Author Topic: 527 Lux in 223  (Read 2924 times)

klw

527 Lux in 223
« on: September 04, 2014, 09:53:29 PM »
I just recently got one.  One problem has persisted.  Chambering a round can be a problem.  If I slowly push the bolt forward about half the time the bolt will freeze up.  Takes a lot of force to pull it backwards.  If I slam the bolt forward then it is much more likely to close.  Either way if I try a cartridge a second time it is probably going to close.  I can not see any reason why I'm having this problem and I've miked just about everything.  Any suggestions?

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
Re: 527 Lux in 223
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 05:53:36 PM »
Disassemble the bolt and put it back together without the striker. Move it back and forth without the magazine inserted. If you find the source of the problem, get back to us before removing metal.

If no problem occurs, insert the magazine and repeat the test until you locate the problem. As above, get back to us before modifying the rifle.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

klw

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 11:41:00 PM »
What will this accomplish?

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 07:39:59 AM »
It will help determine where and what the problem will be. Personally, I don't think that removing metal is a great idea unless you know exactly what the cause is and if that will in fact fix the problem.

The first thing I would do is use your hand and touch every surface on the bolt and see if you have any rough areas. You may need to polish it. If so, start with 1000 grit sandpaper and then use a cloth buffing wheel. Only polish really rough/jagged feeling edges, and it really only takes a few light strokes in most cases.

Repeat the process inside the chamber and anywhere inside the receiver the bolt slides. For this you will need a brass brush for cleaning a 12ga shotgun. Put the brush on a cleaning rod, and the rod inside a drill. Run the brush/drill inside the receiver and into the chamber, but not so far as to go inside the barrel. This will help get rid of any rough edges inside the chamber and receiver. Make sure you lube the everloving mess out of the brush and chamber. Then repeat the process with the shotgun mop with cleaner on it, then lube it back up, reassemble and then function test. Repeat if necessary.

I've had to do this a few times with other firearms for the same reason.

jollyscotsman

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 02:26:24 PM »
Hi m8,have a look to see if the round is catching on the lip just before the breach as It's picked up from the mag,I had the same problem on my .223,turned out the magazine trigger assembly wasn't correctly alligned,and the round was catching on entry to the breach.