Author Topic: 85 combat rear sight removal  (Read 5418 times)

airnot

85 combat rear sight removal
« on: September 11, 2014, 11:33:58 AM »
    Hello all, I'm new to the CZ experience. I just bought a new 85 combat (and because of these old eyes) I'd like to replace the rear sight with a Leupold Red Dot. I have been unable to find any info. on how this is done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
Re: 85 combat rear sight removal
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 12:01:59 PM »
Welcome to our forum!! I beleive in order to add a red dot sight the slide or frame would need to be drilled to accomodate the red dot. I'm very leary of drilling on my gun, hence the reason I won't add one....Hope this helps.
Again, welcome to our forum!!
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline frgood

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 04:36:34 PM »
Doesn't the Leupold Delta Point have a mount specified for the CZ75? If so, I'm thinking that perhaps the question might be if the CZ 75 and the 85 Combat have the same cut? If so, tap out, tap in.

airnot

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 05:09:00 AM »
     Fellas, I appreciate the comments. I agree with not drilling into the frame, and never was interested in that route. I have a Red Dot mounted on a M&P .45 compact and it works quite well for my purposes. I guess my questions should have been, facing forward, do I push out  from the right or the left? Does the sight have a keeper holding it in place? Do I need to heat the sight (because of Lok Tite)? Thanks for the help.

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 12:31:37 PM »
I have not mounted one of these myself, but it looks like drilling is only required on guns without a dovetail rear sight.  The instructions indicate that there is a base that mounts in the dovetail and the sight is mounted on the base.  You just need the correct dovetail base to fit a CZ.  The following is copied from Leupold's web site.

Installation
Installation on most handguns requires the use of one of the included mount bases. Leupold recommends utilizing a qualified gunsmith to press/remove the rear sight from your handgun. Once the rear sight has been removed, the appropriate dovetail replaces the rear sight, with the part number facing up. Some installations (Kimber / Smith & Wesson M&P)require the use of the included set screws to be placed in the dovetail to hold it in place and the M4 x 0.7mm Torx® screws will fasten into the dovetail plate extension.
The corresponding mount base for your pistol is placed on top of the slide and over the dovetail with the flat part number side facing up through the slot in the base. Once the dovetail and mount base have been placed on the slide, the DeltaPoint is placed on top of the base. The four holes in the bottom of the DeltaPoint will align with the four short posts on the mount base and secure into the dovetail using the two included M4 x 0.7mm Torx® screws ( Figure 1). Secure the screws by applying 20 inch pounds of torque. Securing these screws creates a press-fit and will hold the  DeltaPoint firmly in place. Call Leupold customer service for details specific to your handgun. For rifle / shotgun applications, the Cross-Slot Mount allows fast and easy mounting on Weaver-style or Picatinny bases / rails.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 12:43:21 PM »
Drift the sight left to right to remove. Use a brass punch, cushioned with a piece of leather or a nylon punch to drift the sight. Hard to move sights usually requires a hard tap with the brass punch. Good luck
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad