Author Topic: 9mm +P?  (Read 14449 times)

amryan11

9mm +P?
« on: November 13, 2011, 02:33:47 PM »
Does anybody know if my CZ 75B can handle 9mm +P rounds? Since it's all I have now I'm going to be carrying it once I receive my CCDW Permit and I figured +P hollow points would pack some more punch. I've gotten the impression it can handle them fine but I wanted to see what you guys had to say.

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: 9mm +P?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 04:53:31 AM »
The gun can handle +P.  It is fine for carry ammo.  You probably will enjoy shooting somthing milder for regular range trips.  Your wallet will like the plain stuff too.

b5.5dan

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 09:31:52 PM »
How about +P+ ? :cheesy:
I was just wondering about this, so I am super stoked to find the answer! How much +P could one run through a 75B before you experienced any ill effects? I would like to carry it, so I guess you would want to run 2-300 rounds through to feel good about it.

Also, does anyone know if the SP-01 or P-07 will handle +P?
One of those two will likely be my next pistol, and will probably replace the 75B as my EDC weapon.

Thanks!

amryan11

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 09:34:33 PM »
I had heard that 9mm in Europe is equivalent to 9mm +P here (someone else would have to verify that though). Obviously if that is the case the 75B (and any CZ, seeing as they're Czech made) should be able to handle +P just fine, or so one would think. I don't know about the +P+ though.

b5.5dan

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:20:54 PM »
Thanks! It seems like +P, for the most part, would be more than sufficient. Especially with JHP to boot!

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 05:48:28 AM »
I don't know about the +P+ though.
+P+ is an advertizing term.
There is no definition in SAAMI for it.  If a manufacturer made +P+ ammo with higher pressure that +P someone would get hurt using it.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 05:50:30 PM »
       The only thing I would add is that if you are using a CZ75 Pre-B and want to use Hollow points of any kind, make sure you have the ramp polished and double check the fitting and alignment, if you aren't a gunsmith then have one do it for you. I have 6 CZ75 Pre-B's and not a single one of them will take a hollow point of any kind at all. Suckers jam up everytime. I just haven't seen the need to carry Hollow points so I haven't had the work down on the ramp etc. But Gm is going to be doing some custom work on 2 of them so when I finally get them back I'll try using some hollow points and see if they like them better then.

This may or may not be true for CZ 75B's but I don't think so.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

amryan11

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 05:52:15 PM »
Interesting, I don't have a pre-B but that is good to know. That's exactly the sort of tidbit this site is great for.
I have never shot any JHP thru my 75B but I probably will soon and I'll make sure to report back on how it does.

b5.5dan

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 06:46:21 PM »
I have a Post-B 75, and that beautiful girl eats everything I have ever tried. I wondered about that, so I bought some Blazer Brass (garbage that NONE of my other firearms will digest). Yep. The 75 ate that all up as well... So, that's 115gr ("ball" and JHP), 124 JHP and FMJ (the bullet weight originally intended for 9mm Para), even the 147. Expensive stuff, cheap crap for paper punching and watermelon control... It's just an amazing pistol that is made to work every time!

GW, why do you not carry JHP in your SD pistol? I carried FMJ when I first started carrying, but I decided I would rather have a little more "oomph" in my SD CCW. And most of the time I don't have the "expensive" SD ammo. I use the Remington 115gr JHP and from the bullets I have been able to recover, it seems to always expand at 20yds...

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 07:57:20 AM »
Well good question.

First reason is that if that don't work in my CZ 75 A (Pre-Ban, Pre-B version, CZ original, pick whichever word works best for you) then I wouldn't carry it in any of my weapons, since the Original mags work in my B model pistols I simply do not want to grab the wrong mag by mistake, so if none of my mags have HP's then I don't have to worry about feeding issues.

Second reason: I trained in a way most folks don't, actually very few even ever heard of it. I shoot for the torso first, the groin second and then as they bend forward I put a round through their pointy little heads. And sometimes I simply ship the torso or groin and simply put 2 or three in the head. HP's, jacketed or otherwise have been known to:
         A) not penetrate the bone,
         B) Penetrate the bone but not go deep. Even in torso shots HP's may tear the hell out of flesh but once they hit a thick enough bone they tend to stop (for more than one reason, and I'm not spending the time here to explain about kinetic energy, and ragged edges digging into the bone and coming to a screeching halt) Whereas ye Olde trusty FMJ may not tear up as much flesh, meat whatever, The will either break and the bone and go through or they ricochet off aid bone and go do more damage in other places.
       C) HP will, can be, and have been stopped by heavy clothing because the jacket expanded at point of impact and the jagged edges caught on whatever and either slowed them down or outright stopped them before they penetrated the body.

People are welcome to do as they wish and shoot whatever they wish. I'm not going to sit here and tell anyone what ammo is the best and why and so on, It's their choice and how they were either brought up or trained, civilian, LEO or Military. I simply have no intention of letting my assailant(s) have even the slightest chance of surviving the fight. I figure the Hospital ER's have enough on their hands treating honest folk then to waste time treating Felons that should have been put down long before I ever got to them. As far as I am concerned the only fair fight is the one I live through, and hope my Deity of choice helps those that help themselves, and I help the hell out of myself when it comes to getting to see my family every night.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
I figure the Hospital ER's have enough on their hands treating honest folk then to waste time treating Felons that should have been put down long before I ever got to them.
Hear hear!

RAMIfied

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 09:07:27 AM »
hey guys,   :grin:
i have purchased the Polymer version RAMI in 9mm, could anyone tell me if i can use +P ammo? all i'm finding is that is accepts ammo that meets SAAMI standards.
i'm new to the forum, i hope i'm not repeating this question.

please help.

b5.5dan

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 09:09:24 AM »
Welcome to the forum!
I think you will be ok using +P in your RAMI. I wouldn't use it all day every day, but it will be safe for you to use enough to practice with and carry for CCW.

Again, welcome to the forum!

RAMIfied

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 01:29:01 AM »
wow, that was a fast response!  :shocked:
thanks a lot!  :grin:

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 06:28:03 PM »
Shoot regular ammo. Saves wear and tear on your gun, and your wallet.