Author Topic: CZ 75 Compact - How did/would you set it up for nightstand gun?  (Read 11736 times)

Offline sirgilligan

CZ 75 Compact - How did/would you set it up for nightstand gun?
« on: November 11, 2011, 11:17:05 PM »
I am so impressed with the CZ 85B I am thinking of what I would like for the future. Realize that this idea will not be acted upon for several months. I have a list of things I am going to get and this idea will come in at the end of the queue for now.

I was thinking about a CZ 75 Compact for a night stand / night time usage firearm for self defense.

Night sights seems appropriate. Suggestions?
Crimson Trace Grips. Do they even make them? (I will search myself.)
Trigger work? The trigger should be crisp. Not really lightened, don't want no hair trigger and shoot myself picking the dang thing up!

Anyone have such a setup that can share what worked and what did not on the CZ 75 Compact? Pictures?
Is there an off the shelf setup for this purpose?

I will be doing research and checking back in.

Please understand this is just a thought. Think of it as casual conversation as we all sit around the table and shoot the bull.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:27:18 PM by GhostWarrior »

Offline GM4469

• Authorized Vendor
Re: CZ 75 Compact - How did/would you set it up for nightstand gun?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 11:23:55 PM »
Casual conversation..
For a nightstand gun, home defense I would go shotgun, or full size gun. easier to handle. more firepower, easier to shoot than the compact.

I have always envisioned a compact gun for carry, need to be hidden, easy to carry.
czcustom.com
stuart@czcustom.com

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 11:39:01 PM »
First thanks for joining the casual conversation. Go ahead and help yourself to the virtual fridge.  :cheesy:

Got the 12 gauge pump, with a green fiber optic front sight. It works pretty good.

The CZ 75 Compact seems to be very similar to a SIG P229 in dimension, so even though the name says Compact, it is kind of a small full size. (said with a questioning look)

Heck, it doesn't have to be a CZ 75 Compact, a CZ 75B is fine too. Just talking you know.

On the laser grips, is a CZ 75 Compact also known as a CZ 75 D PCR Compact?.
LG-476Laser Sight for CZ 75 D PCR Compact and CZ P-01Front Activation Lasergrips®Fits: CZ 75 D PCR Compact, CZ P-01 & CZ P-06

Thanks again. By the way, I have to hit the hay and will check in tomorrow when I can. Feel free to have at it while I am gone.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:43:36 PM by sirgilligan »

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 09:12:55 AM »

That's a very good question, and I agree with both of you, more or less. I would personally never have a laser or a flash light attached to the end of any weapon that I used at night for self-defense. The reason being is 2 fold, A) pardon the expression, but it's a dead giveaway to where you actually are. They don't need to see you just aim at the light and the odds are in their favor that they will get a hit in on you. B) either or both of those items will either outright destroy your night vision or at the least seriously interfere with it, since you will not be able to see outside the cone of the light. There is also been some studies done by both the LEO community and the Military than seems to indicate that a laser does not help you reacquire your target faster. If anything it appears to do the reverse. I can guess that is because folks become dependent on the finding the spot/dot rather than keeping the target itself/themself in sight.

But, that's only MHO and everyone gets to have their own, As for the shot gun. well I have a 12 Gauge Pump but with the shortest legal barrel and overall length that a person can own short of a Tax Stamp. I have a 19 inch and an 18 inch Winchesters. The shorter barrel gives you more control, and allows you to move in narrow places and still fire your weapon.

Now we come to my favorite part, The bedside pistol of choice.  For me that is my CZ52 and it's 7.62 x 25 full metal jacket rounds. Nothing says "you got nowhere to hide" than a necked down .30 cal round. And since it's just myself and my wife and we still share the same sleeping arraignments, if I hear something or the alarm I can easily check to see if she's ok and then if so then anything moving in the house other than the cat (and that idiot is on his own) is not supposed to be there. And, unless they are hiding behind a cinder block wall (there are none inside my house) my CZ will punch a round straight through whatever they think is going to protect them. I do not and will not give the bad guys an even break or a fair anything. And forget talking.

I have spent most of my adult life protecting and or saving or trying to save others from harm, and because of that I have ingrained habits and I walk the house with the lights off occasionally just to keep in mind where everything is. I also taught my daughter when she was younger and actually to this day, to hit the floor and stay there until I say it's ok, And when she got old enough to use firearms she had one available locked in a small safe in the bottom drawer. My wife also knows to go to cover if the alarm goes off, just so I don't have to worry or wonder about her or them.

That's just the way I'm wired. Most LEO's and Military are the same way, or at least the ones that have seen the Elephant anyway (shot at and returned fire and lived to tell about it) especially those of us that have spent years doing the jobs we picked. So no I do not expect anyone at all anywhere to adopt what works for me. I am simply pointing out some things a great many people (including "Professionals") either don't know about or have forgotten. I have no problem with you thinking that I am a little over the top and or don't know what I am talking about or even both things at once. But, give this idea a try.

At night, walk your home with the lights out. Or at least the ones that would generally be off at night while you sleep. Do not use a flashlight or anything at all, just close your eyes and after a min or two open them and odds are that you will be able to see as well as you would if you woke up in the middle of the night. Your eyes came adapt to low  light the more they are open. It's not as dark as you would think. So, now carefully walk your home, can you see or sense where things are? Move slowly, this is not something done fast. Ok that's done, now do this. Get a flashlight, (without turning on any house light to do it, presuming of course you aren't already holding one) turn it on, I bet your eyes either closed or you squinted really hard for a second or two when there was suddenly more light in the room. Now look along the path of the light, how easy is it to see what's on the outside of that light cone? Try this with another person in the room and see if you can see them when you don't have the light right on them, even though you could see them fine before you turned on the flashlight. The lights not only messes up your night vision, they also make their own shadows or deeper shadows that makes it hard to see anything in those shadows. And a person can easily hide in that shadowy area and you would never know it. If you have a shot gun, unload it, leave the chamber open so you will KNOW it's not loaded, (well not so much if it's an o/u or s/s) Now walk your house with it at the ready and while you do that see how things work when you try turning a corner. If your barrel is over 20 inches you have to stick a lot of it out into space before you turn the corner or you will find it takes more time and effort to raise the barrel or drop the barrel depending on what you consider "at the ready is" And every single second it takes is that much more time for the other person to either grasp the barrel and take the weapon away or simply shoot you.

Anyway, try it or not, after all this is a casual conversation, about what if's and as usual I have flapped my gums far too long. Not to mention this is a might bit off topic possibly. Kinda depends on whether the orginal question works for this catogory/topic or if it would be more at home in the General Firearms discussion Board?
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 09:27:59 AM »
Thanks for the well thought out post GhostWarrior. I read every line.

If you don't mind if the topic wanders about, I sure don't. Casual conversation.

I don't have access to a crimson trace style laser. Do they light up the room?

Does anyone ever practice firing their pistol with the sights covered with say electrical tape?

I hope you all don't mind this casual conversation. I live a long way from where I was born and raised and don't have my brother and cousins handy at the end of the day to sit around and talk about things.

I just thought of something I am going to try, when no one is at the range to see me do it. I am going to get a small paper bag and punch a whole through the bottom. Reach in from the back of the bag through the hole and have the pistol in the bag. Shoot at a target at 7 yards with the gun in the bag so that I can not see the gun or my hands. I am curious to how I hold the gun and such. I declare that this approach be called the Gilligan training method!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:33:31 AM by sirgilligan »

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 09:51:44 AM »
        Sounds like a good idea but I think it may have a rather painfull draw back. The bag will more  than likely ignite, as in catch fire, as in damn that's hot! and or Ow, ow, ow! And what ever you do DO NOT EVER try that trick with a paper bag and a wheelgun, gun, revolver. Don't ever try that idea with a towel wrapped around the revolver, or even the pistol presuming you can figure a way to wrap the towel with out interfering with the slide or hammer.

In some cases yes the laser, green or red, will in fact partly light up a room, And the beam is even more intense than a flashlights beam, and the green one is even brighter than the red one.

As for the black tape idea, I think it would be pointless to try, for a couple reasons.

In my considered opinion I would very much advise you to take a firearm course and if you have, then you should ask around your friends if any of them shoot and if so would they care to buddy up and go shooting with you.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 11:23:44 AM »
The bag will more  than likely ignite, as in catch fire, as in damn that's hot!

Now that would be fun! Flinging the gun madly while screaming.

I didn't imagine the bag and gun the way you have.

Hole in bottom of small bag, each through hole into bag, bag only has to cover your ability to see the sights. If the gun is in the bag (and the cat out) then the brass would be bouncing around in there too! Ouch Ouch Ouch.

I can never really get into the class mentality. My Dad's school of shooting - "Well _____, just shot the _______ thing."

A laser grip costs so much that it makes me reluctant to just buy it and try it. So I lean on those that have used them.
Night sights, had them on a P229, but that pistol is gone to a new home. I don't think the night sights helped, but I don't think they hurt either.

Ultimately I think a night stand gun should have pointability, if that is a word and even makes sense.
CZ fits that bill, and when it comes to DA/SA, I think CZ may be the best in that catagory. In SA, well, I point my little Belgium Buddy pretty dang good too.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:26:55 AM by sirgilligan »

b5.5dan

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 09:45:17 PM »
I'm sad I missed out on this conversation. We don't have enough casual conversation around here!
I like the idea. I know that a shotgun is best for this purpose, but you also have to remember that hen you have to get up in the middle of the night with nothing on but your Superman undies, it can be nice to know you have something light and maneuverable handy right next to you. I couldn't store a shottie so handily in my room, so either the 75B or the 1911 is always right there...

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 08:27:53 AM »
This is the best time of the year to learn " Point & Shoot" 
Set some kind of target up on fresh snow.  Do NOT use the sights, just point the gun at the target and shoot.  The divit in the snow will tell you which way to adjust your shots. 
PS Empty "TIDE" containers make great targets.

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 01:24:45 PM »
"The bedside pistol of choice.  For me that is my CZ52 and it's 7.62 x 25 full metal jacket rounds. Nothing says "you got nowhere to hide" than a necked down .30 cal round"

GW, very interesting. Reading Wikipedia about the CZ 52, it says "
higher pressure FMJ ammunition fired from the CZ 52 pistol will penetrate even NIJ II rated ballistic vests.

Here's my question, for home protection, would you use FMJ in a 9mm CZ 75B??

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 02:43:56 PM »
                  Yes. Keep in mind though that FMJ does NOT mean the same thing when talking about European Ammo (Russian Surplus I suppose is a perfect example) and American ammo. The Metal used in the Tokerav and Makarov or for that matter most any round is in fact steel and thick steel but not solid steel either. The Metal in American and some other places is really any number of things. Tin and or some combination thereof. The best way to test what your FMJ is made of is by using a magnet, If the round jumps up and sticks to the Magnet it's steel if it doesn't then it's not steel, and does not have the ability to punch through a Level II vest. Frankly I have my doubts about a Tokerav round punching a Level II vest. But I suppose it depends on how the vest was actually constructed.

One other thing. the French have a round called a KTW that is or at least was made out of bronze or also Solid Steel and has a very definite point. I seriously hope that isn't anywhere in the US, it was banned years ago and not just by the US. If you ever find any, I strongly, in no uncertain terms advise you to turn around and get the heck as far away as you can. The BATFE will bury you under the jail if they ever find that round in your possession, It doesn't even have to be in a magazine or a chamber or loaded in a firearm. Instant felony, unless you have the FFL that allows you to possess or make ammunition of that nature. And it had best be up to date with every I dotted and ever T crossed and Stamp in place.

Check the BATFE web site. the last time I ever looked it had the definition of what they consider an AP round. Strangely enough the 7.62x25 round and a couple others are not affected by the restrictions, falling under the Surplus, Antique, collector, C&R? categories. Go figure.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 09:26:47 PM by GhostWarrior »

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 07:35:11 PM »
Thanks for the background information.

Merry Christmas.

b5.5dan

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 07:36:51 PM »
Happy (Merry) Christmas to YOU!  :grin:
Sorry, guys. I may be a bit silly with the holiday greetings today. Usually I'm just mean, but I love Christmas!

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 09:06:59 PM »
Merry Christmas my good CZ pack'in buddies! Merry Christmas I SAY.

b5.5dan

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 10:49:22 PM »
It was a good day