Author Topic: Finding Info on KIA Buddies  (Read 27939 times)

Uffdaphil

Finding Info on KIA Buddies
« on: October 07, 2014, 12:36:01 PM »
An FYI for fellow Viet vets. Sometimes a post will appear many years later about a KIA. A stateside friend was killed before I could contact him in-country. All I knew was the unit and date posted in the Army Times weekly listings. Twenty years later a guy from his squad in the firefight posted a few details of that day on a memorial site. And after another 15 years a second person added more to the story.I'm sure it brought much comfort to his family hearing how much Kenny was admired and knowing he died after pulling wounded out of the kill zone.

So don't assume it's too late to find new information. As vets get older some belatedly become comfortable with unburdening themselves of traumatic circumstances. Try searching for both national and state sites. Not just the official "Wall" site. Good luck.

Offline CZJoe

Carl E. Chamberlain, Marine Corp.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 06:47:52 PM »
Any information concerning high school buddy KIA Dec 28, 1967

Uffdaphil

Re: Finding Info on KIA Buddies
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 07:53:57 PM »
You may have to a lot of different searches. The site I found my buddy's info is "down for maint." which may mean it is defunct. Check by name, date, and state. Some states may have a site only for their people. Defunct sites database may be picked up for a new site under a different name. Check veterans forums, especially for branch or unit. Good luck.

Offline CZJoe

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 09:48:33 AM »
Thanks.........I'll post if I find a particularly good site.

Offline Luger Fan

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 09:09:26 AM »
Good info. I was with A 1/3 3rd Mar Div in I Corp in Vietnan. 1969-1971

Offline J Mercurio

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 08:04:16 PM »
The National achieves are also a good place to search.  You can also search US grave registration.