's where a light would work very well in your favor but Not if it's on your weapon, (the person will be blinded yes, but odds are that they will get off a snap shot or two in the direction the light came from, so at that point he may or may not get lucky. Try this, and yes you will need to practice it on a regular basis to make it work; have your weapon in your strong hand and the flash light in your weal hand hold it out from your body as far as you can then snap it on. if they get off a snap shop or two, they will be aiming in the wrong direction and your odds in that case go to your favor. Even if you don't get them dead in the light, if it's close enough to get a fair look at them you have a much better chance of hitting your target in those first few seconds than he will. When I was in the Academy that's the way we were trained, and it takes some practice to get right, because you naturally tend to point the flashlight at an angle instead of straight ahead. Has to do with your wrist angle and the way you hold the light. Get a flashlight, (day is fine because you are going to want to see the results) close your eyes hold it as far away from your body as you can then open your eyes, odds are that it will not be pointing straight ahead. It's different for everyone no one is built the same as everyone else, not to mention what you do for a living may impact how your wrist works. Plus it's your off hand (weak) and it's never likely to be as strong as your "strong" side wrist. {you should also practice as much as possible with your off hand when you go to the range so if you are hit and your strong side can't hold the weapon, then you can still use your left hand to fire and hit your target. May not be as pretty or exactly where you wanted to shot, but it beats heck out of not practicing then having to do it and missing totally.} Never ever give the other guy even a remotely even break.                  Folks are now or have been saying "oh that's horse hockey, or ya so you can do all that with a handgun but not with a shot gun." or that's not how they do it on TV, All the cops use two hands ya but the light is under the pistol not way away.". Yepper and that's because it IS TV and not Real Life, and because they are limited by camera angles so holding their arm away from their body isn't going to film well at all. And it's all about smoke and mirrors on TV and the Movies. As for shotguns I would tell you to get the shortest legal one you can use in your state, because the longer the barrel the harder it is to turn a corner and be ready to use it. Simply math will show you why that is. I have 2 W/W Model 12 12 gage pumps and one is 18 inches and the other is 19 inches, That's the way they were made, because both of them are Police Riot and Close Quarter Combat weapons. First designed for the US Army in WWI for trench warfare. They are not that easy to find anymore but you can find them and in really good shape. Mine have saved my butt a couple times over the years all the way back to the dark ages. This is where, having a light on your weapon I can deal with and accept. Reason is because the barrel is short, have less issues moving quietly around your house and can actually work really well. Mostly that depends on whether you can a found in the chamber and it's cocked, finger OFF the trigger until you need it. (Racking a shot gun is one of the loudest things you can do and there is no way to do it silently, quietly maybe with practice, but otherwise you have just told the intruder you are awake and armed and they will either cut and run or wait for you to show yourself counting on the barrel being a lot longer so they will spot you before you spot them)                  With that in mind however way you chose to do it (and yes auto's work without pumping yes we know that. But even the shortest Remington I have seen had a barrel longer than 18 inches. And no I haven't looked lately, no need to since I already have what I want.) wait until your weapon and yourself are clear of the corner and spot the dark shape you think is the intruder, then put your finger on the trigger and flip on the light and hope things are going your way. I don't give a rats putooty how many engagements you have been it and never got hurt or at least survived, Every single one of them is a crap shoot, Your job is to use loaded dice and hope the other guy isn't.                  While we are on the subject of ranking a round into your shot gun, the same thing goes for your pistol, but it is a lot more possible to do that with very little noise, but the object of the exercise is that you have no idea who or what is around that corner or wall and you need to be ready to fire at any time Not just when you think you know where they are. Again and I can Not say this enough, Load the dice, Never give the other guys any chance at all. Your job is to protect your family and yourself in that order, and you can't do that if you take unnecessary risks or give them even the smallish chance because you worry about what the legal things are or that you are to civilized to actually believe that the other person won't shoot if you give them a chance to do the right thing. YES you are scared, YES you may never have ever seen or been in a fire fight of any kind, that's Fine, if someone told me that they weren't scared the whole time until it was over, they are either Lying through their teeth or they are psychopath. And even then I wouldn't bet they weren't at least a little scared. EEEhhhh this is way long and Way off topic. Anyone whats to carry this conversation on we need to do so in the Free Fire Board

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Discussing AK47 and lighting options/effectiveness
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 07:11:29 PM »
               Well done, Thanks I was thinking about doing that but the phone rang and by the time the call was over I forgot.  :laugh:
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

james

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »
Ok, well obviously the situation will always dictate what gear you should use.  That being said I will tell you that using a light is quite effective in house clearing situations.  I have used them myself in real life combat in Iraq and for positive ID of your target - and positive ID that the target is not your friend/wife/child - it is invaluable.  Will it affect your night sight - yes but you will be alive after clearing the room.  The benefits, especially when working with others, by far outweighs the disadvantages though I agree that you should think and make sure you are using the gear as intended.  Trying to light someone up outside at night in a field is not the proper use of that gear and will cause problems with decreased night visibility, give away position, and may not even reach far enough to find the target.

So the moral to the story is that lights are for room clearing and are top notch in my book and the book of all the guys I served with.  To not have one is to be under-equipped and I would rather choose someone with a surefire or comparable light when clearing rooms/buildings over someone without.  They are not meant to be kept on the entire time, they are a burst of light when and where you need it.  Can they see it? Yep, they can also see you during the day.  The idea is you will be able to acquire your target (them) faster then they can acquire theirs (you) so you shoot first at the center of your light or through the optics/iron sights if you have the time/need.

Room clearing is not about being sneaky, its about hitting hard and fast so they can't react.  "Flood the room".  During a fast paced intense event like this if you do NOT have a light you could trip, shoot a shadowy figure that turns out to be your friend/wife, get confused of where you are in the layout of the house... I am for them and have used them in real world application (OIF) to me they are more important than optics - iron sights still work, but without a light you cant see didly at night in someones house with or without a fancy aimpoint - true story.

Also as you brought up someone coming from outside will have been in a slightly lighter environment giving you the advantage.  So if you wake up in the middle of the night and know where they are/can see then you may not want to turn on your light.  Now if you are entering a house to help/clear it then you will have the disadvantage of coming in from a lighter environment - press the light button and its no longer a problem.  Clean good light on your target enabling you to get fast acquisition and end the threat.  You can always get shot, this just makes it so you can "make the other B**t**d die for his!" country right before he makes you die for yours. 

Keep in mind with those studies of police and military.  A lot of those are just that - studies.  It's a lot of theoretical jargon and may not represent the opinions or experiences of the boots on the ground.  Fancy classes and studies are helpful, but when you kick in that door in the middle of the night you might find that having a rifle mounted light would have been nice.

oli700

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 08:16:16 PM »
 That all makes since. A lot of people would call my HD shotgun overkill. But it wears a lot of hats and I can handle it good. It has a light but I figure I wouldn’t use it for navigating and only at the last second if I had to id a person in my home or an animal around camp . The shotgun started as a companion gun for salmon fishing and hiking here in bear country and maybe some tweaker at a meth lab in the middle of nowhere(been happening here).I added some unnecessary things to it but I have become pretty good with it and just shoot it a ton….so much so I started casting my own slugs, 00 buck and reloading so I don’t go broke to shoot it as much as I want and it is just a hoot so I shoot it all the time really, addicted to slugs. I just need to get a simple 18 inch 5 shot, short lop to keep next to the bed.
Thanks for taking the time to write that out you guys, Good info and opinions from experienced people is invaluable.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 08:57:45 PM »

You make very good points all of them, but some of them only acquaint themselves with combat and door kicking with a team, And even then you trained a lot before you were good at it, come on be honest here, I never meet a single person that ever passed an exercise like that the first time out, or even the first 5 times through it. How many civilians do you think have a clue about how to do a tactical clear inside or out? With or without a backup or team. In those situations every one covers everyone's else back. you know that and I know that but no one that has never been in the Military or some sort of LEO and I was both isn't going to have that kind of advantage. I bet you train at least once a week in some manner, and do you compete in anything? IPSC, IDPA, etc.? Or the simulators or the Hogans Alley course? You and I are professionals or at least were and we, or at least I like to think I am still one, I may be rusty as heck but I bet I can still do it better than a civilian.

I was addressing two situations, the first is that the reader is not going to be kicking in any doors, nor get involved in any outdoor running gun battles especially at night. the second is that in all the moves/TV shows everyone runs around with the lights on the entire time. That is how most every civilian sees and thinks is the right way, because they saw it on TV. Even COPS is partly staged and drives me nuts because people think some of what they say and do is really the way things or done, and we both know that's bull. So my point was Not to have the light on continually and use it the same way you mentioned and I said at least twice if not more, as a Shock effect and not on all the time. And yes for the average home owner vs. an intruder clearing a room Is about being sneaky. Only people that are trained and have at least one back up can do the smash and shoot and have any chance of coming out alive.

Seriously, even under the conditions you mentioned in the field clearing a house, you had what a 3 or 5 man team? even 7? and how many other sqauds may have been there as back up? and how many of those raids went according to plan and not one of you got injured or killed? either your team or one of the other ones? And how many hours days and weeks did you either train and or do that jus to be as good as you were? You seriously think the average person can do even a tenth of any of that or even understand Why and When it's done that way?

You are most certainly correct. Every time is different, everyone has either a small arm or a shotgun. Or the trusty baseball bat etc. I started this knowing full well I wasn't covering everything and with every confidence that someone would post something that questioned my thoughts. But there is no reason to cover  things most people don't know and never will know. I would just be confusing them. And that's NOT a slight towards a Single person that reads this. I swear I hope not a single person EVER needs to have to defend their family, themselves and their homes with deadly force! You remember the first time you were involved personally in a shot and you Know you were responsible for the death? even though they unquestionably deserved to die, I bet you were ready for what actually happened. People do not understand that when someone dies, especially dies violently they Void Everything. Their bowels let go, their bladder lets go and deepening on how they died if their center mass was comprised seriously enough then their intestines will be exposed and most likely party outside their bodies. The sell is NOT something anyone will ever forget. and most will never forget what they did just trying to protect their loved one. LEO's of all kinds,  Military, First responders have washed out after their first shooting or fatality. It happens and there is not a thing you or I or anyone else ever involved in a violent death can do to make anyone else understand all you and I can do is try to give them some advice to help them survive and not do what they see on TV or the Movies because we both know that will get them killed. Will they remember any of this when and if push comes to shove? Probably not. but if they remember even a little bit and they live they we did some good.

I'm NOT trying to pick a fight, you were in long after I was out. We both saw things we would rather forget. You fought in a desert and I fought in a stinking jungle where not one person wanted us in the first place, and got spit on when we came home. You got waving cheering crowds and people coming up to you to say Thank You. And I am one of those people and I will be until I die. You also have/had better everything than my generation ever thought of and for that I thank whatever Deity you care to mention. Better training, Better moral, better Medics. I think I can say we were both scared every time we went out on patrol, you had IED's we got little kids with grenades in their teddy bears or dolls. You had /have a lot of support from most of our country, we not so much.

I'm only trying to take what we know and modify it so the average person can apply it. I'm not sending them into combat or raiding drugs houses or hideouts. And I really want to hear whatever you have to say. There is Always more than one way to look at things and for that reason, I hope you have more suggestions or ideas and or someone else chimes in with what they know about Real Life. I'm no Expert on fighting I admit that right up front, because you may or may not have heard this before but anyone that has seen the elephant will tell you an "Expert is only someone that hasn't made a mistake yet" And I want to know every single thing I can to help me keep my family safe. Especially now that I am 61 and not some young stud that I was back in history. Some of what I know I need to practice and figure out how to apply it to myself and being disabled. So thanks for jumping in. please keep doing it.

I named this board what I did for this very reason. so that flame wars don't get started anywhere else and not really tolerated on this board either, with the understanding someone is going to disagree with someone else and take exception, I just hope we can keep the differences civil.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

james

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 11:33:08 PM »
Don't worry about picking a fight with me, I like to discuss these things in order to learn and share - not fight.  As far as defending your home you make a good point - you will probably be better off sneaking or waiting for your shot rather than running and gunning John Wayne style.  I guess the reason for having an assault rifle for me is if S hits the fan so I'm assuming that it may be used for more than simple home defense.  Being trained and having put that training to use we do take certain concepts and techniques for granted, but I feel that it would be an injustice to not include what I consider to be 'proper' technique just because a civilian has not had the same experience - especially when explaining why I want a certain piece of gear. 

If someone came into the house I would react quickly and quietly hoping to get a surprise shot at the evil doer.  Now if something bad happened i.e. the zombie apocalypse or if rule of law ceases for whatever reason then you may be facing more than just an intruder and may require more advanced knowledge to confidently and relatively safely get to other family members or friends for support.  Is any of this really gonna happen?  I highly doubt I will ever have a real need for the assault rifle or mounted light at all, but if I do I want to have the options that will give me the most advantage.  I just wanted to clarify why I do like rifle mounted light systems for you and anyone else, civilian or not, that may read this thread.

As far as the psychology and impact of approaching or being a part of a situation where you took someones life that is a whole other piece that is very important.  Especially civilians who own firearms need to spend time really considering what they would do in the moment, what the mental impact can be, and they need to know they are making the right call morally and legally if they do decide to shoot.  Dead people are dead.  You can't undo that as we all know, but when it happens and you see it for the first time it is very real.  I suggest that any civilian owning any weapon should understand the basics of urban tactics like room clearing by taking courses or at least training on their own after reviewing solid techniques.  Guns aren't toys and there is a lot of responsibility that comes with owning them, let alone using them for their intended purpose.  If you own it you need to train with it and have a responsibility to make sure your training techniques are sound. 

A firearm on its own will not do anything to save your life.  It is your knowledge and skill combined with that firearm that will save your life.  Food for thought on using firearms for defense in general I suppose.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 12:33:02 PM »

I love this place! I can always count on some saying to same thing I did, more or less, just with fewer words, thanks. Oh and also when I said a short barrel Shot Gun was best in a home I did not mean to say folks should take their favorite or one and only Shot Gun and cut down the barrel. NO, please don't do that unless you have one you really don't mind sacrificing. But if you do cut one down make real sure you know what the legal minimum length can be in your state or by Federal law, State Laws may never supersede Federal laws but they make more stringent ones. So if the BATFE says 18 inches is peachy, your State could say the min is 20 and that is the one you have to go by. They can't make the legal length shorter than 18 but they can increase it. That’s true of any law in any State btw ( or was, I'm no lawyer so I don't really know if the US Congress ever changed that law)

Ya war and law enforcement are a lot different than protecting your own home from intruders. I also forgot to mention in the other post when you are I and others like us go out to do what we do, we have on Body Armor (forget the term "Bullet Proof" there is not such thing and never has beed) not just for luck but for the simple fact that the odds are someone of us Will get hit in the raid but the Vests saves our lives most every time. Not only do you need to train with your weapons, small arm, shot gun, long gun, but you really do need to make sure your entire family knows what to do especially at night. My daughter knew to hide under her bed and not move make a sound, My wife knew to stay in the bedroom and not say anything until I called clear. Or if necessary shoot the dipstick if I failed. My wife is Not that found of weapons, she has a ccw, but doesn't carry it or a weapon, she does know what to do if she's attacked outside. (I hope), and she aced her training class and back when she took it lasted 16 hours, 2 Saturdays, or 4 Wednesdays your pick. So if the intruder gets past me odds are not good for whomever comes through the door. But the point is everyone in the house needs to know what to do and why. (Daughters a lot older 24 now and she's had the course and has 3 of my Pistols and she knows how to take care of herself.) She know from the time she could talk never to touch any weapon. But that's us, and I also have a EotW (Zombie's?) kit ready if that day ever comes. And it has a CZ 550 .308 sniper rifle with a 5.5x22x50 0 stop MPR1 Reticle Night Force Scope attacked and in a special case.

Everything I said above is really up to each and every family to work out what works for themselves, But I would seriously suggest that all non-combatants are told in no uncertain terms to stay where they are and not make a sound, (And Ya good luck with that) I know Adults that aren't capable of that. Never ceases to surprise me none the less. And That part only works if the intruder(s) come in through anywhere BUT the bedroom windows. And for that very bad situation there is really not much anyone can do, except hope the kids wake up in time to get clear before whomever it is inside or grabs them. Burglar Alarms work great but not everyone can afford one even if it's not monitored in any way, just have it for the noise, Things are not that cheap and things are not good ecumenically for most folks. No one can tell you how to protect your kids/family (well yes they could if they were there to walk you through it, and everyone paid attention and actually did what they were told and remembered it) But that costs even more than an Alarm. Every single family is different, every home is different. Note I did not say house, house' can/are be all the exact same design and layout, but what makes it a Home is the people that live in it and the furnishings they use. We have given some folks thoughts they may not have considered and I hope we have helped at least someone, somewhere. I doubt we will ever find out, all we can do is Hope that folks can make any of this work for them depending on the circumstances.

Here is a whole nother scene, I am interested in seeing how anyone responds.

Hostages (your family member in your home): say you have confronted the intruder, but they either already have one of your family, or one of the family forgets everything they were told, come out from where they are and get close enough to the intruder to be grabbed and used as a hostage/shield. This is a world class nightmare for anyone, and I mean anyone, and how things turn out depends on, in this case, how you deal with it. First and foremost I have been shooting for 30 years give or take with the last 10 years off, I'm rusty as heck but now that I can see again I'm going to be spending a lot of time at the range getting back your skill set. so this is what I would do and frankly I think it's the only safe way to keep the Hostage alive, your family alive and the hostage alive (hostage being one of the family members or friends etc.) When I go to the range I go with a plan on spending an hour each on in the Black Center Mass both slow fire and rapid, one hour shooting with my left hand hoping to hit the target more or less in the center as much as possible. Unless you are naturally ambidextrous it isn't as easy as you would think. And one hour taking timed, slow Head shots, With the aim being to put the round through the eye and not just anywhere in the head. Ah you ask why? Well here's the deal. General placed Head shots do NOT switch off the entire body instantly. Depending on where you shot them in the head, you may get lucky and drop them without their pulling the trigger or cutting or stabbing, but that depends entirely where you hit them. Most head shots will kill the person, but that does not mean they can't still do harm even dead, and what I am talking about is called Galvanic Response. Believe it or not I actually spelled that correctly the first time, but I still checked. Anyway what means is that our bodies are pretty much run by our nervous system which is controlled by minute electrical impulses from our brains. Or if actually dead then you can make a leg or arm twitch using a wire hooked to two batteries, Basic Biology. Anyway when the brain gets a bullet zipping through it or bouncing around inside it's skull it scrambles all those minuet impulses to the muscles and can very likely make some or all of the body spasm for a second or so, and that spasm could very easily be their trigger finger, or arm/hand holding the knife, causing it to pull the trigger or slice with the knife. depending on just how much they are concentrating on holding that pose and how tight their muscles are because of it. But the odds are Not in the Hostages favor and there for not in yours even more. (Yes I Know on TV or the Movies head shots Always make the bad guy fall down without twitching, no convulsions, no spasms, and in Real Life that is bull) But people see  that and think it's totally true, and now we have First person shooter games where that and even more stupid things work, and taken for granted by everyone that has never seen or heard of a real life violet death. Sorry back to the point, there is/are more or less three places you can actually shoot someone in the head and turn off Everything instantly, they simply drop like a bag of potatoes. The primary shot is through the eyes, Left eye is the very best but the Right works also, Really hard to get the idiot hostage taker to expose their left eye Unless they happen to be left handed. Oh it happens now and again when they expose their entire face to scream at you, but not something you can count on. We can skip the other two places since it isn't very likely you will ever have those shots unless you are part of the Hostage Team/sniper/ or LEO in the right place. And those shots are still up to the person holding their weapon on the hostage taker. I really have no intention of making this into a how to for breaking the law, and I'm not going to get into the argument about when self-protection books and information, can drift over into how to's for the bad guys to use against you. EVERYTHING can be put to bad uses.

So this brings up something else TV and Movies get wrong every time, and I have seen LEO'S do it also which really makes me wonder who is doing their training. IF Deity Forbid you ever end up pointing your weapon at someone holding a hostage NEVER ever lower it until the other person is dead or surrenders and then only if they drop their weapon first. Unless of course you want to die, and let everyone one else die also. People for some reason continue to think that bad guys aren't really that bad and if they make a deal with you they will keep it. Put that thought clear out of your mind now and keep it there, the odds a criminal will keep their bargain (forget giving their Word, you need Honor for your Word to be believed and they, the bad guys. almost never do) So the odds of them keeping their side of the deal is roughly 99 to 1 against that happening. You lower your weapon even for an instant and you lose, the bad guy is not likely going to kill the only person keeping them alive. That's not to say a suicide by police isn't possible. or that the hostage taker isn't a stoned out Psychopath who has nothing to lose and simply kills the hostage simply because they can, but if that's the case there is not one bad thing you could do about it or could have done about. Pretty much in that situation you have to decide pretty damn fast to take the eye shot a.s.a.p. and I hope you have practiced that a lot. Frankly it should not be that hard a shot since A) you will almost always be inside twenty feet of the person say 8 yards not more than ten unless you are the designated sniper which you won't be in your own home. And B) the eye is about the same size as the x in the center ring of a target so if you practice shooting at 5 and 10 yards aiming and hitting the x then you can take the shot and hit their eye. Now here the part I really hate about TV and Movies. Say the bad guy takes his weapon off the hostage and waves it at everyone around him or simply at you, generally yelling at you to get out of the way or whatever. You almost never see the actors shoot that person in the head or anywhere else, everyone just stands around watching as the bad guy puts the weapon back on the hostage. In Real Life, If they take the weapon away from the hostage and point it at you or anyone else and not directly at the hostage, SHOOT them in the head! Anywhere! Death throes aren't going to matter a whole lot. Unless everyone, but the bad guys, luck has taken the day off. Especially if the weapon is a knife, or the firearm is not cocked, as long as it's not pointing at the hostage or at anyone in particular, they will die before their finger hand actually gets to twitch if it does at all.

Ok you are asking what if the LEO's are there and pointing their weapons at both of you and telling you both to put your weapons down. What you do then, mostly depends on how good a shot you are, and how much you trust the LEO's involved to do the right thing. The risk here is not small at all it's in fact fairly substantial, but if it's me I'm going to tell them to piss off I'm not lowering anything until the bad guy lest the Hostage go and drops their weapon. But that IS ME! What you do is your call I can't choose for you because I will not be there to know everything thing that is involved and how it got that way. James I hope has some ideas but he isn't going to be there either to advise you or help. All you can hope is that the LEO's keep their act together and figure the bad guy is the most important person to worry about. And not shot me when I shoot the bad guy while he is distracted by the LEO's or anyone else that enters the room. It would not surprise me in the least if some City or State had a law that said in that type of situation you are legally bound to do as the LEO's tell you and if you fail to do so you can be charged with whatever their tiny little political bleeding heart minds decide to charge you with. I would take my chances in a court room every single time and that's including if  I lived in the Republik of Kalli, or anywhere else that bleeding heart liberal anti-gun politicians control. Then again, they sure as hell have no legal grounds to try you for Murder, Manslaughter, Accidental Death, or anything else along those lines for the very simple reason that the FEDERAL laws clearly state that ANYONE licensed to carry or not may use whatever lethal force necessary if a Felony is being committed and you can stop it. And Federal laws in this case trumps any Local or State Law every time. And Hostage taking is very much a Federal Felony. It's actually a first cousin if not brother/sister to Kidnapping since they have a person against their will. is keeping them from their family & friends and using them to negotiate a way out of the CF they got themselves into.

Oh and James (or anyone else for that matter) if you ever get down to Orlando and have some free time look me up please cause I sure as heck good use some help learning to use my Long Gun, I have never been any good with them every which is why I specialized in Small Arms, and Riot Shotguns. Close quarter combat.