Author Topic: Extended pressure loads +p and +p+?  (Read 4153 times)

bnmorgan

Extended pressure loads +p and +p+?
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:41:34 PM »
Well, I don't seem to be able to find anything that says whether or not our pistols are rated for any of the high pressure loads, and while logic tells me that no statement that they are means that they are not, I'd rather ask and know.  I would like to have my primary carry ammo to have the maximum capability of doing the job if the need were to arise.  I know what adrenaline does in a fire fight, and I know that it becomes necessary to have the most potential to make up for human fallibility there, so....

If +p or +p+ rounds are NOT advisable or safe, what is, in y'alls opinion, a top line performer?

Thank you,
Byron Morgan
CZ-75BD Police

bnmorgan

Re: Extended pressure loads +p and +p+?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:54:47 PM »
 :shocked:  how did i miss the post just a few down from here. . . . .

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
         It happens all the time  :grin:  including to myself and others that have been part of forums for years, and Welcome to our Forum. we are glad yo have you with us. ANd yes CZ's as are most European pistols are built to take higher pressure ammo than US pistols. Just keep in mind where and when you will possibly need ammo that hot since it can easily go through and through and down a non-combantant. which would be a bad thing. I thin from what you posted you allready know that but possible some other person reading this won't so no offence intended. We are all here to learn from each other as much as possible. Welcome again to our Forum.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:11:27 AM »
In the manual it shows the muzzle energy as approx. 530 J (or 390 ft/lb).  NATO ammo is rated at 630 J (465 ft/lb) so it would be out.  SAAMI sets the maximum pressure for 9mm Luger at 35,000 PSI.  No nationial amunition maker is going to sell anything (even +P+) that exceeds 35,000 PSI.  A few +P rounds will not wear it out.  Test them, carry them, but shoot something lighter at the range.  Shooting higher power ammo is going to cause more wear on you gun and body.

bnmorgan

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:26:47 PM »
Cool. Thanks all.  I've been looking around and can't really decide what I want to carry. May spend some time reading box-o-truth for one, and finding some other real world stuff, and find something sensible that can offer a good chance of 100% energy delivery.  I don't want any rounds addressed "to whom it may concern" while there is some thug waiting to receive his due.

more than that, i just want people to act like they have some sense...then we wouldn't need all this hardware....but since that ain't gonna happen on any broad scale..... :huh:

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 06:31:12 PM »
Standard velocity is fine, just put more rounds into the person, uh, target. LOL!